Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2009, 05:19 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
You are making great progress. You might want to consider throwing a couple of straps over the shell to keep it down in the event of a high wind. There are a couple of stories of shells becoming crumpled scrap at this stage. Could be urban myth, but then again, maybe not.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:18 AM   #22
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
good thought.

We are in hurricane season around here. I just hope that we are able to get the shell put back down before anything like that might happen. But then again, if a storm comes in and winds are that high where we are doing the work, then I have bigger things to worry about at the house...
MJMarkhams70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #23
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Hope all of you had a great weekend... it was a very busy weekend and at the moment I am fully wiped out. I pushed through and with the help of the wife making runs to different stores, the metal work is done!!! all the outriggers are replaced, the frame is as close to 100% as I am going to get it, and the step area is rebuilt and "It Works"!!!

The whole thing is coated with POR15 and top coated where anything is exposed to light. Plus it will just look better in the "Aluminum" paint we used. Next weekend the decking goes on...

Old 08-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
It is wonderful to see the progress - quite an impresive job.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #25
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Thank You. I wish I had access during the week to work, but I just have weekends. I could get so much more done. I will be picking up the plywood and the elevator bolts this week. This coming weekend will be a big step forward in the big picture. I ordered 150 bolts/nuts/washers all zinc coated, so they should hold up a little better in the long run. I will coat the bottom of the plywood with water sealer before installing it. Then when all the decking is down seal the whole thing. I cant wait to get the shell back on and move forward on the interior. The next "Big" purchase will be the AC unit. that way we can crank it up and work in a more comfortable area... it has been fun so far...

And I will say we are going to be pushing on that $10K envelope even with doing all the work ourselves...
Old 08-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Boy howdy, that is a shop to kill for! Nice work.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Great job! It's also the dirtiest part of the whole project. Wish I had thought about laying a tarp on the floor. I'm not sure the floor of my shop will ever be the same again. Know what you mean about trips to the store. Its killer losing 45 minutes of project time every time the welder run out of wire or you can't find the right bolt and nut in inventory. I bet I've been through my miscellaneous coffee cans a hundred times in an effort to avoid those trips. The day the plywood was down and the bolt heads covered with Bondo and smoothed was a VERY exciting day. Looks like it'll be righ taround the corner. Good luck.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Looks like you're making great progress, certainly moving faster than I am! It looks like your frame was in better shape than the one for our '74 Sovereign which I am currently working on. I'm doing mine without removing the shell as space would have been an issue.
There is great satisfaction in standing back and looking at a repaired and painted frame.

Grant

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #29
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
I have to agree about the satisfaction of seeing results from your work. I just got back from a lunch run to Fastenal to pick up the elevator bolts/nyloc nuts/washers. I went ahead an ordered 150 witch should take care of the floor. It should also give me some extra to add more piece of mind to bolting down the c-channel. I also picked up a roll of putty tape that I will sandwich between the fenders and the frame before bolting it all together. Fun times...
Old 08-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #30
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Ok, I have made a choice on an alteration to the project. Most likely the first of many.

First off, I would like to give many thanks to 87MH (Dennis) for the generosity and friendship that he has show to a newcomer to the AS life... thanks in addition for some well placed guidance.

With that I have decided to add a gray water tank to my system and I would prefer to set it up like this

which I believe is from a '78 Excella. I need information on the two tanks. I hope that they were supplied by INCA, as it seems that most of their tanks are available. I hope that someone has the numbers on the tanks...then I can fit the same configuration in my unit before I button up the belly... Any info is greatly appreciated...
Old 08-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #31
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
anotherr weekend down and more progress made.

I picked up the plywood on Friday during a long lunch (and boy was it long. but that's another thread all together). Made the trip out to the shop and decided to coat the bottom sides of all the decking with water sealer for a little extra protection.

Saturday morning we started by cutting the 1/2" filler strips that reinforce the seams of the plywood and screwed them to the cross supports. After I dry fitted the sheets. I also picked up a sheet of 1/4" to scribe templates from the shell. that took longer than I was hoping, but I wanted them to be correct. for the most part got about half of the new sub-floor bolted down by 5:00 pm. Today I finished up the floor and cut a few hole for plumbing...

Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #32
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
progress is amazing!

well, the dog looks as if he/she has worked hard! you certainly have had experience doing resto. Your work and progress speed is really great. Keep us posted. it's a beaut so far!
ol' bill the newbie-with his eye on a 74 for a rebuild....
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Really nice work! Did you get any info on those tanks? What size is the space that you have for them? I'm looking myself right now.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #34
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
I am working on a plan adding the dual tank setup under the rear floor. I would guess that as long as I dont do a lot of driving with full tanks, that the additional weight is not going to make a great deal of difference. I am in the process of doing measured drawings in order to get some quotes on making a custom setup. I will post up what I come up with so that I can get some feedback before I make the leap.

I do have a question. Can I flush the gray water tank through the black water tank to purge instead of just wasting that water?
Old 08-19-2009, 06:27 AM   #35
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
For what it is worth.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
I do have a question. Can I flush the gray water tank through the black water tank to purge instead of just wasting that water?
First off, congrats. I will be following your thread very closely, as I just brought home a '70 Overlander yesterday. What you have done already is beyond impressive.

Do you plan on boondocking at all? The only reason that I, as a totally green AS'er chose to try and answer your question is the current lack of a grey water tank in mine is going to hit home right away, and hard. We boondock almost exclusively. We also go through lots and lots of grey water. Having the seperate tank made it possible for me to empty the gray tank using a bucket. But now having them combined in one tank, I will have no choice but to do the nasty.

So if you only plan on camping with full hookups, your plan to use the grey to help flush the black is excellent. But if you ever plan on boondocking, having seperate valves on each tank is in my opinion, the only way to go.

Best of luck on your project. Although it appears luck has nothing to do with it.

Best,
Wuttevr
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #36
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
I appreciate all the supportive comments... I did some thinking on my tank setup today.

this is what I came up with:

a two tank setup that allows for gray water to be directly purged through the rear gate, or to be purged through the black water tank to assist in cleaning that out. it would also give me some backup tank if I need to hold more gray water before dumping. from my calculations, the gray would be roughly 34 gal. and the black about 22 gal. for a combined of roughly 56 gal.

Thoughts?

Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
All I can say is.... AMAZING!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Great looking work and I also like the BIG MAN garage/shop!!

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:45 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
All I can say is.... AMAZING!
Double that from me -

Just one suggestion - while you are plumbing on the curb side, add a 1" inlet with a valve on the curb side of both the black and the gray tanks.

A direct connection to a hose on the "back" side of the tanks would be the most efficient "power wash" I could think of. The pressurized fresh water would wash straight across the entire length of the tanks to the drain outlets. Maybe put a "quick connect" on the hose fittings?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #40
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
no pictures, sorry. Got the fresh water tank installed and the black/gray water frame modifications done. I believe that it will work out nicely. I will shoot some pics next time I go out.

I am going to pick up some 2" foam insulation panels this next week so that I can get closer to putting the belly pan back on...

I will put this in the classifieds as well, but if any of you have upgraded to a fantastic and still have the aluminum vent cover lying around, I would be interested in seeing if I might acquire it...

Tags
1970 overlander, 27'