Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Tryon , North Carolina
Furnace question

Hi,
I have a 69/70 (title and vin says 1969, but in the Airstream spec sheet the interior looks like a 70)Overlander and the furnace that is in it is a NT22a and is shot, unless I can find lots of parts(mostly a combustion chamber). So, what do I replace it with? Do I replace it with a Suburban NT20sq or a Suburban NT30sp? Or do I replace it with something else? What would require the least bit of retrofitting? I would like to use the original ducting, but that looks unlikely with the 20sq.
Planning a complete refit with the trailer, and currently living in it with just electric ceramic heaters.
Thank you all for a look at my issue!
Al
69Silvrbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Aluminum Addict

Gastonia , North Carolina
Using an NT furnace would be a good choice. The Suburban line of furnaces of today will be a close but not an exact replacement. You'll likely have to do some sheet metal work to get the ducting to line up correctly. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
A new NT30SP furnace is smaller than the NT22a, so you'll have to build it a platform to get it up to the height of the intake/exhaust ports in the skin of the trailer.

You can build the platform as a plenum to attach ducts to, but you'll likely have to modify the ends of the ducts somewhat to get it all hooked up.

They're not particularly cheap, but have a lot of nice advantages over the NT22a. They're rated for a lower amp draw for the fan motor, and they're spark ignition rather than a pilot light.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
They're rated for a lower amp draw for the fan motor, and they're spark ignition rather than a pilot light.
Interesting. Perhaps it is flat out wrong, but my AS owner's manual suggests my 22 draws roughly half the amps of what an NT30 does; one of the reasons I decided to keep it. I always assumed that was why it was so much quieter, which was another reason. And as you already mentioned, $550 was the cheapest I could find one, which was the third.............

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote