Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 AM   #61
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Snow News is Bad News, or Oops

Searching out and fixing leaks isn't much fun, nor exciting. It is way more gratifying to hook up new batteries that you won't need for 9 months, replace old ugly overhead lights, or do some interior painting (the Oops part, more to come). Trouble is, what is gratifying isn't always practical. I woke up to about 3 inches of sloppy, wet snow this morning. And there is another 5 inches in the forecast for today. So even though the trailer is miles away from me right now, all I can hear in the silence is ...Drip, drip, drip. I should have just bought a cover.

For the last couple of weeks, I have been busy with kid's things, or trying to score points with the wife by doing house projects. So all I have been able to do in the AS is piddle. Nothing major has been accomplished. I did tear out some of the bathroom, run about half of the new PEX, put up new lights, and do some ugly painting.

Confession time-
Yes, I watched every episode of the DIY AS restoration on the Tube. It makes sense, especially since the rig was almost identical to my own. So yes, I got online looking for black boomerang plastic laminate for my counter tops (my grandma had the same stuff in yellow, so it is a genetic thing). I have also been on the lookout for a decent silver paint that didn't have to be sprayed to paint the front end cap inside. Remember, I don't have a creative cell anywhere in my body. Well, I finally found an awesome paint and went to work. I thought it looked kind of cheesy on the show. Well, I am here to tell you it looks even cheesier in person. So I am going to have to find out what I can paint over laquer with that will stick. Probably more laquer. But the silver has to go. I will stick with the plan of silver accents from here on out.

The other thing I have been trying to do is pretty up the exterior front cap, since it is the only thing I, and my neighbors can see of the AS behind the fence. So I have been doing a little polishing (instead of locating and fixing leaks). Well, I am having a little trouble with the WBCCi stickers. I think Wally intended for these things never to be removed. I have tried every solvent in my own personal arsenal, and can't get the glue off. And much to my chagrin, I can't polish through it either. What is the secret? I have tried laquer thinner, MEK, Acetone, and paint stripper.

Hopefully I will have some noteworthy progress and photos in the not-too-distant future.

Best,
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #62
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
What Not to Do, or, I'm a Dummy

Here are a couple of photos of things you shouldn't do before you find and repair leaks. The last one is what happens if you don't.

If I only had a brain.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4961.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	88486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4964.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	88487  

Name:	IMG_4965.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	88488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4962.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	88489  

Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post

If I only had a brain.......
Well, you COULD arrange the "AIRSTREAM" letters to spell "I ARE SMART", if you think it will help you...
Old 10-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Pottstown , Pennsylvania
After reading these posts, I really feel stupid and naive. We paid $5000 (yes $5000) for a 1972 29' Ambassador just two weeks ago. You may have seen some of my other posts asking for help lately. The guy who sold it to us was a salesman at an RV dealer but this was his own unit - we paid him cash. We were on vacation and made a hasty decision I now realize. We knew the outside had a few small dents and needed stripping and polishing. We knew the inside needed cushions and rugs and a lot of cleaning. BUT he said "everything worked". He lied to us. There is no nice way to put it. The list of items that need repair or replacing just keeps growing. Today we discovered the kitchen sink has a leak because no ever winterized it and the pipes must have froze at some point. I know "buyer beware" but we jumped at the chance to get something we really wanted without checking it out. Now, I don't know what to do. I feel like the work will be just overwhelming in terms of time and money and I miss my popup that we left there on consignment to be sold that is in great condition. So, did I (we) make a huge mistake and should be just try to sell it for less with full disclosures of the repairs and try to get at least some of our money back? Or, should we keep it and will it ever be worth what we have to put into it? Did I mention the arguments its causing between me and my husband also in the process and that he has become obsessed with it and I had to threaten to confiscate the keys just so the he would catch up on the yard work before it gets too cold? Any thoughts at all would be appreciated.
mwinter973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:56 PM   #65
Rivet Master

If he wants to work on it, let him! If nothing works, then you may need to take it up with the seller, but if it has one or three things wrong, and you don't need to replace the subflooring, you have a fair deal and should fix it and go camping. I spent about the same for a '64 safari with a bad floor, but everything else working. I will have 10k in it by the time I'm done.
Happy camping, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #66
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Stick it to 'em

If not too much time has elapsed, I would go back to the seller and say his verbal agreement wasn't met. Actually, I would approach it more from the standpoint that you expect remedy, as opposed to asking. I did this very thing on one I bought off Ebay. I was surprised to find the problem solved. Some states require full disclosure, not sure on yours. Otherwise, unless we are talking many thousands of dollars, I suggest rolling with it if you like the trailer.

My 2 cents.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #67
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Pottstown , Pennsylvania
Digging My Own Grave

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. To answer some questions, as far as we know, it does NOT need a sub-floor. The carpet was taken up and we can see the floor. My husband said it would not hurt to put a thin layer of wood on top of what we have before we install new carpet but the floor is okay. One other positive we just discovered yesterday is that the oven (which is the original Magic Chef wall oven) and stove do work. the stove does need a major cleaning, new knobs, and probably new burners and cover too. Dumpster summed up my feelings exactly. I thought we did have a "verbal agreement" on his statement that "everything works". I am not sure what a verbal agreement is worth to anyone these days. In retrospect, I do like the trailer; especially the layout. But, the work is overwhelming me already and I think we paid too much. If the seller had been more honest about the repairs, we would have offerred less money for the trailer and at least known what we were getting ourselves into. He led us to believe that all of the work was cosmetic in nature and he said we could completely refubish the whole unit (actually replace cabinetry and all) for about $2500. That should give everyone something to laugh at. I guess I just don't like the my husband feel like fools for taking him at his word and getting into this mess.
mwinter973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #68
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
Well... At least you've got an AS.. I've got one of those other boxes that I fear nobody wants and it needs its own repairs before I can ditch it.. My wife is really interested in getting a motorhome (not a trailer) but I need to get into her head that if they aren't driven regularly they'll become maintenance problems and that perhaps a trailer (AS) is a better end goal - at least from that perspective.. For now we've been back to tent camping from the back of an enclosed 4x6 utility trailer.. Ouch!

Dumpster -- Keep up the good work.. I'm enjoying your progress/efforts!
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #69
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
I Polished My Trailer!

Well,

At least as far as the neighbors are concerned I did.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4986.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	89530  
Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I think I just sold the arms to our house today...but there is no makers mark...not even MADE IN CHINA!
Old 10-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #71
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Cryptic

Hey, these smiley face things are kinda cool.

Ok. I am going back to my previous username.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #72
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Really!; or Why Didn't I Think of That?

So I ran into the friend of mine who does sheet metal work today. He reminded me that I had asked him to cut some brushed aluminum panels for me to replace the hideous plastic, fake-wood laminate on my fridge. Since he is offering, tonight I am in the trailer taking the fridge apart to bring him the laminate pieces as templates. Well guess what I found under the ugly laminate? Beautiful sheets of stainless steel, still covered in that sticky plastic coating. Suddenly, I remember making a similar discovery with an old dishwasher in my first house.

Anyway, maybe you all knew this already. However, if you didn't, and you have one of these ugly-a$$ed things in your rig, it might be worth pulling out the screw driver and doing some investigating.

Keep it shiny out there,
Dumpster
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4441.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	89900  
Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #73
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Ah, That Feels Better, or Instant Gratification

In the Airstream Spirit, I opted for aluminum over the gratis stainless steel. You know, dissimilar metals and all? This is anodized, which I am told will be more durable and resist smudges (and kiddie fingerprints) better. Ok, that is total crap. That is all he had. But next to getting rid of the orange/red carpet, this is the best visual improvement yet if I do say my darn self.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5009.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	89949  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #74
Rivet Master

That looks suuweeet!
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #75
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Funkandgroovin, or Lock it Up

If you havenít noticed, I just donít have any huge blocks of time to dedicate to a project of any substance. Hence, I am regaling you all with this boring crap. And just like watching old Benny Hill reruns, if you get tired of it, you can always change the channel.

Somewhere, on the long list of things wrong with my AS was the lack of a lockable door. The lock core was missing. The inside lock was also being held up with bailing wire, preventing it from locking itself with you on the outside (some POís liked silicone, some liked liquid wood, mine liked bailing wire. Oh yeah, and silicone too). I did figure out how to lock and unlock it from the outside with a special tool, but I figure a thief could as well. So immediately upon bringing it home I started searching for a replacement lock core.

Establishment A could only offer a complete door lock assembly replacement that from what I understand wasnít original and required the use of aluminum filler plates, as it was different in size than the original. It would also have chewed up roughly 50% of my water heater replacement budget.

