Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #661
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
The bath looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Man, I have got to speed this process up somehow. Finally got the plumbing moving along. Had a setback because of leaks. You can read about here, if you're an insomniac: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...ons-51419.html

Pipes are now working properly, tub is set, other things in place. Only have the curb side and back side complete. Still working on the roadside. I'm really happy with the results.

A couple of pics to follow.

Jim
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #662
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
What did you put in place of the palstic trim that goes inside the extrusion?
Quote:
Man, I have got to speed this process up somehow. Finally got the plumbing moving along. Had a setback because of leaks. You can read about here, if you're an insomniac: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...ons-51419.html

Pipes are now working properly, tub is set, other things in place. Only have the curb side and back side complete. Still working on the roadside. I'm really happy with the results.

A couple of pics to follow.

Jim
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #663
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Brian, it's kinda hard to see in that last pic, but half of the chip has just the stain, the other half has a "satin" poly coat on it. I really want something with more gloss to it, so I think I'll try a small area with semi- and another with gloss to see how it looks.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #664
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
'76, I didn't put anything in place of the extrusion. It's an Idea that I kinda stole from Brian, with a few additions and subtractions. What I did was clean the pieces very well, then scuff it up with a coarse Scotch Brite pad. Clean again with lacquer thinner. Next, sprayed on a coat of automotive primer, then followed with two coats of silver automotive spray paint. Literally from a can of spray paint that I bought at Advance Auto parts. I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

Brian did his a little differently than me, maybe he'll tell you what he did (hint, hint).

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 06-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #665
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Question for a '70's Guru

So here's a couple of pics of the toilet area. This is the piece that I'm working on right now. Does anybody know why the top of that "thing" (I don't know what it is properly called) opens up?

There's supposed to be a seat that drops down to cover the toilet, but it is long gone. I get that part of the equation. But why would the top open up? Just to reach the plumbing lines underneath? Also, there are several "snaps" around the back of the toilet area that must have been there for some type of cover or something. Anybody have an idea why those are there?

As always, TIA.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8449.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	82080   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8450.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	82081  

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 06-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #666
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
So here's a couple of pics of the toilet area. This is the piece that I'm working on right now. Does anybody know why the top of that "thing" (I don't know what it is properly called) opens up?

There's supposed to be a seat that drops down to cover the toilet, but it is long gone. I get that part of the equation. But why would the top open up? Just to reach the plumbing lines underneath? Also, there are several "snaps" around the back of the toilet area that must have been there for some type of cover or something. Anybody have an idea why those are there?

As always, TIA.

Jim
Jim.

That "thing" is a hamper for dirt clothes.

If you want a high gloss, use automotive clear.

If it can take rain, snow, dust and the like, it certainly can stand up in the interior.

We used auto clear in the interior of some of the vintage jobs that we did for Tim Burton, the movie director.

Looked great.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #667
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Ahhh, thanks Andy. A clothes hamper makes perfect sense. Guess I have another piece to fabricate.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 06-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #668
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Ahhh, thanks Andy. A clothes hamper makes perfect sense. Guess I have another piece to fabricate.

Jim
Jim.

And the best part of that hamper is that Airstream put in the bathroom, where most people change clothes.

What some engineers can do these days, is amazing.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #669
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Jim:

Adrienne did all the trim in the bathroom. She took spray primer (ACE Hardware) and silver paint (aluminum color) and painted the trim. She did all the decorations and designs. I did the labor taking it apart and putting it back together. What a team we make.

A clothes hamper how funny. I will have to tell Adrienne.

Brian
Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #670
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
a hamper? I had no idea! I am wondering what I put in there now. I don't think anything.

Thank you Andy.

Oh, J&S: IMHO one can never over do birch. It looks fantastic!
Old 06-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #671
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
a hamper? I had no idea! I am wondering what I put in there now. I don't think anything......
I like the hamper idea. Keeps stuff out of site. I'm thinking I can recreate the hamper with one of those "fishnet" bags like we used to take to summer camp as kids to use for dirty clothes. A few snaps around the top of it to match the ones that are already there and ready to go.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 06-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #672
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I use one of those net things now. I think I want to use the hamper now. On principle alone.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #673
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Not disagreeing, just thinkin' out loud. I like the idea of stuff being out of sight....and recreating the original if possible.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 07-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #674
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Tunes, we have TUNES!

