Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #841
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Here's a little better pic of the radius area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Couch frame 8.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	98340  

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #842
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Taking copious notes on this bit. I really want a front Dinette in my '73. Nice job Jim and Susan!!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #843
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Jim
Looks great!!! If you're going to springstream (are you?), you'll need cushions. Check out georgezink and his post on thread "cushions for sofa/bed" he let me try it out, I didnt want to get back up! Absolutely great, but also absolutely pricey. I love that latex but some people have allergies I'm just allergic to the price.
Kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #844
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Looking great Jim! It appears you're making the streetside longer than the curbside, sort of a "loungette" area maybe?

This is what I'm planning for mine as well. I should be able to make it long enough for me to sleep there head-to-toe, and then my wife should be short enough to sleep on the shorter curbside. That way we won't have to sleep transverse which would force the inside person to crawl over the outside person if the need arises to get up in the middle of the night.

Keep us updated, you're really moving along now!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #845
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Thanks guys. Kevin, we plan to go to Springstream, have a reservation for site B4. Are y'all planning on making the trip? Be good to see you again. I may not be able to get the cushions for the couch done by then, tho. Well maybe the foam in place, but without upholstery (see my next post). I'll check out George's thread.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 03-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #846
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Marcus, the idea for the bed area is to make the table top to drop down to fill up the entire area to the size of a queen mattress. The dimensions from the door opening to the front of the camper are almost exactly the width of a queen mattress. Side to side (meaning, head to toe) is a bit larger than a queen, so in reality, the whole thing will be like an "over-sized" queen. I guess it's just because I live with back problems, but I'm into "more comfortable" these days.

I'm still trying to decide what to do with the area next to the fridge. Ultimately, there will be some combination of drawers and shelves there in a cabinet with the TV mounted in there somewhere with a DVD/BlueRay player. I'll take a picture of that spot and maybe y'all can help me come with sumpin' that works.

BTW, if y'all haven't seen this thread, go take a look at Zep's work here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...tte-61122.html Also take a stroll thru PizzaChop's photos. I've stolen many ideas from these fellows.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 03-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #847
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Here's a couple of pic's next to the fridge. Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelf area 1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	98390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelf area 2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	98391  

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 03-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #848
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Here's a couple of pic's next to the fridge. Ideas?
I put a small side table with two shelves next to the fridge. It's just right for a microwave, but I need to move the 12V/TV outlet up the wall a bit. Photos soon on the dinette thread (thanks for the shout out, btw).

Zep
Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #849
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Jim, finally got up to see pizzachop, he showed me the dinette setup its cool how you can go from table to bed in a minute or two. What a great family, we had never met before but treated me like a long lost friend. Not to mention the best pizza you'll ever eat.
Probably be at springstream, wont know till last minute, kind of funny I own two trailers but will be staying at the ramada...again! I need to get moving like you are!!!
Kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #850
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
How about a place to store cookie sheets and the like... Its looking great though!!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #851
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Well, we got an estimate from a "friend of friend" for the cushions and upholstery for the wrap around couch area in the front. $1500 on the low end to $1700 on the high end, depending on the fabric. Looks like I'm going to have to learn to sew.....

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #852
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Quote:
Well, we got an estimate from a "friend of friend" for the cushions and upholstery for the wrap around couch area in the front. $1500 on the low end to $1700 on the high end, depending on the fabric. Looks like I'm going to have to learn to sew.....

Jim
Compared to all the other work you've done sewing should be a breeze, . It's not that hard, just do your homework and take your time, you'll learn.

Smiles, Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #853
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:

Jim
Wow! Sounds like you need a sweatshop of your own!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #854
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post
Compared to all the other work you've done sewing should be a breeze, . It's not that hard, just do your homework and take your time, you'll learn.

Smiles, Mary
Sheesh, Mary, I think you have a lot more confidence in me than I have! My mom is actually a very good seamstress, she may be my best coach. On second thought, She may try and take over and we may end up with pink flowery stuff all over the cabin.

Marcus, you and "The Crew" from the sweatshop aren't headin' East for an extended vacation anytime soon, are you?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 04-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #855
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Summerfield , North Carolina
Quote:
Hi Guys, it's me again.

Ok, So we're about to begin taking the interior skins down. I have a few questions before we begin.

1) How essential is it that we have the trailer COMPLETELY level before we remove the skins? I know I need to support the aft end of the camper with jacks to avoid bending things....but we have leveled the trailer using the on-board levels on the forward end and the trailer still "looks" out of level. I intend to borrow an 8 foot level this weekend and check the true level of the camper, in as much as that is possible with an 8 foot level.

BTW, the reason we're completely removing the skins is three fold--water leaks, the plywood "sub-floor" has to be completely replaced and we need to clean EVERYTHING to get the left over smells out.

2) Cleaning the skins. I have seen reference in the threads to a "purple stuff" industrial type cleaner. Does anyone have a name brand? I have a friend who is an A&P mechanic with a "major Airline" and they use it, too, but he doesn't know the brand.

3) Once the skins are down, I assume that I should not move the trailer any more than absolutely neccessary because they are part of the actual structure of the trailer, correct?

4) I have several questions about floor replacesment, but I think I'll wait a couple of weeks on those.

5) Malconium, you and I talked a couple of weeks back in another thread about painting the interior skins. I looked at a '67 Tradewind this past weekend (not for sale, darn it!) that had been painted with a flat latex some years ago. Other than the fact that it was "flat" paint, it still looked pretty good (no peeling, bubbling, etc). And this was after several years of wear. Unfortunately, the camper was parked at the home of the son of the owners who are now in their 80's and nobody could remember the specifics of when/what name brand paint, etc. This trailer appeared to have vinyl clad alum, simular to my '73. This paint was rolled/brushed on, apparently. Right now, I'm leaning toward a careful roller/brush application on mine. I would greatly appreciate input from anybody who used this approach in the past and who has several years of wear and tear to report on.

A few pictures for now. I'll be posting more in my user area. I have literally dozens of pics of the dismanteling process if anybody needs me to email them. There doesn't seem to be a lot of pics available for early '70's Overlander remodels (or maybe I'm not looking hard enough!).

Believe it or not, that Univolt actually works. I'm going to replace it with something more modern. It'll be for sale at a nominal price if anybody's interested.

Zep Industrial Purple - got a gallon at Home Depot and it has turned out to be the best "heavy-duty" cleaner I've found (tried allot too). Smells bad (as in "industrial") and you need to vent the place. I even had to thin mine down with water. It takes off grease, grime, etc. Good scrubbing!

Daniel
todanielm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #856
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Quote:
Here's a little better pic of the radius area.
Can I ask the height of the top of the bench and the thickness of the cushions you plan to use?

Thanks,

Gene
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #857
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
Can I ask the height of the top of the bench and the thickness of the cushions you plan to use?

Thanks,

Gene
Gene, somehow I forgot to answer your question here. It's been a while, but here goes.

The base is exactly 12" from the floor. The plywood "seat" is an additional 5/8th's and we plan to use 6" foam. That will put it about 18 & 5/8ths total up from the floor. This is a little short once you allow for the compression of the foam, but I think we can live with it.

We're about to get started on the galley and hopefully finish off the dinette over the next month or so. I'll be posting updates as we go.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 10-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #858
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Hey Jim:

I have been cruising your thread. Wow! You have got a bunch completed. Everything is looking good. I was checking out the website you posted on where you bought your foam. How do you like the way it feels when you sleep? I am going to be ordering some for our second rig.

Brian
Old 10-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #859
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Without a doubt, Susan and I think it's the best bed we've ever slept on. That grade of foam is very supportive but soft, if that makes any sense. We'll be using the same stuff for the couch.

Can't wait to see your new rig in person. Looks like a real gem.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 10-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #860
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
It is Marine Vinyl we bought at Joann's. I think that is the name of the fabric store. I really like it. I am restoring a 1973 Cub Cadet seat cushion and we are using the Marine Vinyl again. Looks Killer!

Brian