Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2019, 03:41 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
I have no regrets after doing the full monty on my '61 Spaceliner. I've probably got $55K into it and way too many hours to count. But she's got all the latest and greatest and go everywhere with her.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:28 PM   #22
Loading Best Life

1970 27' Overlander
NASHVILLE , TN
I just purchased a gutted out 1970 Overlander 27' TODAY! The sub floors look good, will cover with a nice vinyl dark wood pattern. Replace all copper with PEX. Likely replace insulation, fuse panel, batteries, inverter...etc. I priced this out with paint, lighting, my own custom cabinets at $4,500. I buy materials (apart from water heater and electric) resale from Habitat Restore, Craigslist, Pawn Shops, Old barns in Tennessee (I literally pull up to farm houses with barns and ask to see if they want to get rid of anything). Am I delusional in thinking this is a realistic budget for a restore?
Acorn Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Barlow View Post
I just purchased a gutted out 1970 Overlander 27' TODAY! The sub floors look good, will cover with a nice vinyl dark wood pattern. Replace all copper with PEX. Likely replace insulation, fuse panel, batteries, inverter...etc. I priced this out with paint, lighting, my own custom cabinets at $4,500. I buy materials (apart from water heater and electric) resale from Habitat Restore, Craigslist, Pawn Shops, Old barns in Tennessee (I literally pull up to farm houses with barns and ask to see if they want to get rid of anything). Am I delusional in thinking this is a realistic budget for a restore?
Ask almost anyone who has started and finished a resto and they will tell you to triple your estimates of cost and time.

Of course how much it costs you depends on how much you are willing to spend, and it will end up costing exactly that and no more before you are either finished or sell it at that stage. (Curious fact: how much you are willing to spend is, I swear to the BigGuy, influenced by the trailer itself, and not, as you might think, you)

As to whether you are delusional, I decline to answer as it may incriminate me and any other vintage owner.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:08 AM   #24
33 foot Spartan Royal Man

Currently Looking...
Guelph , ontario
On flooring, I got this for my Spartan, light weight, bit of insulation, relatively sustainable.. lower height than laminates.. http://www.lumberliquidators.ca/can/...bambootilecork Watch for sales down to $1.50 / sq ft.
Spartan Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:19 PM   #25
Loading Best Life

1970 27' Overlander
NASHVILLE , TN
Thanks for the tip. You're the 2nd I've heard of using cork flooring, seriously considering it.
Acorn Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote