Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Take a look at this tread http://www.airforums.com/forums/432351-post43.html and http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...s-34646-5.html

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #82
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Yes, You Can Polish A Turd

Thanks for the links, Silverleeper. The #1501 document on shock mounts was a welcome surprise. I am going to do final measurements for the axles today and get them ordered tomorrow. Hard to argue with $349 each (that is without shock mounts). I am still debating on the Nevr-lube bearings. I don't have a price difference yet, but it sounds significant.

Since I had Dumpster out in the driveway, I decided to actually accomplish something and post some progress pics of some first-cut polishing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5091.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	90531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5092.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	90532  

Name:	IMG_5093.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	90533  
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #83
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
But I Wanted a New Fridge!

So after almost a week of back and forth, my axle order went in yesterday. I think the Dexter salesman was even more nervous about getting it wrong than I was. The 2 things I vasilated over the most were the weight ratings and the starting down angle.
If I remember correctly, my Overlander came equipped with #2,800'ers. I thought about going up to #3,200 to be safe, but then I started worrying about rough ride. So I landed on #3,000. Based on the original UVW of around 4,500, that leaves me plenty of carrying capacity. Plus, if I am looking at this right, I should subtract the weight of my running gear anyway. So currently I don't have any cognitive dissonance over that one.
The other struggle was 22.5 or 32 degree downangle. Additional clearance sounded great at the outset. But finding someone to weld the old shock mounts on the new axles was a concern (one more person to confirm that shock mounts from Dexter are only available on the 22.5). Then I decided why mess with the height of a trailer that was designed from the ground up to have a low center of gravity? I ought to pick up an inch or two with new, non-sagged out axles anyway. Perhaps if I had a few years of bumper-scraping experience under my belt I would feel differently.
I guess I was also partially a memeber of the "Going from 12 to 10-inch brakes is bad news" club. This could be flat-out rationalization, but I don't have much concern on this one either. I would never go as far as to say 10's are better than 12's, although I have heard that arguement. In fact, my axle salesman said oversizing your brakes can actually increase locking power instead of braking power. Again, I don't think I will buy into that, necessarily. Given my druthers, I would probably opt for the larger spindles, bearings, and heat dissapating capabilities of the 12's if cost weren't such a big factor. But at some point you have to decide between what is necessary and what is just nice to have. Heck, why stop at 12's? Why not insist on discs? (Re-reading the previous paragraph, I can now say with complete certainty that it is indeed 100%, pure, undeniable rationalization. But I am good at that. I bought a 40 year old wreck didn't I?)
Final cost for the axles was just south of $750 for both. There will be no shipping charge, however the wait will be 4-6 weeks. But since I am not looking forward to swapping them out, and camping season doesn't come around until late May, I think that is plenty fast enough. I can also use that time to come up with a few floor jacks and one of those rotobroach/blair cutter things I read about.
Interesting tidbits-
The diagram reference #1501 for shock mounts was immediately recognized by Dexter.
I also passed along a complete axle part #30161664 that I got from another thread. Something could have been lost in the translation between Dexter and my salesman, but he said that spec'd a 5-lug hub. Just an FYI to be careful.
I purchased my axles from Six Robblees, which has warehouses serving Washington, Oregon, California, Montana and Alaska. My final price seems to be at least among the lowest I have seen posted.
Once they arrive and we know they are going to work, my salesman said I could feel free to post my invoice, and that my part number could be referenced by Dexter if anyone wanted to use it as a starting point.
Just to document, this is what I ordered:
2 - #10 3,000# Torflex axles
10-inch electric self-adjusting brakes
Standard grease hub.
High-profile, reverse orientation side mount brackets
Shock mounts (ref #1501)
6-lug on 5.5"
Outside Bracket spacing - 61 3/8"
Hub - Hub face 80 1/8"
If all goes well, the moral of this story will be: If you can measure and drill 4 holes you can save oodles of money.
If all doesn't go well, the moral will be: Never let money be the obstacle to doing the right thing.
Laters
Old 11-23-2009, 07:02 AM   #84
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Man I wish that I was as far along as you are... GREAT WORK!!!!! I only hope that I can get the same results with my Pile of Aluminum scrap...
MJMarkhams70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Maybe the thought the 10" brakes are wider, and actually have more square inches of stopping area, will help you sleep batter...
Old 11-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #86
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Wood, Jerry. Wood. Or, More Fumes to Sniff

Actually, I sleep really well every night, thanks to my glue sniffing problem, but I like the wider brake logic very much, thanks!

Every since global warming struck Montucky sometime in September, I have been looking for things that I can take out of the trailer and work on indoors. Since panel removal for indoor polishing didn't pan out, I decided to work on some wood. Oh, how I love my wood interior. But it is all old, smelly, dark, and just flat out nasty. So here is what I did if any of you are contemplating this undertaking. Keep in mind that I have all of my doors done except the rear closet and bathroom, and I have a total of 2 hours into the whole project.

I removed each door and its associated hardware. I cleaned and then spray painted the hardware with aluminum-looking rustoleum. On to the wood. I applied a coat of the real nasty Klean-Strip that I had left over from stripping the clear of the exterior. By the time I finished applying, I removed with a plastic scraper. Repeat. So I am now 10 minutes in. This removed all of the varnish, lots of smoke and odors, and just a touch of the original stain. FYI-that veneer is paper thin, so although it needed it in places, I didn't have the stones to sand. Next I applied some stain sealer to bring out the grain of the wood. Next I applied one coat of of Poly (oh my that stuff smells good, hiccup). Let dry, sand lightly with 600 grit. Repeat.

Pictures don't do it justice, but what I am left with is almost as shocking as some Hollywood plastic surgery I have seen. I will work on some before/after shots if I can get the new camera working without reading the directions. This is what was accomplished in lieu of the bare drywall you see in the pix.

Keep in shiny out there.

Best,
Dumpster
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5130.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	91477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5132.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	91478  

Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
Actually, I sleep really well every night, thanks to my glue sniffing problem. Next I applied one coat of of Poly (oh my that stuff smells good, hiccup).
Best,
Dumpster
You may have a problem...

Don't worry you can quit next week.
Your doing a great work.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #88
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Thankfully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post

Your doing great work.

.............someone else shares my sense of humor. Thanks, Lee. I love that movie.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
YouTube - Looks Like I Picked the Wrong Week

Your doing a great work.
Boy, I could use this to relate to a major project I started 3 yrs and 9 months ago .

Thanks for including it Lee. Man, I don't know where you find this stuff (well, actually, I do, it is on YT) but you are already a busy guy.

Barry
Old 03-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #90
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
In Like a Lamb, Out LIke a Lion

On or about the same week as my last post, the snow started flying here. Ever since that date, we have been under snow. Also in that span, the temperature never got above freezing, and we have had at least 3-4 weeks of sub-zero temperatures. In other words-squat has been done on Dumpster.

Last week, things finally started to turn around. The snow is now almost gone (revealing several metric tons of dog stukies), and re-ignited is my flame for restoration/renovation/bastardization/whatever. Last weekend even brought with it a Sunday that topped 50 degrees! So instead of getting after those leaks, I did some polishing. Yeah, I am stupid.

So I have had 2 brand new Dexter axles in my garage for several months now. I think that is going to be the next order of business, provided I can put the necessary tools/gadgets together. I secured a Rotabroach kit to do the drilling, and found a place to rent a transmission jack, which should do nicely for hoisting those puppies up. I was pleasantly surprised at how light they are. I am only a buck-sixty soaken wet, and was able to carry them quite easily.

Beyond the axles I have made two lists: What has to be done, and what I would like done before camping season; neither of which is short. So let the fun begin.

I will try and get to my PM box here shortly. Sorry if you sent me a line.

Best,
Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #91
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Oh Yeah, Who's the Awning Expert?

My awning is completely devoid of any markings. Someone has already identified it as a Carefree. Can anyone venture a guess (albeit educated) at what the model is. Upon closer inspection, I am going to need some parts. Thanks in advance........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5094.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	97936  
Old 03-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #92
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
that is looking GREAT! I hope that our trailer will start seeing some major progress coming up soon...
MJMarkhams70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #93
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Dinette Day

Put in a solid half day on the new U-shaped dinette. The learning curve was tremendous, so progress was painfully slow. I also decided to take an interior panel out to pound out one of Dumpster's many dents while I still had the chance. That set me back a little. Nothing special; Hemlock and Birch. I am trying to make it as light as possible, so I went with 1 x 3's. If anyone has seen the movie " The Patriot", then they know what might happen to me the first time I sit down on it.

Tomorrow is Axle Day, assuming it gets above freezing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5162.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	98402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5163.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	98403  

Name:	IMG_5161.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	98404  
Old 03-20-2010, 05:05 AM   #94
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
I love the warmth of real wood. It looks great.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
My awning is completely devoid of any markings. Someone has already identified it as a Carefree. Can anyone venture a guess (albeit educated) at what the model is. Upon closer inspection, I am going to need some parts. Thanks in advance........
That looks like an 8500 series. Most of the parts will interchange from model to model, like the lift levers and latches.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #96
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Thanks, Terry. Axles Are In

Terry,

Thanks for the awning identification. I was kind of lost the other day looking online. That info will be very helpful.

Well, it was a grueling day, but the axles are swapped. I did it all by my lonesome, encountered many obstacles, and burned most of the daylight (at least above freezing daylight). I will do a more detailed post later with pictures, observations, and a few questions for the experts. But right now, it is time for Aleve, Beer, and Bed.

Keep it shiny out there,

Dump
Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #97
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Dumpster is 2 1/4 Inches Taller

Axle day started at a balmy 18 degrees. I spent the first hour collecting the remaining necessities. I rented a pretty standard looking transmission jack. It simply had a large, flat platform without the rails. I also borrowed a floor jack (which turned out to be worthless), and tried to find new Grade 8 hardware at Lowe’s. No luck.

The next order of business (I was obviously stalling, since it was now a whopping 25 degrees) was to get the back axle up on blocks. I decided long ago while mentally planning this day that I wasn’t going to be under a 2+ ton crusher. The plan was to do 1 axle at a time.

Name:	IMG_5166.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	98520

I hadn’t given any serious thought to how I was going to keep the axles from wanting to twist on the flat transmission jack. But since necessity is the mother of invention, plywood and 2 ba fours were employed. It worked ok.

Name:	IMG_5169.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	98521

The first axle took me over an hour to drop, despite all of the bolts coming loose easily. I guess I was paranoid about what would/could happen. Zero problems. I left the shocks mounted to the axles until I had the whole unit out from under the trailer. The entire first axle probably took me three hours. The second was finished in half that time.

Problems I encountered:

Both axle mounting brackets were 1/8” too narrow. I knew this the day I took possession of them. I couldn’t find any 1/16” washers to split the difference on both sides, so I used 1/8” on the same side on both. This is probably bad.

There was a huge difference in the final shock mount location between the original and new Dexter axle. Every axle thread that I have viewed showed the factory axle having the shock mount on the very outside of the swing arm. This is exactly how my new axles came from Dexter. Too bad my factory axles had the shock mounts more toward the middle of the swing arm. If you couple this with the obvious differences between the 2 axle’s designs, it results in the axle and frame mounts being off each other at least an inch. This is probably really bad. I am going to assume that this is totally unacceptable, unless someone with far superior experience to mine suggests otherwise. I am all ears to any suggested solutions. In the end, it makes me glad I decided against buying new, factory shocks to replace the brand new, non-approved ones that were already on it. Boy would I be p-od.

Name:	IMG_5168.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	98522

The final insult was breaking my new favorite tool; the Rotabroach hole cutter. Many thanks to Zep (no offense to anyone else who may have tooted this horn earlier/elsewhere, but I learned of it in his axle thread) for bringing this little beauty to my attention. That thing cuts holes in steel like room temperature butter. This is a ‘Must-Have’ for this axle project. Anyway, I was getting tired and managed to bind it up a little on my second to last hole. I broke several of its teeth off. With a steady hand, I managed to get that hole finished (with one tooth left). The sad part was that the final hole I needed to drill was through both the frame mount and the axle bracket. So I went after it the old fashioned way. I started with an 1/8” bit and went to work, almost burning up my drill in the process. The bad news? I have no 5/8” drill bit. Sh@#. I also have no ½” bolts. Long story short, there is a ½” drill bit serving as bolt #4 on my aft axle. So I guess the job really isn’t complete.

All in all, I am very glad to have this project behind me. It was weighing pretty heavy on my conscience, as I new it needed to be done, but I didn’t want to do it. Heck, I didn’t want to blow the $700 to begin with. But when I saw the condition of some of my bulkheads, and a wall oven that was pounded into oblivion, I realized I couldn’t rationalize my way out of replacing these things.

Suggestions to others contemplating this project:

-See if Dexter will put larger mounting brackets on these axles. If they were slightly larger, existing frame holes could be used.

-I don’t know if Dexter will deviate from where they currently attach the shock mount. But if they will, I think a simple measurement could be done off of the original axle to ensure proper alignment.

Name:	IMG_5174.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	98523
Old 03-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
One More Axle Replacement - One More Way To Do It...

Great description - and thanks for posting your ingenious solutions to the problems you overcame.

Before too long you will own a "brand new" trailer...

Please continue with the photo dialogue of your rebuild.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #99
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Cookin' Biscuits

One other little thing I did over the weekend was rehab the oven. As previously mentioned, I think the oven took the brunt of old, shot axles bottoming out. The left bottom side of the frame that the door sits on was crushed. This didn’t allow the door to close properly. The other problem with it is that it’s, well, butt ugly. I am no interior designer, but the avocado green (that is what the DW calls it) just doesn’t fit the new scheme.

Name:	oldoven.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	98658

So I repaired the frame as best I could with some encouragement from a hammer and plenty of JB Weld. Then I took the door apart and painted over the green mess with silver, high temp BBQ paint. It looks good from afar, but far from good. I did really light flashes of paint, and managed to keep it semi-transparent like it was before.

I also painted the bottom black. This covered up the “Airstream Custom” logo, and left me without markings. However, there are only 2 knobs. I think I can figure out which is temperature and which is the timer from the markings on the knob.

Name:	oven.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	98659

Someday I will get up the gumption to rebuild the kitchen cabinets to allow for a range, and get rid of this monstrosity altogether.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #100
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
you will grow to love that oven. It is nice and large and works very well. I love mine.

Great thread. I'm not sure how I missed it!!