Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #121
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
The Fat Lady Hasn't Sung

I have been on rain delay for a few days. But I couldn't hack it anymore, so last night I braved the weather. I got the black tank dropped [Little aside - this tank was obviously replaced at some point. It still has a shipping label from Inca Plastics taped to the outside, and it was addressed to here in Montucky. It looks really good. I wish I could say the same thing for the tub that it sits in], all of the pesky screws out, and the floor cut.

So if anyone sees the fat lady around, tell her I need her to stand on the bumper so I can slide my rotten floor out the side.

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #122
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
The Fat Lady Sang, But Not Standing on My Bumper

There were several people standing on Dumpster's bumper, but none of them were fat; which is why there were several.

Ok. The old floor is out, all the metal is sanded and treated, and the new floor is in. I have to say that it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. Things went smoothly, yet well benind schedule. What else is new?

I was very fortunate, as all of the steel is in great shape. Surface rust only (which is good, because I don't own a welder). All has been sanded down to bare metal and painted. The wood was far worse than I previously thought......
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5281.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	390.3 KB
ID:	102695

The bulk of the bolts have pulled through, which would explain the 1/2 of rear end sag. Thankfully, that is now 100% gone. I added a bolt in the rear on each side that goes all the way through the frame, just to be safe.

I used standard ACX plywood, as marine-grade would be hard to find. I have read about every wood treatment under the sky: wood hardener, epoxy, paint, sealer, with marine epoxy being the most popular. I like to use what I already have around. So I chose polyester fiberglass resin (remember, I have a glue sniffing problem). I mixed it up hot, which made it runny, so it absorbed into the wood. I did the entire top, the edges, and about 12 inches in on the bottom. I have painted wood with fiberglass before, with excellent results.

Name:	IMG_5282.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	102698

Although it was unfortunate that I had to rip Ole Dumpster apart, having the inside skins off made for access to do several things on my list. I 'rolled' out some serious dents as best as can be. I also did a few other things.

Name:	IMG_5286.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	102699

Everybody needs a Marinco.

Name:	IMG_5277.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	102700

Well, I am almost back to where I was the day I ripped out the bathroom. Being ready for Memorial Day weekend is out of the question, sadly. But this tub is going to be ready to use, soon.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #123
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
that looks amazing my friend... I cant wait to see it in person...
MJMarkhams70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Great educational and VERY entertaining thread. You work fast and are making me feel guilty as I haven't done anything with mine for awhile. Better fix that!
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #125
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Title TBD

Thanks for the encouragement. In some respects, I think I needed it. And the reason I am working so fast, is I bought this trailer to use. The camping season here is very short, and rapidly approaching. Someone’s previous comment about hoping I get to use it before the end of the season rang like a church bell, directly in my ear. I am here to tell you that this bucket of bolts is making many, many trips into the Beartooth’s this summer, with a working bathroom. (But it might still leak, have blue painter’s tape over some of the windows, and lack certain non-essential interior amenities).

Does anyone remember this What's up with my floor?

Despite everyone’s suggestion, and due to my own shear laziness, I never did drop the belly pan last fall to see what was up. Now that I have it out, I was inspecting the future location of my grey tank. What I discovered is likely the cause of what my mom used to refer to as a “Monday-Friday Vehicle”. When I was very young, we replaced the Wagon Queen Family Truckster with a brand new, baby blue Ford Fairmont wagon. It was a total POS. Nothing worked right, and lots of things fell off of it. So my mom explained that our new ride must have been sitting on the assembly line, only partially finished, when everyone went home for the weekend. When they picked things back up on Monday, nobody could remember where they left off the Friday before. [I warned you all long ago about my divergence on this sort of thing].

Well, the welder at AS didn’t quite finish with my trailer some Friday. When the whistle blew at 5:00, he ran off for Miller Time. When he came back Monday morning, groggy from his weekend bender, he forgot that he hadn’t welded the port side of one of Dumpster’s stringers to the frame. Bummer. So long story short- this explains a lot.

So between this and how I have decided to support my grey tank, it looks like I am getting a crash-course in welding this weekend. I found a relative who is willing to trust me with his MIG welder (He don’t know me very well, do he?). So come my Monday morning update, hopefully I am not reporting that Dumpster is now a heap of smoldering ash, or that I have to stop work on Dumpster and channel all excess funds toward the purchase of a replacement MIG welder for one very pissed-off Uncle-in Law.

Some parting, and perhaps infamous last words – “I mean really, how hard could it be?”

Best all,

Old 05-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #126
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Good Luck!! You will be fine. try some welds on some scrap metal first to get the hang of it. Don't worry about how ugly they are as long as they are deep enough you'll be good.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #127
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Is it Grey, or Gray?

Due to rain, well, and my sonís birthday, I am officially well behind schedule again. I guess there is a healthy dose of indecisiveness included in there as well.

I managed to get the bathroom floor Bondoíd, sanded, and the new sheet vinyl put down. I am not super pleased with the pattern/colors (letís just say itís overdone), but I had difficulty finding something I liked locally. I called BS on special ordering yet another interior design type item.

The other thing I managed to do is to get the grey tank mounted. It isnít permanent yet, as I still have plumbing and tank probes to do. Actually deciding how to mount it took several hours longer than the actual process. Previously, I had planned to weld mounts for the angle iron on to the frame. But the more I looked at it, the more I realized that even if I were a competent welder (It has been proven, I am not) it would be way difficult to actually get to the bolts with the tank up there. So I went with plan B.

The Tank-

I am sure I am not the first one to go down the ďWhat should I do for a grey tankĒ path. My two most important criteria were maximum size, and minimal cost. These two typically run contrary to each other. Finding a stock tank to maximize a given cavity proved fruitless, for the most part. Even something that would do broke rule #2. I also thought about making my own like the MJM, but could find nothing for materials locally. Then I came across this thing:

Edit> I took the picture out because I realized it was from the listing, and technically not my property. I will take a picture next time I have it down.

This does a better job at filling the cavity than anything stock I came across. The best part? $50 brand new. It has to have a flaw, right? Right. It is a tapered tank, so although one side fits in between the stringers, the dump side hangs down past them. But it worked out quite well, as the dump side hangs down exactly enough for the valve to come out right below the corner wrap. Either way, it doesnít hang any lower than the axle tubes sit, or the black tank in back, for that matter.

Location-

I didnít wind up putting it where I wanted, as I ran into obstruction like wires, and axles for that matter. So it sits in the cavity just aft of the rear axle. I am not too terribly concerned, as I usually go to painstaking lengths to tow dry anyway. But in a pinch, I can always adjust my load. My last refrigerator had the fresh at the very front, and then grey and black at the very back. I never did have handling issues, but maybe that is more a function of using the best hitch in the world (below $500, anyway).

Mounting-

Plan B entailed using pressure treated lumber on top of the angle iron. It is hard to see in the picture, but the tank it shaped like a ďTĒ at the top. I assume that it is intended to be supported by this ledge. The angle iron bolts up to the frame on either side (I did manage to successfully weld those in). The pressure treated wood sits between the angle iron and the ledge of the tank. Anyway, it seems to work for me.

Name:	IMG_5290.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	103179

Name:	IMG_5289.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	103180

I guess I will hit up my sheet metal buddy to make me a pan to cover the whole thing.

Sorry this is so long winded. I usually let the pictures do the talking. But I didnít think of taking them until I was finally all cleaned up last night, and I wasnít crawling back into that swamp to get a good picture for you chumps.

Now for the hard part: DWV

Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 AM   #128
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Thick Belly

Not my stomach. Has anyone ever worked with .032 for belly pan material? I realize it is way-overkill, but that is all I can find locally. Shipping in .025 or .02 will almost double the cost. I will only be replacing a few sections, and making a pan for the grey tank out of it.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used that thickness.

Best,
Dumpster

Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #129
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
Not my stomach. Has anyone ever worked with .032 for belly pan material? I realize it is way-overkill, but that is all I can find locally. Shipping in .025 or .02 will almost double the cost. I will only be replacing a few sections, and making a pan for the grey tank out of it.

Best,
Dumpster
Hi Dumpster, Over kill you say...Take a look here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f145...tml#post158849.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #130
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Everything is Relative

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Hi Dumpster, Over kill you say...Take a look here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f145...tml#post158849.

Thanks, Lee. Sometimes, I think I just need to put things in the proper perspective. And judging by the overall shabby shape of the old material, perhaps using something slightly thicker than a pop can would be prudent. I found some stats online about the weight per linear foot, and the weight difference is very modest. .032 it is!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:

Best,
Dumpster
I used .040 because I got a screaming good deal on it. No regrets
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #132
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
My Crack: at Plumbing, That is

First off, the black tank picture:

Name:	IMG_5297.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	103505

Since I mounted that last weekend, getting all of the DVW done was the next order of business. I wasn't really looking forward to it,as I pretty much had to redo everything but the pooper. I obviously had to reverse the direction of the tub and sink drain for the bathroom. Fortunately, the galley sink drain happened to be passing by a convenient location. But I got it all done in one session, with only 1 extra trip to Lowe's. Based on my record, that is pretty good. I actually employed a rarely used technique: planning. So I had all of the fittings I needed but one. I was also smart enough to hang a plumb from the ceiling to mark exactly where the old bathtub drain was, which proved invaluable, because I wound up cutting out everything.

<Rant coming> I really love the code enforcement department in Montucky. You see, they are smarter than all of the other states in the union. Despite it being lighter, quieter, and in my opinion, easier to work with, ABS pipe does not meet building code. So much like Cuban cigars, we can't get it without a big hassle. So sadly, I had to mix PVC in with the old stuff. At least it matches the vinyl floor in the bathroom, which I don't like either. I assume that my inability to get the pipe I really want has more to do with the some Ex Govenor's wife's, brother's, Son-in-Law's, great uncle owning a PVC plant. But really, it is because PVC is better. <Rant over>

So everthing is tested, and it appears to drain properly, with no leaks. I wish I could say the same for the shell on my camper, but that is a story for another day. All that is left before I start reassembling the bathroom is a few feet of PEX to the toilet, which is what started this whole diversion in the first place.

Name:	IMG_5302.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	103506 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5301.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	103507

Old 05-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #133
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Just one extra trip back to the hardware store has to be a worlds record. Congratulations, and great job visualizing the routing of the lines. My brainpan overheats when I have to figure out all the fittings to deal with this kind of project.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #134
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
I Hate Mondays! Or is it Tuesday's I Hate?

I put the 3-day weekend to good use and didnít do anything all that memorable. I did crack the whip and make some strides toward having a useable camper. Here is a list that I am sure is not all-inclusive:

-Finished all fresh water plumbing, including insulating pipe.
-Reinstalled the water heater.
-Pressure tested and sterilized water system.
-Re-insulated black tank, made new brackets (and again proved I canít weld worth a hooey), and permanently reinstalled.
-Treated frame around grey tank, replaced all insulation, permanently installed.
-Spent hours and hours with fiberglass, Bondo, and many square miles of sandpaper getting all bathroom pieces prepped for painting.
-Coated all bathroom pieces with 3 coats of paint.
-Stripped old, smelly wallpaper out of bathroom.
-Used sheet aluminum intended for belly pan for back shower wall.
-Re-installed all bathroom pieces, with the exception of a few trim pieces (ran out of rivets and f@#$%$ing patience).
-Made a second, smaller table for the dinette.
-I also completed half a dozen smaller unfinished projects in regards to storage so the wife could start packing her up.

I know there is more, but I can think of it right now.

I thought I would include a pic of the grey tank in its new home. When I think about it, I can't believe how fortuitous finding this tank was. It is almost a perfect fit side-to-side and length-wise. But what really blows me away is how the dump side hangs down exactly enough for the valve.

Name:	grey dump.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	103730

I am pretty pleased. I may not be when a get around to having a pan made for it.

And here is the bathroom in its current state. Sorry, I had to set my beer down to take the picture. Keep in mind that aluminum was not in the plans for the sink and bathtub skirts. The PO had carpeted right up on these two pieces. I couldn't find anything that would touch the carpet glue, so I reached for the aggressive paint stripper. 15 minutes later, off comes the glue, and the vinyl right along with it. So in lieu of getting out the paint sprayer, I grabbed the polisher. I did clear them as well.

Name:	IMG_5319.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	103731

I guess I am not doing such a hot job of documenting what I have completed this weekend; which really is the purpose of this thread. I just hope I can find some detailed pictures of how the bathroom looked before the renovation. It was so disgusting, and flat out abused. The before and after should be rather remarkable. What is there now isn't permanent, but I want it to look nice until I come up with some better idea of how to make the bathroom mine. All I know is that the only thing that will remain will be the tub and the new toilet I buy.

Dump

Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #135
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
After, And Then Before

Yuck!

Name:	IMG_4434.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	103734

Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #136
Rivet Master

Dumpster, that's looking great! Keep it up. I'm becoming inspired once again. Beautiful bathroom!

Rich the Viking

Quote:
I put the 3-day weekend to good use and didnít do anything all that memorable. I did crack the whip and make some strides toward having a useable camper. Here is a list that I am sure is not all-inclusive:

-Finished all fresh water plumbing, including insulating pipe.
-Reinstalled the water heater.
-Pressure tested and sterilized water system.
-Re-insulated black tank, made new brackets (and again proved I canít weld worth a hooey), and permanently reinstalled.
-Treated frame around grey tank, replaced all insulation, permanently installed.
-Spent hours and hours with fiberglass, Bondo, and many square miles of sandpaper getting all bathroom pieces prepped for painting.
-Coated all bathroom pieces with 3 coats of paint.
-Stripped old, smelly wallpaper out of bathroom.
-Used sheet aluminum intended for belly pan for back shower wall.
-Re-installed all bathroom pieces, with the exception of a few trim pieces (ran out of rivets and f@#$%$ing patience).
-Made a second, smaller table for the dinette.
-I also completed half a dozen smaller unfinished projects in regards to storage so the wife could start packing her up.

I know there is more, but I can think of it right now.

I thought I would include a pic of the grey tank in its new home. When I think about it, I can't believe how fortuitous finding this tank was. It is almost a perfect fit side-to-side and length-wise. But what really blows me away is how the dump side hangs down exactly enough for the valve.

Attachment 103730

I am pretty pleased. I may not be when a get around to having a pan made for it.

And here is the bathroom in its current state. Sorry, I had to set my beer down to take the picture. Keep in mind that aluminum was not in the plans for the sink and bathtub skirts. The PO had carpeted right up on these two pieces. I couldn't find anything that would touch the carpet glue, so I reached for the aggressive paint stripper. 15 minutes later, off comes the glue, and the vinyl right along with it. So in lieu of getting out the paint sprayer, I grabbed the polisher. I did clear them as well.

Attachment 103731

I guess I am not doing such a hot job of documenting what I have completed this weekend; which really is the purpose of this thread. I just hope I can find some detailed pictures of how the bathroom looked before the renovation. It was so disgusting, and flat out abused. The before and after should be rather remarkable. What is there now isn't permanent, but I want it to look nice until I come up with some better idea of how to make the bathroom mine. All I know is that the only thing that will remain will be the tub and the new toilet I buy.

Dump
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #137
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Thanks

Thanks Rich. I appreciate the encouragement. Me? Inspire?

In the spirit of full disclosure, I should explain the fire under my bum. You see, camping season is here, and my family is ready to go camping. Too bad I sold our perfectly good camper last year. I am not the most popular guy in the house right now. So let's just say I have plenty of drive to get this thing done.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #138
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
In the spirit of full disclosure, I should explain the fire under my bum. You see, camping season is here, and my family is ready to go camping. Too bad I sold our perfectly good camper last year. I am not the most popular guy in the house right now. So let's just say I have plenty of drive to get this thing done.
I'm in a similar situation. Although we still have our Overlander and could camp in it, the Sovereign has the potential to be much more comfortable for six, so I'm working in every available minute to get it ready. It's becoming a matter of what is necessary and what can be put off until later.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #139
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
Dumpster, I just read this entire thread, and your self-deprecating humor had me smiling the whole time!
You are a talented and handy guy, and definitely have a way with words.
Your Overlander is looking so great, and your hard work shows!

I just bought my first Airstream, a Trade Wind, and I know I will face many of the same issues you have. This thread, and this forum in general, educates and inspires me.

Fantastic job! And Happy Camping!

David
ScoobyShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #140
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Dumpster It looks like you are doing a great job. Others should be inspired by your work and pictures, keep it up and all trailers will look as good as yours. Just my two cents.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote