Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #741
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Here's a couple of pic's of how I measured the axle mounting bracket (mentioned back in post 734). The axle has been removed from the trailer and placed upside-down to get a good measurement. If anybody has any further questions, let me know.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket 1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	88209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	88210  

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #742
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Here's the next major job to complete. There's a new Iota 45 converter on it's way from Randy at BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics. Great guy to deal with.

It's a mess in there isn't it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Univolt before.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	88212  

Air No. 6427
Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #743
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A 59 Airstream was equipped with a straight type axle and leaf springs.

You can, if you wish update the trailer by adding torsion axles, of your choice.

If you chose to upgrade you can weld the axle in place, or add a "axle mounting plate."

Upgrading would require a weight rating appropriate for the weight of your Airstream, including a reasonable payload.

Under rated will soon fail, over rated will lead to a harsch ride for the trailer.

Andy
I forgot how painful swapping out the axles was on my '64. My back hurt for a week! On my '54, though I've thought about upgrading the axles from the dual leaf springs. I guess the ride would be smoother, but I'm a little concerned about how adding duratorques will affect the frame, since the leafs distribute the load a lot further, and the old 29 footers do tend to sag a bit.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread, Jim! New axles (either way) are a must!

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #744
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Where to buy Eastwood silver paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Next on the agenda is to get that stupid belly pan back on. I really expected to be way past this point by now and working on the interior.

The picture is of the pan that the black water tank sits in. I put a coat of Eastwood’s silver encapsulater on it (POR-15 like paint, it’s what I had left over from the tongue redo). The old one was very badly rusted and had to be replaced. Once this is in, then move forward the water tank (a whole ‘nuther story). A few outriggers need some work. Then button it all up.
Jim & Susan,

Where did you buy the Eastwood silver paint? I checked their website and I can't seem to find it. Did you prepare the tongue in any special way? Or use any other prep product before the Eastwood paint? We need to re-paint our tongue too.

Thanks, Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:01 AM   #745
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Quote:
The product we used is a one part epoxy paint made by Homax and is called “Tough as Tile” ($29.95 at Lowes). Many thanks to Brian and Adrianne (Lothlorian) for pointing me to it. It comes in a kit with most of the things you need to get everything done. The process is something like this:

Mix up a cleaner from the kit called “TSP substitute” and wash the items three times with the cleaner and 000 steel wool. Rinse and let dry. All of the items, paint, tub, brushes, etc, need to be at 72 degrees or above before and for three days after the paint is applied.

The pictures shown so far make things look pretty good, but a few close-ups tell a little different story. There are several areas that the paint wouldn’t adhere to for some reason. I suspect that the reason is that a PO had siliconed the crap out of some areas trying to stop leaks. I scraped and cleaned and was able to remove all of the silicone I could see. My guess is that there was some residue left over that really wasn’t removed even with all of the cleaning and “sanding” with the steel wool.

What I’m going to have to do at this point is to wait until the weather warms back up and try sanding these areas, then try to clean with acetone or some other solvent. The good news is that I can move on with bathroom redo. Many of the blemished spots are in areas that are hidden, so I won’t need to deal with then. I can simply focus on the more visible areas.

How is the tough as tile holding up?

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 10-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #746
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post
Jim & Susan,

Where did you buy the Eastwood silver paint? I checked their website and I can't seem to find it. Did you prepare the tongue in any special way? Or use any other prep product before the Eastwood paint? We need to re-paint our tongue too.

Thanks, Mary
Mary, I bought the Eastwood silver from the company website. If you can't find it, call them and they can help you. They may have stopped making it for all I know. But....

I was not impressed with the Eastwood products. Within a couple of months of applying it, I had rust coming back thru. The POR company now sells a silver colored coating. I had very good results with the POR-15 product on the frame. At some point, I'm going to redo the tongue and tail with the POR silver.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 10-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #747
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post
How is the tough as tile holding up?

Mary
It's holding up well in my camper, but it hasn't had much use, really. Brian and Adrian have had theirs on there for about a year and a half now and can probably give you better information. You might try PM'ing them for more info.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 10-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #748
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post
I forgot how painful swapping out the axles was on my '64. My back hurt for a week! On my '54, though I've thought about upgrading the axles from the dual leaf springs. I guess the ride would be smoother, but I'm a little concerned about how adding duratorques will affect the frame, since the leafs distribute the load a lot further, and the old 29 footers do tend to sag a bit.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread, Jim! New axles (either way) are a must!

JP
A week? I thought I was the old fart around here? Mine only lasted for a couple of days.

Hijack away, my friend. I've encouraged it here it this thread. We all learn something new from the ideas of others!

See you in a couple of weeks.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 10-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #749
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Quote:
Mary, I bought the Eastwood silver from the company website. If you can't find it, call them and they can help you. They may have stopped making it for all I know. But....

I was not impressed with the Eastwood products. Within a couple of months of applying it, I had rust coming back thru. The POR company now sells a silver colored coating. I had very good results with the POR-15 product on the frame. At some point, I'm going to redo the tongue and tail with the POR silver.

