Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #601
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Thumbs up

Thank you for the input and info..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Well, I need an idea. I'm trying to finish up the last bits of painting and the Sherwin-Williams products seem to be doing well. Take a look back at post 581 at the last two pictures. Specifically, the Tambour over the gaucho area. See how yellow it is? I need to paint that with something. I'm afraid that the primers and paints used on the walls won't work very well on the Tambour because it has to stay flexible in order to work properly. Anybody got an idea of what to use? Maybe a can of automotive spray paint for plastics?

Thanks in advance!

Jim
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #602
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Expedition One begins early a.m. tomorrow. I'm tired of looking at this hanger queen in the backyard. Finally to a point that we can actually use the dern thing. We're going to what is believed to be the first State Park in the country. It turns out that park is only about 20 miles from where we live. Perfect distance for a shakedown cruise.

Pictures and boring details of the fishing trip to follow. Full moon, campfires, camp fire FOOD!. Can't wait! We sooooooo need a weekend in the woods.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #603
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Have a great weekend! Can't wait to see the pictures...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Expedition One begins early a.m. tomorrow. I'm tired of looking at this hanger queen in the backyard. Finally to a point that we can actually use the dern thing. We're going to what is believed to be the first State Park in the country. It turns out that park is only about 20 miles from where we live. Perfect distance for a shakedown cruise.

Pictures and boring details of the fishing trip to follow. Full moon, campfires, camp fire FOOD!. Can't wait! We sooooooo need a weekend in the woods.

Jim
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #604
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Trip Report

Well, we did indeed get to go the woods a few weekends back as planned. Sorry itís taken so long to post an update. My buddy Eric, his son and a friend, plus my oldest daughter all went along for the trip. My purpose was to get the dang camper on the road and see how things worked (keeping in mind that interior still isnít back in there yet). Everybody else went along for the fishiní part of the trip.

The day before we left, I wound up purchasing the Maxxis tires talked about so much over in the tire forum. ST225/75 R15 LRDís. Got those mounted with the metal stems. Repacked the bearings.

The trip down was good. Itís only about 30 miles form our house to the campground so there was no high speed travel involved. We only got up to 55mph for a few minutes each direction. Still, it towed pretty well, even though itís still underweight and the speeds were low. Remember, there is nothing in the interior except the aluminum walls and camping gear (cots, cooler, beer, food, camp stove, etc).

For those of you that have been following this thread, I described cleaning the air conditioner coils and drip pan a few months back. Seems I didnít quit get it all out of there. The drip pan developed a blockage of some sort and leaked along the outside of the camper while we were there. Iím betting something shook loose rolling down the road and blocked one side of the drip pan drain. The regular drain pipe worked as well. Lotta humidity that weekend, BTW.

The only real concern I have to date is that the paint I used on the interior vinyl walls remains somewhat sticky. Sticky walls are a problem in the era Airstream for some reason. Some say it is the adhesive the factory used to glue the vinyl to the aluminum. Some say it simply dirty walls. We cleaned everything very well before painting and nothing was sticky after the multiple cleanings. Same after we put the primer down. Once we painted, now we have issues. The only real problem here is that dirty fingerprints show up very easily. It also cleans very easily. All things being equal, I wish the walls werenít doing this.

The stabilizer jacks (aka Baljacks?) work very well to keep the TT from rockiní and rolliní.

All in all, Iím satisfied (fingers firmly crossed) with things, considering nothing actually fell off anywhere!

Iíll throw up a couple of obligatory pics just for grins in a few minutes.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 10-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #605
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
When's the last time you had a "real" baked 'tater?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baked Taters.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	69092  

Air No. 6427
Old 10-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #606
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Or watched the sunset thru the Georgia Pines....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pines.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	69093  

Air No. 6427
Old 10-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #607
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
The ranger said the trail to that beach was around here somewhere....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailhead.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	69094  

Air No. 6427
Old 10-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #608
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Just to prove that we really were in a campground and not the backyard.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	First trip.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	69097  

Air No. 6427
Old 10-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #609
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
I hope to have the 12v interior lights finished this weekend. I bought some Zenon's that are going to work well (I hope). I'll post a little more info when they are fully functional.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #610
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am glad to see you got her out for a trip. I know you have worked very hard to get it back to a new condition. I hope to have the opportunity to see you guys camping sometime. Hard Labor (Rutledge Ga) is where we go. I am trying to save my money for new axels so I won't pull it to far. It has been pulling great but I don't have much trust in 1973 axels.

Your trailer looks great!!!

Brian
Old 10-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #611
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Thanks Brian. We're going to make every effort to use it at least once a month from here on out (even if I have to go by myself!). Thinking about High Falls State Park this month, just south of Indian Springs. We'll make up to hard Labor Creek one of these days. Part of this process is for me to learn how to handle the rig on the road. Basics, in other words.

Jim

On edit: I meant to add that my axles did fine, even tho I'm sure they are shot. Nothing inside the Airstream moved around too much during the trip. But, we only went 30 miles down and 30 miles back.

It's going to be a next spring project for me.

