Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #421
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
The Vista Views in my camper weren't leaking, but there is a layer of something like glaziers putty about 1/8" thick between the glass and the plastic. This putty has a tendency to loosen because of heat over the years and begin to slide out of place. It looks like H.E. double hockey sticks. So I took it all apart, cleaned it up and started to reinstall it. You can see the residue in the pic above and around my thumb in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vista View 3.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	42001  

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #422
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
A couple of tips about how to reinstall these things.

I've read in several threads that when you put the glass back in, vulkem the glass and "shim" it back in and let the shims sit a week or so. Well, that would have worked, except that when I cut the shims, they were either too big or too small. Dang. I was standing there holding the glass in place while Susan attempted to force the shims in. That one's too big, this one's too small. Dang. I was terrified that if we forced anything, we would break that expensive piece of glass. Did I mention that this glass is expensive and hard to find?

The end result is that we wound up more or less putting the whole contraption back together without first cleaning the inner pane (remember, at this point I'm standing there holding up this piece of glass over my head for the last 15 minutes while Susan tries to shoehorn my poorly made shims in place). So now I'm faced with waiting a couple of more days for the Vulkem to get a good cure, pull the inner pane back out, clean well, and finish the install.

Air No. 6427
Old 07-26-2007, 07:07 PM   #423
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
A couple more things.

The material under my thumb in the first pic is some type of putty that the factory originally installed. The glass sits against this, which in turn all sits against the outer shell. This putty was in good shape, so I cleaned it and basically left it alone. On top of this I put a bead of Vulkem, then pressed the glass in place. The Vulkem, by itself, makes a dang good seal. Holds the glass in place pretty well (BUT, I'm sure that wouldn't last long UNTIL the Vulkem cures).

Once in place, I looked outside and found a "trough" of space around the outside of the glass that neede to filled with something. I simply ran a bead of Vulkem there and tooled it into place. The "uglyness" can be cleaned up later.

Finally, a pic of the "contraption" all in place. Looks like crap, doesnt it? It'll be alright once all the clean up is done.

When I do the other one, by the door, I'll know how to do it right and post a better description.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vista View 4.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	42004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vista View 5.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	42005  

Name:	Vista View 6.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	42006  

Air No. 6427
Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #424
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
I think I may have located the leak around the water inlet. See that tiny opening that the tie-wrap is stuck into? It leaks. So, this weekend, it gets a bead of Vulkem.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Geen Goo 1.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	42333  

Air No. 6427
Old 08-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #425
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
This is the stuff that used to go between the glass and the inner plastic pane in the Vista Views. Meant to post this pic before. I think I said it soemwhere here before, but I found it in the oldest window and glass shop in the county. I went to the place, found the oldest guy in the place, explained what I needed. He searched the backroom for a while and emerged with this old roll. It's been laying in the camper for several months over on it's side and has yet to "run" in all of the summer heat. It went back in with a lot of work, it's nearly impossible to get a straight line, but it looks pretty good, all things considered.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vista View 9.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	42340  

Air No. 6427
Old 08-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #426
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Got the antenna almost done. These old antennas pick up HDTV beautifully. There's a better description here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ams-34784.html

A couple of Pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ant Done1.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	42341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ant Done 4.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	42342  

Air No. 6427
Old 08-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #427
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Green Goo and Windows Too

Still can’t decide what to do about this. The roadside window is the worst of the two. Some folks have drilled a small weep hole at the base of the window frame to allow moisture to drain out. I’m not sure at this point if that is the best idea. Only the roadside window has this weep hole, and it is a mess! The curbside window has no weep hole, and it doesn’t look too bad (comparatively speaking, of course).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Green goo 5.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	42347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Goo 3.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	42348  

Air No. 6427
Old 08-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #428
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
At least part of the problem seems to be that the seals around the glass and the outer part of the frame are probably leaking. The plan is to reseal all of that stuff with some Vulkem. Also do the same on the inside of the frame. The service manual seems to show that the wing windows can be removed as a single unit, but I’ve removed a lot of the old Vulkem in there and the entire front window assembly seems to one piece on the inside, with the wing windows set in from the outside. Removing those guys is going to be a huge undertaking. Lots of bucked rivets to drill out and replace. With my luck, I’ll break the dang glass bucking in the new rivets.

Has anybody tried drilling a small hole in the glass at the top of the window and forcing some type of cleaning fluid in there? Probably never work. Of course, I’d have to put a few more weep holes in the bottom of the window frame.

Air No. 6427
Old 08-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #429
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
One more area that leaks

The dang keepers that hold the bottom of the window rock guard down leaks. They attached these things with long steel (not stainless) sheet metal screws. I understand what they were trying to do. Put the screw thru the outer shell into a wall frame member inside the wall for extra strength. Makes sense. But they managed to get the screw in there wrong and it actually created a leak that looks to have been there since day one.

You can see the point of the screw in the pic taken inside the camper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Green Goo 6.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	42351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Goo 7.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	42352  

Air No. 6427
Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #430
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
So, I’m desparetly trying to finish up sealing the leaks so I can move on to the insulation. Then the inner skins, then the axles. Then we can actually go camping in our big silver tent. OK, so back to Earth.

