Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #181
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
the first coat of the top-coat is on, and I dare say that I like the way it's looking. I think it will be a good addition to the ol' 70. A little here and a little there...
Old 10-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #182
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Mark,
You've come a long way!! Don't get discouraged. I have also had to scale back to things that don't cost too much...I was going to get the trailer today and do some more polishing, cheap to do but very labor intensive. I have some leftover wood so I was going to potentially look at sizing up remaking the front cabinet.
Russ
JSTOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #183
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Mark,
Were you West bound on I-10 near Sealy around 4:00 pm yesterday? Thought I spotted you and your AS.
2Rhinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #184
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Yep, that was us. we were taking the AS out to the in-laws in Columbus so that we can avoid another letter from the HOA... We will be getting a storage room so that we can keep it closer to home.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #185
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Now that we are past our Disney vacation, I can focus on the AS once again. I am going to, in the next week, finish up the wiring the best that I can so I can finish insulating and get the inner wall skin back in. That will allow us to be able to attend the Blanco Rally on Dec 10th and at least be able to keep us warm inside with a heater. I think having another date planned will give me a date to shoot for. And not a pie in the sky date to have it completed just a major hurdle. I will get together some picture and post them up this weekend of where we stand as of now.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #186
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Well for the past few evenings after work, I have been working on the wiring in the AS. I feel like I am almost ready to start reinstalling wall panels this weekend!!!! I really hope that it works out that way. I have a few more things to do, but they are relatively small things, so I al feeling good about it. We are planning on pulling it a few hours away for the Blanco campout on the 10th. It should be a fun weekend. Our first tent camping experience in the trailer, waaaaaaaahhhhhhooooooo!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #187
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Everything takes twice as long as you expect it to. Las night I started putting up the wall panels. IT is most certainly NOT my favorite thing to do, just short of Vulcem. I will get some picture this evening so that you guys can see where it's at now. It is still not pretty, but some day...
Old 12-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #188
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
In The End.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
Everything takes twice as long as you expect it to. Las night I started putting up the wall panels. IT is most certainly NOT my favorite thing to do, just short of Vulcem. I will get some picture this evening so that you guys can see where it's at now. It is still not pretty, but some day...
......It will all be worth it. Keep it up, Bruthaman! Yes. Riveting wall panels up isn't very sexy. But before long, you will we surrounded by the smell of just-cut mahogany as you put the finishing touches on your new galley. Or hanging your new 26" flat panel LCD. Or better still-unhitching your slough for the first time, right next to the Madison river, deep in Yellowstone Park. Or.................

Pthththththth. Just Get 'Er Done!

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #189
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
After a grueling last week, we took the AS to Blanco for a weekend Rally. It went smoothly and and we had no problems. I wasnt sure that we were going to be able to make it, but it worked out. I was still putting up panels at 6:30 PM on Friday. I took the day off which made it possible to get it to a point where we could tent camp in her. I promise I will go out and get some picture tomorrow so that you guys can see where we are in the process. I can wait to get the AS to the point where we are using her on a regular basis.

the trip went by without a hitch, but I did however catch some grief from a couple of people for driving the 3.5 hours on some pretty rough tires. I know that it was a risk, but it worked out this time. I am glad that we took her out, it was truly inspiration to make some substantial process more quickly. I LOVED our first AIRSTREAM outing...
Old 12-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #190
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Mark,
Just finished reading your whole post. It was great to meet you and see all the great work you have done on your trailer! If I'd have read all this BEFORE Blanco, I would have asked you a thousand more questions! I know it must have been a nail biter to get all ready for the Rally. Great work!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #191
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
here are a few pics of the work that has been going on. I am going to be bringing the trailer back home on Sunday, so more will be added after that.

I built an "electrical box" that houses the light switches by the front door of the trailer. I hope that it should serves well in the event that I want to add any future switches

just an interior shot of the mess...

I am curious if I will have any issues if I have to tilt the water heater to match the outside wall?

This is the trailer in Blanco weekend before last... It was a BLAST even with nothing in the trailer

Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #192
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Great work Michael. Keep on track. See you at the next rally in March or April.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #193
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
More progress- I think

it was a beautiful day today here in Katy, so I got out and worked on the AS. I think my next steps will be doing the plumbing so I need to get all the bathroom fixture up to par so they can be re-installed soon. I had some fiberglass work to do on the sink so I worked on that. It took longer to prep the darn thing than to do the glassing... I did replace the piece of plywood under the thing as the original was busted up a bit.

After I got that done I decided to test fit the fixtures so that I could find out if everything was going to fit back together before I did a bunch of work on all of it and then find out that something had to be modified. now i have to prep it all and refinish the parts...

more to come soon...
Old 01-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #194
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
oh, anyone know how to remove the sliding doors from the shower cabinet?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #195
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
I do. And I was going to ask you what you used to coat the marine grade plywood before you installed it.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #196
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Sliding doors

Quote:
Mine came out by simply lifting up, releasing the bottom from the track. If for some reason that doesn't work, the bottom track could just be removed by taking out the 3 or 4 srews that run down through the bottom.

Do I see a pneumatic rivet gun in that last picture? Sheesh!

You are getting to the good stuff now. You won't believe what some glass, bondo, and several coats of paint will do to the look of those old, faded plastic parts.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #197
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Why yes Chris, that is a pneumatic riveter. 87MH was a very gracious friend and loaned it to me. I will say, If I do any huge amounts of riveting in the future, I will buy one.

I tried lifting the doors from the lower track and it didnt lift quite enough to get the bottom to pull out. I will give it another go. by the way, that cabinet is quite ugly...
Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #198
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Never Mind My Jealousy

Quote:
Why yes Chris, that is a pneumatic riveter. 87MH was a very gracious friend and loaned it to me. I will say, If I do any huge amounts of riveting in the future, I will buy one.

I tried lifting the doors from the lower track and it didnt lift quite enough to get the bottom to pull out. I will give it another go. by the way, that cabinet is quite ugly...
I would love to say that real men use manual rivet guns. But the truth is, cheap men use them.

Just take the screws out on the bottom track, and the whole ugly mess should slip out.

And BTW- 'ugly' doesn't due that cabinet justice. Can you say "shower curtain"?

Keep it up my friend. I love the smell of paint.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #199
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
we were very fortunate that a fellow Airstreamer and great friend, replaced his gaucho and graciously gave us his original. it will be a great addition and well used in our 70.

I believe that the AS that it came from is a 74 and I wasn't there to help remove it, so Im not quite sure as to where the swiveling bracket attaches to the inside walls. if anyone has pic/info on installation, it would help a bunch...

i will be getting out and doing some work, so there will be more pics soon... now that the ice is gone and temps are above 32... i know there are a lot of you guys that are snowed under so our little winter experience is nothing...
Old 02-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #200
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Worked on the AS yesterday and today. Finished up riveting the interior panels, did a little more wiring. scrubbed the interior and then lain on a few coats of paint. it looks sooooooo much better now that the wall are a consistent color.

the next thing on my list is starting the plumbing, which will include resurfacing the bathroom fixtures. I was test fitting the bird nest of plumbing today which you can see in the pics. I may consider rebuilding the whole drain/vent system. but who knows.

I am going to install some really cool flooring that I got from a company that supplies the commercial industry. it is a flooring that is used in showers, around pools and wet areas to prevent slipping. it has a small texture similar to that of a football. It will run all the way to the walls under the bathroom fixtures. more to come soon.

Tags
1970 overlander, 27'