So I got tired of working on the bath and wanted to get some stereo goin’ in the ol’ ‘Stream. I had bought a Sony car stereo and some el chepo speakers from Wal-Mart about a year ago and just never got around to installing them (hey, I had to install something from Wal-Mart, they have, after all, helped me put two kids thru college via part time jobs). Total cost was about $200.

Now, we lived in Texas a long time courtesy of the US Army, so I can’t let a good story go untold. A good story is retold many times in Texas and grows with each retelling.

The wood that the radio mount is made from came from my grandparents place near Warm Springs, Ga. This is cedar that was cut from the farm back around World War Two. Granddad had it rough sawn, then planned down and stained, then used it as paneling for the living room, hallway and two of the bedrooms. Granddad and Grandma passed away a few years back and an aunt and uncle inherited the part of the farm that included the old “home place”. The home burned down a couple of years because of a lightening strike (since rebuilt). Dad grabbed several pieces of the old cedar that was still in good shape after the fire and gave me a few pieces of it (after much begging on my part; “hey, it’s going in the Airstream, Dad”). Thanks for the memories, Granddad.

At any rate, I took a piece of it over to my buddy Eric’s wood shop, planned it down to about 3/8” and we tacked it together. The fit is kind of odd because of the way the metal parts of the original shelf fit in there, but I’m pretty happy with it. All I did to was plane it, then three coats of semi-gloss urethane. We made a dock area there for the XM portable radio. We also had the presence of mind when the walls were out to pull the 12v socket over to that area. The black cable plugged into the front of the radio runs back over to the television and is plugged into the output side of the TV. I gotta tell ya folks, it looks very simple, but the sound is fabulous.

Here’s a couple of pics. (More to follow).

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stereo 1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	83311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	83312  

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 07-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #675
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
More bath stuff

Remember that hamper from a few posts back? Somehow it grew left to right about 3/4". Gotta work on that one. Obviously, something didn't get installed correctly. Once the cabinet that fits over the water heater (to the right of the hamper) is rebuilt, then I can figure out where the error was made. Weird.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hamper 1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	83313  

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 07-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #676
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
The wooden stereo shroud looks fantastic. Now I'm brimming with ideas for my front-half renovation. Step 1-- finish the BACK half renovation...

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #677
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Here’s a couple of pics of the new birch with stain and a couple of coats of urethane on it. This is the wall between the bed and bath. The back side (bath side) is simply painted with the same paint as the bath. The front side (bedroom side) is stained. The stain is a little darker that I wanted, but I’ve found some “pecan” stain just a shade lighter for the rest of the room. Note to everyone: If you buy the all-in-one stain (stain and polyurethane in the same can) expect problems. You have to keep a “wet edge” when applying this stuff. I found that nearly impossible to do. Not sure if the problem was too much humidity (or too little), too much heat (air temp). Bottom line is that wouldn’t lay down correctly, so I switched to plain stain followed by a polyurethane overcoat. Once again, Eric and his wood shop was a big help.

Eric has entered the 21st century by adding a website, if anybody is interested. Check out WWW.fromthehartwoodcrafts.com.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bedroom 2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	83314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom 1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	83315  

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 07-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #678
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Jim:

I plan on bringing you the clear tail light lens this weekend. I was just talking to my wife about doing what you did with your stereo. That looks really sharp. Is that an FM transmitter so you do not have to use wires for your TV or is it a CB? I plan on buying an FM Transmitter this weekend. and doing away with my auxiliary wire.

Brian
Old 07-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #679
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Marcus, I FINALLY figured out that if the tunes are there, I spend more time actually inside the Airstream working on stuff.

Brian, the XM radio can actually transmit on an FM frequency or plug into the front of the Sony via the "Aux in" jack. Right now, it's transmitting on an FM freq. The cable you see plugged into that "Aux in" jack actually runs thru the skins back over to the TV and is plugged into the out jack on the TV. I'll show you when you come by if I'm not explaining very well.

By the way, I restored the antenna that came with the Airstream back in 1973. It works VERY well with both digital TV and the FM radio. It is currently lowered and in the stowed position. The FM radio can pick up stations in South Carolina and Tennessee. Try that on your car stereo.

Brian, I'll give you a call in a few.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 07-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #680
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Jim & Susan, The world is always better with tunes. I'll be looking at you thread again as I've finally really started working on the 55 Flying Cloud.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...wax-25692.html
I'd like any input you would feel like making or have the time for. The smell of Valcum, aluminum splinters, sawdust, dirt, does it get any better?
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote