Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
What did you use for paint and primer? That will be the first thing we do in the spring, so I'm interested in yours. Looks very good!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #202
2 Rivet Member

I'd be interested in more details about your flooring. What is it called? where did you find it? How much does it cost? Do you like it now that you have a bit of it down? Any info you can share would be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #203
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
What did you use for paint and primer? That will be the first thing we do in the spring, so I'm interested in yours. Looks very good!

Kay
the paint is a primer based paint that is tintable. the manufacturer is Zinsser. It's an all surface paint.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #204
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wworx View Post
I'd be interested in more details about your flooring. What is it called? where did you find it? How much does it cost? Do you like it now that you have a bit of it down? Any info you can share would be appreciated.

The company that has the flooring is a company called Altro.

heres a link.

Altro - Marine 20

I can put you in touch with the rep if you are interested. it ended up being more expensive that regular flooring but I think that it will be a far superior floor than I could have otherwise installed.

MJM
Old 02-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #205
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Well, I wish I could have gotten more done on the AS than I did, but it wasnt a bad weekend.

A big milestone, one of which several at the Blanco Rally urged me to do, was to get 4 new tires. I was running on borrowed time with the old dry rotted tires. I just started having visions of blow outs and torn aluminum. Not that even new tires can be guaranteed, but at least they are not cracked and dry.

I started sanding/filling/cleaning the fixtures for the bath today. i decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and get some better filler from a Marine supplier rather than just the cheap "bondo" from the auto parts store. it supposedly will expand/contract/flex with the plastic parts better from my research. I am going to be starting the plumbing system as well so it will be easier to run the water supply lines. I have made a decision to run the water lines similarly to home systems. I am going to install distribution manifolds in the rear compartment and go from there out to the various fixtures. one of my questions is, would there be any benefit to run a separate water line from the water pump back to the distribution manifold and then out to the various fixtures, or use the same line from the manifold to the kitchen sink to back-supply cold water to the rest of the system when not on city water. who knows...

more to come... I will get some photos of fixtures soon...
Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #206
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
On the way home from work today, I picked up two rolls of 3/4" PEX (red/blue) to run all the main water lines in the trailer. I went back and forth with the choice of 1/2 or 3/4, but in the end just said 3/4. While on city water it should deliver PLENTY of volume for all our needs, and while on the pump, it shouldnt be too bad. my plan is to elevate the PEX off the floor by about 1" and wrap all the hot water lines with foam pipe insulation. I may do the cold water lines as well just for a little protection if there was opportunity for temps to drop below freezing while we are out camping. who knows...may be a non issue. it might just make it a little quieter.

what a learning experience this is turning out to be. the journey is half the fun
Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #207
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Pex

Think I'm going to do the same thing when I do my plumbing. Never know when the next "big freeze" will hit Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
On the way home from work today, I picked up two rolls of 3/4" PEX (red/blue) to run all the main water lines in the trailer. I went back and forth with the choice of 1/2 or 3/4, but in the end just said 3/4. While on city water it should deliver PLENTY of volume for all our needs, and while on the pump, it shouldnt be too bad. my plan is to elevate the PEX off the floor by about 1" and wrap all the hot water lines with foam pipe insulation. I may do the cold water lines as well just for a little protection if there was opportunity for temps to drop below freezing while we are out camping. who knows...may be a non issue. it might just make it a little quieter.

what a learning experience this is turning out to be. the journey is half the fun
2Rhinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #208
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
I checked out the Altro marine 20 link. It is very interesting to note that they have wall systems to match the flooring. Its starting the wheels turning regarding shower walls.
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #209
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
It's a really good product and the wall systems can be heat formed/bent, so that you could make some interesting custom bath walls. I am thinking of using a piece of the wall system to complete the wall of my shower.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #210
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
I am about to go out and start working on the trailer in a bit but thought I would update what I did yesterday. I glued down the flooring in the bath area and started running the PEX. I cut some treated wood blocks and screwed them to the floor to elevate the tubing from the floor. this will allow me to insulate, at very least, the hot water lines. I installed the outside connection to the frame and ran a short length of copper up into the rear of the trailer to connect my PEX lines to. I am hoping that I can find a little more attractive solution to the several brass fittings where the city line connects, but for now it will work.

I will get some pics later today and post them up... have a great day guys.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #211
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
here are a few shots of the plumbing. Didn't get as much done as I would have liked but something is bette than nothing.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #212
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
well my friends, it has been a while since I last posted. it has been really crazy at work and the hours I have been working have not be conducive to coming home and working on the AS. So, now that the schedule will get back to some sort of normality, I am getting back to work.

I purchased all the supplies to refinish the bathroom fixtures and rear end cap and have started that process. I have the sink refinished and and will move on the the other parts tomorrow. I will try to get pics of the work I am doing. I hope that I can have the bathroom in within about 2 weeks so that I can start building out the center bunk area.

I hope that you guys stay safe as you start the camping season to come.

MJM
Old 05-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #213
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
The 800 lb. Gorilla.....

in the room is-

Is she going to be ready for the trip to Jellystone in August? You and I shall talk this week, EH?

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #214
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
It was fun when I started

painting the fixtures started our being fun, but now I just cant wait for it to be wrapped up. I am tired of the prepping, mixing spraying, waiting, praying, waiting, praying and then cleaning up the mess. but with that said I am pleased with the results that I am getting.

before:

After:

not too bad... more to come.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #215
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Looks great Michael! I must have missed what you were using to paint it with. I'm to the point of needing to paint my bathroom plastics. I bought some 3M semi-rigid plastic repair kits to fix the cracks. Any info you can share would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #216
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
while I was at it I sprayed a sink for a friend...

not too bad. better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #217
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Looks great Michael! I must have missed what you were using to paint it with. I'm to the point of needing to paint my bathroom plastics. I bought some 3M semi-rigid plastic repair kits to fix the cracks. Any info you can share would be much appreciated. Thanks!
you didnt miss anything my friend, I was remiss in including the information in previous posts. I did some research and talked with some folks in the refinishing world and was led to the choice of using some PPG products for my project. The primer is one that the automotive world uses to prime abs and other plastics before painting and then an acrylic based top coat that they swear will hold up to the use that it will get in the AS for years to come.

The only thing I have yet to spray is the bath end cap, so that will be the next step...
Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #218
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Thanks Michael. I don't plan on painting it myself. I'm looking for a good body shop to spray the paint for me. I'm just doing the prep work like repairing the cracks and light sanding.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #219
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Looks fantastic, Michael! Renewing that old, faded plastic is one of the most rewarding steps. And I hear you on the prep work. It feels like it will never end.

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #220
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
more work tomorrow. hopefully I can get the rest of the parts ready to install and wrap up the plumbing and get the bathroom installed. I think once that is done, I can make some significant progress relatively quickly on getting the rest of the trailer built out.

Tags
1970 overlander, 27'