The first pic is of the backside of the AIRSTREAM banner on the front of the camper. Each letter on this era camper is held on by a couple of pegs that are attached to the back of each letter. The pegs have a tendency to snap off with age (or if you attempt to remove the Vulkem around them in order to reseal them). So, I stopped removing the Vulkem and just added a bit here and there to reseal things.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Namesake 4.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	42893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Namesake 5.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	42894  

Air No. 6427
Old 08-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #431
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Anyway, I managed to break a couple of the pegs off, so I reattached the letters with a 3/16th rivet. This size rivet fills the hole in the skin of the camper, but puts too much stress on the letter. The “T” in Airstream actually broke in half, so I used a bit of JB Weld that was laying around in the garage and it actually seems to be holding. I’m going to give it a couple more days to cure before putting back on the camper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T1.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	42895   Click image for larger version

Name:	T2.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	42896  

Name:	T3.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	42897  

Air No. 6427
Old 08-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #432
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
looking good, man! I'm hoping to get a full weekend on mine... we'll see!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #433
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Well, despite the relentless heat over the past few days, I managed to get quite a few things done. I’ve started working from front to back finishing up all the little things that have to get done before the insulation goes back in. And then I noticed something about the way those leaky, green wing windows are put together.

As I was applying the painters tape to seal around those windows, I noticed an “open” seam on the outer most aluminum extrusion that covers the actual glass. If I had ever noticed this before, I surely don’t remember it. So back to the service manual to have a look-see. Bigger than Dallas, there were the instructions on removing the outer glass (don’t remember reading that before, either).

SO, here goes the explanation. Keep in mind I haven’t actually done this yet, I’m just relating what things look like and what the manual actually says. And trying to work up the courage to go after an expensive piece of glass with a screw driver and rubber mallet.

First, look back at post No. 427, the picture on the right. See that piece of aluminum that the arm for rock guard is riveted into? Supposedly, you take a rubber mallet and tap down from the top on that thing and it slips out of the track. It looks like that will actually work.

Next, you go inside the camper and remove the sheet metal screws from the inner frame. More in a minute….
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wing Window 5-1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	43160  

Air No. 6427
Old 08-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #434
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Next, you take a flat blade screw driver and pry off the outer part of the frame. The first couple of pics show the outside of the curbside window, this is the opening that I guess I never saw before. The last pic shows more or less where you should start prying that frame off. The book says to “pry only along vertical extrusion between wing window and center window”.

I’ve already resealed a bunch of this stuff as you can tell from the pics. Looks like about half of that will have to come back off.

That grey stuff between the 2 panes of glass around the edge is called “butyrate tape.” I’m sure glad to finally found the correct name for that stuff. Anybody know what the modern version would be called?

As soon as can find a suitable replacement for that tape, I’m gonna try this (I think). Wish me luck, I hope I don’t make a $300 (or more) mistake.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sealing Wind 3.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	43169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sealing Wind 4.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	43170  

Name:	Wing Window 14.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	43171  

Air No. 6427
Old 08-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #435
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Keep up the good work! I'm relying on your info and experience.

In one of your posts you spoke of rebuilding the gears it the antenna, and parts still available. Where did you find them?

Thanks, T
tamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #436
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
I jokingly posted this somewhere in another thread someplace, but I swear this is the truth. I went to an RV dealership (not Airstream) near to where I work that has been in business for years and has a large parts operation. I was poking around in the antenna/TV/radio section and the oldest parts guy in the business walked up and asked if he could help. I just explained what I needed, without having model numbers, etc. He reached up in the shelf and said "this is the one". First try, works like a charm.

I found a link in the Audio subforum (I think) to an online supplier. I'll see if can locate it again.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 08-14-2007, 06:01 AM   #437
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks Jim....

I have yet to actually climb up there and figure out what it needs. I was contemplating getting a new one, but like you, I like the look of the old.

T
tamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #438
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
T, I looked in the audio subforum and couldn't find the link to the on line source for the parts. It's there someplace. Keep searching around over there and you'll run into it.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 08-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #439
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Remember a few posts back when I said "remove the inner sheet metal screws"? I'm stuck on that part. Why did Airsteam use steel (not STAINLESS steel screws). Arggg!

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 08-25-2007, 05:31 PM   #440
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Weekend Update

OK, so the shop manual method of removing the Wing Windows described back in posts 433 & 434 is doable. But it ain’t simple.

First thing to do is to remove that piece of aluminum trim between the wing window and the center window. This is actually fairly easy. Just take a block of wood and a rubber mallet tap it down from the top. It’s a very tight fit, but it will come out.

The trim is actually beveled on the inside to match the edge of the two windows. There’s a term for this type of joint, but I don’t know what it is.

The first two pictures are of the trim piece coming out. The last is of the trim piece held next to the “ridge” that it was just removed from.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WW remov 1.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	43839   Click image for larger version

Name:	WW remov 2.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	43840