Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #141
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
The Devil Made Me Do It

Sorry, I am getting tired of trying to come up with catchy titles.

I worked my arse off all weekend, yet I don’t have much to show for it. As it turns out, the devil really is in the details. The plan is to push this thing back from the dock Thursday night for its maiden voyage. So we planned to have an Open Airstream yesterday for friends, family, and all of our annoyed neighbors so everyone can see if you really can polish a turd. So I spent the better part of day just cleaning the thing out. I think every single tool I own was in there. I mean, why do you need a roto-tiller in an Airstream restoration?

The Open never happened, as the wife’s slacker relative still hasn’t finished with the cushions. I fear the wife and I will be sleeping on backpacking mattresses this weekend. Or maybe we should put the kids on those, and take their bunks.

I did manage to get the belly pan back on. I still need to have a pan made for the grey tank, however. I also managed to put most of the finishing touches on the bathroom. I still have lots of old, stained silicone to remove, but the shower is pretty much ready to go:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5326.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	104321

Pay no attention to the unpainted medicine cabinet behind the curtain. <Psst. I ran out of paint>

I also got the new shower faucet installed. This, of course, required removing the sink/counter top again. F-ing rivets.

Name:	IMG_5325.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	104322

And Fedex made quick with the new throne. Plumbing and setting this only took twice as long as planned, which is a new record, right behind plugging in the drill, which took 3 times as long as I planned.

Name:	IMG_5323.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	104323

I have a pretty short ‘must do’ list before Thursday night. I have to replace the safety chains, plumb the bathroom sink drain, set up the Equal-i-zer, and look into a now, non-functioning tongue jack. @#$%$#@&^. It sounds like a stripped gear, but other threads have given me hope that it might be out of sync. Gee, which do you think it is? The one that is a little bit of work and free, or the one that is even more work and really expensive?

Laters,

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:07 AM   #142
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Why Don't You Stop By the Yacht Club Later. Hmm?

“It’s easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you’ve got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat.”

-Judge Smails, Bushwood Country Club

Dumpster’s maiden voyage is this afternoon. And although I would love to give her a proper christening, I don’t have time to sweep up glass and hose cheap champagne off the driveway. Ole Dump is miles from being done, but she is ready to provide us with the basic necessities. I just need to whip up a quick set of curtains to keep Mr. Sunshine from interrupting my slumber too early. I think the front end turned out pretty good. The DW deserves all of the credit for interior design as I am: Male, color blind, male, have bad taste, male. Did I mention I am a guy?

Name:	IMG_5342.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	105117

So hopefully this short trip will iron out the bugs, as we have a 7-10 dayer to Jellystone/Teton coming up shortly.

Keep it shiny out there!

Old 06-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #143
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
the dinette is gorgeous!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Nice! Post more pics when you get back!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #145
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Congratulations. I know its been a lot of work and a long time to reach this auspicious day.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #146
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
I Have No Comment...............

Name:	IMG_5345.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	105253

.........Other than - Thank God no one was hurt.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I'm glad no was hurt too...

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, What happend?

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Uhh... "I like T-bones to eat, not on my trailer?"

Count to ten... ugh, that's ugly... what happened?

I suspect a new skin, outriggers, and floor repair are in order... how's the doorframe?
Marc
Old 06-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #149
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
I am so upset for you I could just cry. Just heartsick.

Hang in there. This is all fixable.

Thinking of you at this tough time.

David
ScoobyShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #150
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
What a heartbreaker. Its repairable. Tough way to add more character though. Glad no one was hurt.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:19 AM   #151
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Hang in there... Things happen and like has been said, no one was hurt. You CAN fix this and it wont take you that long... I wish I were closer to lend a hand if you needed... let me know if I can do anything...

MJM
Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #152
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #153
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Shh...it happens -

But on the maiden voyage????

Hey, it's fixable - it's not a deal breaker - and you can still use it this year...

You shall overcome!!!!

Electronic Beer to ya'.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #154
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
The Rest of The Story

Late Friday afternoon, the family embarked on Dumpster’s maiden voyage up into the Beartooth Mountains. About 65 miles into the trip, on an S-curve, traveling at about 60 MPH, it happened….. All it felt like was we drove over something fairly large; my first thought being a deer carcass. I maintained control and looked in the passenger rear view mirror, only to see one of my wheels running off the road. “Get this thing pulled over”, was all I could think. But we had 10-15 foot deep ditches and no shoulders on either side of the road. Then I looked in the driver’s side mirror. All I could see was the rub-rail sticking out, but I knew, because I have read of it. “Dumpster is trashed”. It felt like an eternity before I found a safe place to pull off the road.

