Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Ny , New York
Help value 1976 overlander

Found a 76 overlander international ,1 owner ,not used in 10 yrs ,,but kept outdoors ,no rear sag ,axles not sure yet as its on it jacks. Frame only surface rust exept by stairs (that i can see ,,no tire cracking , no dents ,,, was not for sale , i stopped and asked ,,old nice couple ,,all original Whats the value ?? Helpppppp.
Bill lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Check this website out...be sure to read all the qualifications. It'll give you some values...$1,200 - $16,500 depending on condition. Most likely, the one you are looking at is in "as-found to average" condition. Sitting unused for 10 years is not a good thing...definately will need new tires and systems checked. If it was not winterized properly, it could have major systems issues.

If this one isn't for sale, the info on the linked website will help in tracking down one that is. Good luck!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Ny , New York
Wow ,,above average ,,axles tires floor frame interior ,,,,a real time capsule ,,,rug faded ,,curtians need replaced .. Only used a few times :-)) 12000??
Old 10-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
It will need tires and axles.
You will want a new fridge and water heater, possibly the furnace as well as the AC.
$7,500 max
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:54 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Ny , New York
Tires have been replaced ,, axles fine too :-))) replace the fridge ??. Why ?
Old 10-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The way I see it, the value of these trailers has a base of $1000-2000 for a shell that is in good shape. Start adding dollars for things that have been actually done, and things that don't need to be done. For example, if the axles have been replaced, add $1500 to the base price. If the refrigerator is fully functional, add $500, if the floor is completely solid, add a couple thousand, and so on. So there is a huge range of value, and you won't know what it is worth unless you go through it with a fine toothed comb (see the buyers inspection checklist available on the Portal page).

Some examples of the range are:

An appropriately priced $2000 trailer will have a shell that is in good shape, but will likely have rotten spots in the floor, especially in the rear end, possible rotting frame undder the rotting floor, will be siitting on the original axles (which only last about 25 years), and will have 40 year old appliances that are only partially functional.

For $10000-12000, the trailer should have had the axles replaced, the appliances all fully functional, no rot in the floor, no rear-end separation, useable soft goods (drapes, mattresses, upholstery), fully functioning major systems (electrical, plumbing, water), and has been camped in in the last year or so. All the "heavy lifting" has either been done already, or isn't needed.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Help value 1976 overlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill lock View Post
Tires have been replaced ,, axles fine too :-))) replace the fridge ??. Why ?

When we drug it home, by the DOT code, one of the tires on our new to us 75 AS (a few months ago) could have been original - tread was fine, no cracking - all tires replaced (newest one was 16 years old).
I'd double check the axle(s). Our original axles are in the middle by this:
http://www.inlandrv.com/articles/dur...xle-92001.html
Fridge - pilot light vs electronic ignition. I prefer a 3 way fridge with electronic ignition.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
mine sat outside for 18 years or more. Ununsed.It needed plumbing as it had not been winterized, easily replace with PEX. Tires, though it made it home 50 miles on the cracked old ones, driven slowly and carefully. Had frame rust that was mostly surface, at the step area as well. I had a metal support plate welded under there and coated the cleaned up area in POR15.
The "needs axles" mania here is out of control...driven by the "needs sales"...if the bearings are ok and the tires are replaced as needed you can tow and worry about axles later. I have been towing mine 4 years now. A friend towed his 66 all over the country this past Summer with original axles. Yes it will ride a bit harder due to the dry rubber in them, but I have not lost any rivets or had anything at all break.
The old fridges are beastly and usually still work, though mine was rusted through at the back due to a leak in the vent. I fixed the floor and found a 67 model Dometic that fit perfectly.
These things sell well in to the teens and higher if they look good. And almost no buyer will know if it "needs axles".
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Joshua Tree , California
I purchased our '76 Argosy 26' for 6000 in January. Only major issue was the plumbing that was not winterized. Exterior has no dents. All appliances work though not sure about water heater. I'm sure tires should be replaced before major trip. Axles are probably original. All soft goods are in great condition. Floor is solid. The PO was asking 8000 but "didn't know" about the plumbing problem. Good luck!
StarckMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I have an original (not restored) '67 Overlander. I wouldn't take $12,000 for it. The fridge is also original and still works fine. The secret is never let it be out of level while cooling for more that 15 or 20 minutes. I am still on original axles but we don't travel as far as we once did because of family illness so we simply travel more slowly esp on rough roads. If your trailer has not been used a lot, the axles may have years of use in them. Yes, the rubber stiffens a bit with age but doesn't wear out sitting. Mine has always been out side in the weather, but SC weather is mostly mild. Just be mindful of leaks and possible rot in the plywood subfloor.

You will get a lot of opinionated advice on tires in the Forums, so use your own intelligence. My bias is toward Good Year Marathon ST's because they are reasonably priced and 14 years of experience with them including some long trips in very hot weather has been excellent. My advice on tires is take good care of them and almost any proper size and type of tire will serve you well. Seems I recall comments on a tire thread by a very knowledgeable person whom I think called himself "Tireman" or something like that. You might want to look for it as his knowledge was extensive and comments contained a lot of factual data. If not, a good tire dealer will be able to give you standard information on tire pressures, load ranges, etc.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
We own a 72,,, and love it as is.. That is to say I am enough old school to value the simple systems that were used back in that day of time.. For example.. The old ice box other than the door sags a little works just fine.. A little push with ones toe shuts the door just fine.

The furnace made a lot of noise but a take down and clean up and get the mud wasp nest out of the fan cages and a good shot of sync motor oil on the blower motor it runs as well as the day it was new..

I am not impresses with all the micro circuit boards and such used in newer day items like the heater and fridge.. When a clean up and oil fixes what I got for another 30 years I think that is wonderful and worth protecting.

I have read too many complaints and worries about newer items that just will not work,, and they wont work till you spend the $$$$$$$ and buy all the newer parts that seem to just go south with no warnings ..

Just call me a old fart,, who values what worked for 40 years ,, tells me it might last me the rest of my life,, as is..

We gave $7500 for ours but we did need to replace the tires and axles. Not a biggie but I feel we are well with in reason for our investment.

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #12
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
I purchased a 1970 safari 23 LY in june /14 for apprx $8-8500us.(I'm in BC canada) .It is a fairly rare model with the rear side bathroom. It had sat for almost 3 years as the PO had passed away and his wife just left it parked . It had "new" wheels and tires and a new fridge the month before he passed away. The furnace was about a year old . It was usable!! upholstery was redone but not well. The professional installation of the new taller fridge was poorly done. The cabinet work was poor but totally useable . I purchased it as a project and liked that i had a lot of upgraded appliances etc i could use. A lot of people would have used it fine for several years.

I gutted all the cabinets...shower ..toilet etc ...removed the back half of the floor to find a cracked black tank and rear end rot(not a surprise)..good frame...added New Axles..2 grey tanks and 1 black ...all new cabinets... flooring.. fans.. upgraded all plumbing and most of the electrical ..new upholstery ...led lights and more...more. I kept the original stove which we loved andI restored it...I pressure tested the hot water 3 times and kept it too (probably regret that later). Basically I wanted a modern upgraded unit that still had the classic airstream feel to it.

After travelling on the "new" tires for 5000mi last winter I have just replaced the tires with a better rated.... having only 1 axle I wanted to feel better about my tires, especially as we head out on another long trip.

I think you can easily spend $6-10,000 on a airstream and still be able to spend another $10-12,000 ....I know i have....LOL ...good luck and just think about how much of a project you want or can do.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:13 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Well said Sodbust....
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
I have an original (not restored) '67 Overlander. I wouldn't take $12,000 for it. The fridge is also original and still works fine. The secret is never let it be out of level while cooling for more that 15 or 20 minutes. I am still on original axles but we don't travel as far as we once did because of family illness so we simply travel more slowly esp on rough roads. If your trailer has not been used a lot, the axles may have years of use in them. Yes, the rubber stiffens a bit with age but doesn't wear out sitting. Mine has always been out side in the weather, but SC weather is mostly mild. Just be mindful of leaks and possible rot in the plywood subfloor.
There you go, another testimony to the great Overlanders of the 60s and early 70s. Once the vinyl and plastic era started, the trailers lost something for me. Though I truly enjoyed our 78 and 81- 31 footers. Just something about the older ones that drew me in.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 10-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Ny , New York
Omg ,,it sooo solid .. Been working on it ,,gonna keep it ,,we love it !!!!
Old 10-22-2015, 03:15 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Ny , New York
New allure trafficmaster floor now installed :-))))
Old 10-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
WE HAVE THAT AS WELL. Cork look. Love it
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!