Establishment B offered a complete, new lock that looks exactly like the original for roughly 20% of what I paid for the entire trailer. Ouch! Time for a little rant:
This lock/handle is a joke. It is way over-engineered, and yet held together with pitch and spit. The thought of not being able to get the door open from the inside in an emergency has crossed my mind. It kind of reminds me of the electrical systems on most German cars; really nifty, when it works. Donít be offended. It is a joke. So there is no way I am blowing $500 on a new one. Disclaimer Ė ďThe views expressed in this post are that of an eternally bitter man who likes to complain, a lot, and in no why reflect that of corporate, or their advertisersĒ. Rant over.

So after combing the web and coming up empty handed, I finally called VTS. They informed me that they couldnít help, but knew who could. So they put me in touch with Griffith RV (hope I got that right). I called them up and they knew exactly what I was after. They were out of stock, but would call me when some came in. I fully expected to be calling them back in several weeks. Well I will be darned if they didnít call me Wednesday. So $30 later, I now have a lockable trailer. Big thanks to both VTS and Griffith.

I also worked a little on the appearance of the whole thing. Turns out that old clear coat can make a door lock look just as bad as the rest of the trailer. So some stripper and some spit shine and I am pretty satisfied with the results. I just need to measure my youngest child to see if he can fit through the rear side compartment door incase my nifty new lock gets Farfignuggin, or wuttevr.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lock1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	90179   Click image for larger version

Name:	lock4.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	90180  

Old 11-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
The lock looks great. You can save yourself a lot of money by doing the homework. I do hate homework but it is rewarding.

Funny! Your rant got me to thinking that I didn't have tourrettes until after I started on my first Airstream renovation. I've done two trailers now and I need all the camping I can get to keep from popping like a champaign cork.

Keep up the good work.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #77
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
...I also worked a little on the appearance of the whole thing. Turns out that old clear coat can make a door lock look just as bad as the rest of the trailer. So some stripper and some spit shine and I am pretty satisfied with the results. I just need to measure my youngest child to see if he can fit through the rear side compartment door incase my nifty new lock gets Farfignuggin, or wuttevr.

Wow, Dumpster, I thought my lock looked better when I redid it, but yours blows me away! Great job!

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #78
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Thanks

Thanks for saying so. Like I said, getting rid of the sunburned clear did most of it. Then I noticed that the brush marks, or grain of the metal were very pronounced. So I rolled the dice and used some pretty aggressive sandpaper, going with the grain.

One more piece of shiny jewelry on the turd, I mean Dumpster.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #79
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Dumpster is Seeing Stars, or, 15 Minutes of Fame

When I got home from work tonight, my wife informed me that I needed to get Dumpster out in the driveway, and get the inside picked up, as he was going to be making his film debut. Yep. A film crew is arriving tomorrow to film a commercial inside my good pal Dumpster. This seems like an appropriate place to stick a smiley face, as I am just as confused as you are. But I don't see just the right one.

As of now, you all know just as much as I do. Same goes for my wife. I can't divulge the product that will be the feature of the commercial, but it is fairly big-time. Why they chose Billings, Montucky; I have no idea. Why they chose my wreck; I am at even further a loss. All I hope is that it is the most amazing new product in the world that can suck massive dents out of aluminum, turn mountains of plexi into tempered glass, magically revitalize 40 year old rubber cords, polish like some contraption from the Jetsons, and do upholstery for free.

My wife sternly warned the producer that Dumpster was not very photogenic, to say the least. Let’s face it; DW is not Dumpster’s biggest fan. But they didn’t seem to care. If the product being featured were a pooper-scooper, it might all make sense.

Hopefully Dumpster isn’t whoring himself out to make a few bucks.

What this has to do with AS renovation, I have no idea. It is just so fooking (beauty, ay?) random, I simply had to share. Thanks for obliging me, and Dumpster's new career.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #80
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Axle Arm Length, and Dumpster's Short Film Career

Dumpster didn't make the cut. I guess he needs a new agent. I guess there wasn't enough room in him for all of the gear/crew, so they opted for our living room instead. Had I been home, they said they would have gone through with it and filmed me instead. That would have been a mistake and resulted in broken camera lenses. Enough of this......

I am going to order my axles on Monday since I have Dumpster out on the driveway and I can take measurements. My Dexter Axle order form asks for swing arm length. Does anyone happen to have this measurement as a sanity check for what I come up with? Thanks in advance.

Best,