Air No. 6427
Old 10-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #612
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Thumbs up Looks like success!

Congrats on your first expedition out! I know this was a long time in coming and I'm sure it feels great. What park was that, BTW? Vogel or Indian Springs maybe . . . ?

Looking forward to seeing you at the Falluminum.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #613
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Indian Springs State Park just south of Jackson, Ga. It's the first state park in America. I thought it would be kinda cool to go to the first state park the first trip out.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 10-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #614
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Look Mom, No Clecos! Well, Almost

We finally got the ceiling center piece in and the 12v lighting finished. I put three of the Xenonís you see in the pic in the galley and two in the bedroom area. The lights are from Lowes and are 10 watt Xenon, G4 base, surface mounts. Plenty bright for general lighting as you can probably tell. Somebody on the forums posted that the light bulbs could be used with either AC or DC power. These came with a 110v ac transformer that stepped the power down to 12v AC. HumÖ. I clipped one of them to the 12v DC from the Univolt and bingo, we have light! The best part? Total cost for lights, screws, switches and connectors was about $45. The lights come in sets of 5 for $35. Iíve seen individual Xenon lights on the Ďnet for $35 each. Weíll have to see how these hold up under regular use.

Still havenít decided what to do with that air conditioner cover. Iíll paint it at some point.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Xenons.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	69185  

Air No. 6427
Old 10-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #615
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Jim:

Are you staying with the orginal vents? I replaced all mine with new vents. One is a fantastic fan and two with lights. You trailer looks really nice inside. Are you going to put all the interior walls and cabinets back in?

Brian
Old 10-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #616
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Next, we got the Gaucho lights back up and in position. Somehow, I donít think these were installed at the factory. None of these appear in the shop manual and the way they are wired doesnít look like a factory job. The Thin Light brand Neonís are very bright and only needed some minor rewiring to make them work (and a couple of new bulbs). Two of those are above the gaucho area. Outside of them are the smaller incandescent reading lights. The bulbs for these are still available, but are very expensive (about $4.00 each), at your friendly neighborhood RV shop.

Thatís all for today. Tomorrow, we start on the bath.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gaucho lights.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	69186  

Air No. 6427
Old 10-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #617
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Jim:

Are you staying with the orginal vents? I replaced all mine with new vents. One is a fantastic fan and two with lights. You trailer looks really nice inside. Are you going to put all the interior walls and cabinets back in?

Brian
I'm keeping the original vents and fan. The front vent had a fan on it from the factory. It still works fine. I'll repaint it and replace those plastic insert what-cha-ma-call-its in the top of the vents with some nice exotic wood of some kind. Which leads me to....

The interior, with the exception of much of the bath area, will all be new stuff. I'll have to re-use much of the plastic in the bath because it's simply too difficult to try and fabricate something to replace it (at least it would be for me).

My buddy Eric, that has helped me out on this thing enormously, has a wood shop. He's chomping at the bit to start making cabinets and beds, etc. It will be laid out pretty much as factory original, but made as much as possible from real wood. Keeping in mind weight, strength and, of course, cost. I can't wait to get started on this part of the project. Seems it's been "just around the corner" for about two years now.

Next weekend, I'm taking it over to the local recycle center to have it weighed (they have a truck sized scale there). The idea being that I want to get some kind of empty "base-line" weight before we start adding all that woodwork. We're shooting for 4500 lbs dry weight, about what it weighed coming out the assembly line door 35 years ago.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 10-12-2008, 06:11 AM   #618
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Jim:

did you get rid of all your interior stuff? I might be able to trade you some stuff. I have all my old vents and fans stuffed in the garden shed, and I am looking for some little plastic parts and bits. What is the condition of your old refridgerator? Are you keeping it?

Brian
Old 10-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #619
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
I still have all of the interior parts except the Gaucho and the heater. I'm going to keep all of it for the time being to use as patterns for the new stuff. The fridge has a leak in the coils and a bad heating element, leaking gasket and "looks" pretty rough. I thought about restoring it as well, but I'm a sure that would cost more than buying new. If you want it, you can come'n get it. There are parts on it that I'm sure can be used by somebody. I tried to unload it on the classifieds here and didn't even get a bite. If you still have my number, give me a call and we can talk.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 11-09-2008, 07:20 AM   #620
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Weights & Measures & Other Stuff

I finally got to take the Airstream over to some scales yesterday and get an idea of the weights and so forth. Here’s the numbers:

Weight of F150: 4850 Lbs (1/4 tank of gas and fiberglass shell over bed of truck)
Weight of Airstream: 3440 Lbs (with virtually nothing on the inside of the trailer and no liquids or LP tanks)
Weight of F150 with trailer on hitch: 5220 Lbs

Would it be safe to assume that the hitch weight would be 5220-4850? That would make it about 370 Lbs.

These numbers give me about 1000 lbs for the interior parts and pieces as we rebuild things. The original “dry” weight was around 4500 Lbs.

I also took a ride inside the trailer. Interesting experience. You can read more about it here if you’re interested.

Jim

Air No. 6427