Jim

Thanks, that s good to know. We'll probably go with the POR-15 then.

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #750
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
This one's for all the guys reading along. Now if I can just find a place to put that magazine rack....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Terlet.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	89115  

Air No. 6427
Old 10-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #751
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
This is the Dometic Sealand Traveler Light 210 from Vintage Trailer Supply. Steve gave me a great deal on it because the box was open (20% off). What a great bunch they are to deal with. Fits perfectly with no modifications. When was the last time that happened?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 10-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #752
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
The new foam for the beds came in. Now, if Susan will just make the covers for them...(don't dare tell her I said that). Of course, I had to try them out with a long afternoon nap, so I broke out the kids' old Harry Potter sheets from the back of the linen closet and commenced to a good snooze.

Got those at FoamDistributing.com. Many thanks, Mary for that tip. Total cost to the front door was $156. Great deal and a very comfortable. And that's saying a lot considering the disaster I've made of back over the years.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bed Foam.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	89116  

Air No. 6427
Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #753
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Jim, looks good, we had done ours through knox foam at the recommendation of forums folks but they've since closed down. What model and thickness of foam did you go with?
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #754
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
The pictures for the next part are little strange because the camera started acting weird, but here goes. Finally got the old Univolt out of there and new battery installed. The rectifier (that's really the proper name, even tho the RV industry calls it a "converter") is an Iota 45 amp DLS 45 with IQ4. It's a 3 stage charger with that desulfinater gizmo. Supposed to better/easier on the battery. I bought this from Randy at Bestconverter.com. Randy is a great guy to deal with. I bought this one on his recommendation because of all the brands he sells, he's never had one of these returned due to failure (after several hundred sales). Randy also has the advantage, in my book, of being a 30 plus year US Army Warrant Officer, prior to selling RV stuff. Since I'm also one of those, it seemed a natural fit.

Pics to follow.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 10-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #755
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
One of the things that I wanted to do from the outset was to get some of the weight off the tail of the camper. One way to do this was to move the battery and converter off the tail and under the bed. I lost storage under the bed, but it's probably worth it in the long run. The converter is mounted under the bed toward the back. No problem there because it only weighs about 3 pounds. Also, to get it off the floor, it was mounted vertically along the bed frame. Notice that I used a surge protector there because I couldn't afford a "whole house" surge protector for the camper. This also gives the advantage of being able to shut down the power to the thing when needed without "surging" the converter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rectifier 1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	89118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rectifier 2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	89119  

Air No. 6427
Old 10-16-2009, 08:08 PM   #756
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Here's where the pictures start getting stoooopid. I also bought the 9 postion fuse panel from Randy to feed the various 12v lines throughout the camper. It was $35 and may be the best money I've spent so far. Everything is laid out in that panel just as you need it with no guesswork, really straight forward. If anybody needs a blow-by-blow account of the fuse panel wiring, I'll gladly provide. But first I gotta work on the camera.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fuse Panel.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	89120  

Air No. 6427
Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #757
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
To get the weight of the batteries off the tail, I moved them forward of the tail (and rectifier) under the bed over the axles. It's an Optima (the Yellow topped one) and for the life of me can't recall the specs on it. It may be a 28 amp hour battery, but don't hold me to that. I can look it up if need be. We probably won't do a lot of boom docking for the foreseeable future, so cost was more a factor. I purchased this one at Advance Auto because it had been on the shelf unsold for over a year and they gave me a great deal-- $75, normally retails for about $200 there. I can live with that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Battery.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	89121  

Air No. 6427
Old 10-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #758
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Jim, looks good, we had done ours through knox foam at the recommendation of forums folks but they've since closed down. What model and thickness of foam did you go with?
It's the one called the HD36R Twin, 6". You can find it here:Foam Factory - HD36 Regular Foam

One of the things I liked about these people is that took the time to help me pick foam that would be comfortable for us. Susan and I are a couple of old farts, so comfort is becoming more a necessity these days.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 10-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #759
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Website names

Quote:
The new foam for the beds came in. Now, if Susan will just make the covers for them...(don't dare tell her I said that). Of course, I had to try them out with a long afternoon nap, so I broke out the kids' old Harry Potter sheets from the back of the linen closet and commenced to a good snooze.

Got those at FoamDistributing.com. Many thanks, Mary for that tip. Total cost to the front door was $156. Great deal and a very comfortable. And that's saying a lot considering the disaster I've made of back over the years.

Jim
Glad they worked out so well for you. They actually have several website names. They also go by:

economyfoam.com & foambymail.com It's all the same company.

They also do foam dog beds, sound proofing, crown molding & cornices.

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 10-17-2009, 06:37 AM   #760
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Jim:

I am really impressed with the way things are really shaping up. I used the old univolt fuse panel on mine but someday in the future I might have to put something in like yours. Every so often the lights will kick out somewhere so I have to go back and giggle the fuse and they work again.

Since you moved the battery out of the compartment you have a new place to stash your brewski's.

Brian