The rest is history. I didn’t swear, yell, or even raise my voice. But I can assure you, I felt like dying inside. I calmly pulled out the lug wrench and checked the other 3 wheels; all 18 other lugs were snug as a bug. Then I looked at the hub, while my family stood silent (waiting for the inevitable eruption). I can’t remember now, but I think 3 of the 6 studs were completely sheared off.

Being that far from nowhere, the choice was to just head to the campground. So we towed on 3 wheels for about 15 miles at a reasonable speed with no problems.

It obviously ruined my weekend, but the rest of the family had a great time. The really sad part? Dumpster is an awesome trailer. Everything was fantastic. The kids loved their bunks, the wife loved the dinette and the galley, and the super-spacious bathroom. And we all enjoyed converting the dinette into jumbo-bed where were all able crash and watch a little TV (on the 7” portable DVD).

So yes, I am very sad. 9 months of hard work, basically down the drain. Ironically, we watched Evan Almighty that night on the DVD. “Spite me, oh mighty spiter!” I can’t think of anything more spiteful than the maiden voyage. But then it makes me think- perhaps it was too important to me. Regardless, Dumpster’s name was getting more and more ironic with every hour I put into her. Now, sadly, it is as fitting as the day I brought her home.

The damage-

She is still up in the mountains as we speak. Plus, we had a massive storm last night, including a tornado (check MSN) that ripped several business to shreds. Hopefully she is no worse than I left her. But 3Ms75Argosy pretty much hit the nail on the head + a couple of things. I count 4 outriggers completely destroyed. The door appears fine, but the water heater appears beyond safe to operate. The really bad part is that one rib is totally mangled, at least 2 feet up from the floor. It is forcing the skin outward, separating it from the floor by about 4 inches. Keeping that water tight for our Yellowstone trip this weekend is my major concern. Well, that and no hot water. I will just have to get it home, hopefully tonight if I can get parts, and get a better assessment. I really tried to enjoy the weekend with the family, and not dwell on it too much.

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts and well-wishes. Frankly, I need it. I made a list of what I need to bring on my recovery mission tonight, and the last 2 things on it are: 2 gallons of gas, and 1 match.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #155
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
At Least It Didn't Get Trashed By s Tornado

Bummer - it can be rebuilt -

At least it survived the tornado.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #156
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
no gas and no matches...please. it will be alright. I know that it can be brought back and inside I think that you know it. the maiden voyage of our trailer is going to scare me to death, but we have to do it or our trailers are just small houses...
Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #157
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Oh man what a story. As everyone else is; I too am happy that all are safe. I am also very happy that the family had a great time anyway.

Wishing you luck on your recovery mission. Hope you don't need the fuel and match.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #158
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
What a nightmare! I'm so sorry. But as mentioned before, no one is hurt - and the damage is repairable. Have you talked to your insurance agent yet? Hopefully they'll come through for you quickly.

I am so glad you were able to enjoy your first trip out with your family, despite the wheel malfunction. After all, the reason you got your trailer was to spend time with your wife & kids - and it sounds like this trip was a resounding success in that area!

Anyway, you have lots of electronic friends here that are rooting for you. Good luck!

Sharon
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
ohh... I AM so sorry... but really, it can be fixed, and better, by you! Talk to the insurance, take the money, and start working some more.

To get home.. visit NAPA and get some new lugbolts.. you need to ask them how to chase out the sheared off ones.. I'm sure there's a trick or two. Then once home...

Ideas... Take out the waterheater to take a good look at it.. it may be ok.

fix the frame / outriggers first, then replace the wood that needs to be replaced. You can make a new rib to splice into the horizontal piece.. or just bend back the one that's sticking out.. it's out because the c-channel got destroyed and the rib came out with the tire as it made it's escape.

You have a nice rubrail above the injury... I'd cut back the dented aluminum, and do a overlay of new aluminum from under or behind the rubrail, back to the seam over the waterheater.. and probably forward to the door to make it really not too noticable, or, to just midline of the fender...

It'll be ok..
Marc
Old 06-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #160
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Update

Dump is home safe, but not very sound. That was 90 of the most paranoid miles of towing in my life.

Best,
Chris