Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #261
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
"Mintage" now "Blue Moon Caravans"

Just a follow-up, they are still in business in East Mizzou-town. An "employee buy-out." They have lots of parts laying around and may be a source for future... uh, window needs... or other!

Go Griz!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2162.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	180294  
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #262
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Zoo

Thanks. Pretty cool having that in your backyard. Doesn't look like it was very nice there yesterday. It makes it hard to think about camping.

Go Griz! #10's back!

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #263
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
The Wheels on the Bus Go Up and Down..Wait, What The?

I finally took a break from my home projects to pay a little bit of attention to Dumpster. After all, we are planning to go out Memorial Day weekend. So I should probably have her all ready to go so it can snow 2ft that Friday.

Anyway, the aforementioned table leg-
What has kept me from doing this seemingly easy project has to do with the minimum height of the telescoping leg when it is fully collapsed. I believe it is advertised at 12.75 inches. Well, that is a problem, because the height of my dinette seats is just over 12”. My initial plan was to get out the router and the circle jig, and remove the laminate flooring from under where the base would sit. I figured this would give me 5/16” extra. Then it occurred to me; “what if this thing sucks, and I want to go back to Plan A?” The base on the new table has about a 12” diameter. You can figure out the rest. I finally decided to scrap the table mount that came with it, which was actually quite thick. I went and got a piece of 12”x12” sheet steel to use in its place. I still need to weld some reinforcements, but it appears to work just fine. So here is the table up, and down.

Name:	IMG_0507.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	184695Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0508.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	184696
My Review-
Granted, it hasn’t seen real live action yet (you know-kid’s elbows coupled with cereal bowls full of milk, or that oh-so too full glass of OJ, again coupled with kid’s elbows on the table), but I am really impressed. Does it wobble? Yes, a little. Does it wobble any more than a center, column-legged kitchen table? No way. This thing is beefy, burly, flat-out industrial. And no more lifting the table top off, finding a place to lean it while I remove the leg, and finally place the table back into its nighttime bed position. Flip open the two locking levers, push down on the center, relock them, and Bickety Bam! Bed is made. I don’t know if it is proper say that one has multiple “Bane(s)” of their existence, but if you can, I have one less now.

In short-Mikey likes it.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #264
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Really Cool Gadgets, or, Overkill?

At the beginning of last season, I noticed considerable deterioration in my pricey AGM batteries. This prompted a sudden interest in on-board energy consumption. I immediately switched out all of my incandescent bulbs for LED’s, and became the “Juice Nazi” when it came to TV time and lights getting left on. I also bought a battery desulphator, hoping the $50 miracle could somehow revive my batteries. Not so. My son convinced me that we needed to sleep in the camper one night about 3 weeks ago. Considering this a ‘dry run’ of sorts, I decided to mimic a normal night of boondocking- furnace on, lights for reading, and a fan on all night. The next morning, my battery voltage read 10.7 volts. Oof! I think somewhere in the neighborhood 11.5 volts is considered depleted (or 50% State of Charge). Huh. That isn’t going to fly.

I made some mistakes with the previous set of batteries. I bought 2 – 12 volters instead of 2 – 6 volts. This is a no, no, and I knew it at the time. But Instant Gratification Boy couldn’t wait for the proper batteries to come into stock. I also never paid much attention to true State of Charge, or what sort of amperage certain items were drawing. Well, after blowing $450+ on a new, single 12V, 200 AH AGM, I decided it was time to take battery monitoring more seriously. At best, it might allow greater longevity of the new battery. At worst, it is a pretty cool gadget that provides lots of information; perhaps too much. Overkill, maybe?

I decided on a Bogart Engineering TriMetric TM-2025 monitor panel with the 500A/50mV shunt. It displays battery voltage, battery % full, and current (+/-) in watts or amps. Well, it does way more than that, but that is as far as I have gotten in the user’s manual. It also does some pretty sophisticated data logging that hopefully I can report back on later.

What I love most about it is that I have a very accurate measure of battery voltage, which is the only true measure of State of Charge this side of hydrometer (which you can’t use on AGM’s). I also gather that this thing will ‘learn’, and get more accurate the more cycles I go through. I also love having the very accurate ammeter at my disposal with the push of a button. “I wonder how much juice the kids are burning watching that little bit of TV before bed?” Well, this fancy gadget here says it draws 2.5 amps. “And the wife reading under an LED floodlight?” Sweet! Only .2 Amps! Maybe I should have the kids read instead of watch TV? Nah! Anyway, you get the idea-discovering what the energy hogs are.

It is also cool to see the ‘smart charger’ in action, which I can’t with a simple voltmeter. Since it shows current as well, I can watch the taper charge occur. Whereas before, I assumed my batteries were fully charged when the voltage dropped. Not so. I actually left town with the trailer Memorial Day weekend knowing my battery wasn’t at full charge, whereas previously, I would have thought it was.

I had plans to put this in a new panel to replace the super-fancy Airstream Control Center. However, I finally decided that I have gone to pretty great lengths to hide newer technology in the remodel. So this is behind the fold-up door next to where the stereo sits. I also decided to put in a tank monitor panel while I was as it. It seems like overkill now since I am only utilizing the tank lights and water pump switch, but just wait until I get the on-board generator, electric awning, and bedroom and living room slides installed.

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	186796

Old 05-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #265
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Great news on the table support, so who makes it and what is the Part number?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #266
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Table Part Number. Yes, I Own the Company

I was just reprimanded by the Font Police, so hopefully this is in compliance and doesn't get deleted. It is made by Springfield Marine, Part #SPR 1660230. I know it is available in black or aluminum. Be sure to watch Ebay, as I see them on there from time to time. Full MSRP is $299.

It does have a little bit of wobble, but that is my fault. I didn't use the table mount it came with due to height restrictions. I made mine out of 1/8" plate steel. I still need to weld on some reinforcements. Regardless, we had 4 sets of kiddie elbows on it all weekend, and not a single problem.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #267
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Belmont , California
Just wondering what depth you made your seats Dumpster?

I've just made almost an identical dinette (even made it 15" high to accommodate the exact leg you've used w/ a 1.5" table) and I just used the old twin benches as a template so each is 28" deep.

It's looking ok, but much more like a day-bed than a dining area like you have. Thinking I may change my thinking on the leg to opt for a removable table top unless I go back to the drawing board rethink it.
usuallyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #268
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
-Ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallyalex View Post
Just wondering what depth you made your seats Dumpster?
24 inches, ish. I was more concerned with the "U" being square than anything. But at its widest point, where the sidewalls haven't started the curve, 24". For whatever reason, if my memory serves, the fore (front) wound up being 25"-ish.

I would have liked to go higher than the 12" that I did, but I worked down from the bottom of the widows, minus the backrest cushions and landed where I did.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #269
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Belmont , California
That helps - so you have a full 8 inches more table. Ah well, I've got this far so let's give it a go. I'm sure making a second one would me much faster if it doesn't work out

Name:	image-2586981578.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	479.3 KB
ID:	190249
usuallyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #270
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Tulum , Mexico
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
The next item on the punch list is the fresh water fill. This thing blows! Not only is it really ugly, it leaks inside the trailer everytime I use it. So in my quest to replace everything plastic on the exterior, I went back to the marine industry. However, I couldn't find one large enough to fill the old hole, so a patch was in order. It isn't Alclad, but it polished up pretty good in the end. I was all ready to use stainless screws to secure the patch, but decided I was ready to try my hand at bucking. Plus, I had everything I needed in the bucking kit I got off Ebay. So out came the Clecos. So far so good. My inexperience at bucking showed itself on the last rivet, when I discovered my rivet gun has an overdrive. I will let you all decide if you notice. I also gather that these aren't the correct rivets. I am not going to lose too much sleep since it isn't structural, and I can seal from the inside. Anyway, I think it turned out pretty nice. It started to rain the second I got the camera, which smeared things up pretty good.
can I ask what water inlet you bought? Where'd you get it? I have the same butt ugly plastic crap on mine and would love to,replace it.
Thanks!
albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #271
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert View Post
can I ask what water inlet you bought? Where'd you get it? I have the same butt ugly plastic crap on mine and would love to,replace it.
Thanks!
Greetings Albert,

I got it off Ebay for around $30 shipped. Do a search for "stainless water deck fill". That should produce many results. Just my 2¢- get one of the keyless ones. One less thing to keep track of.

Cheers!

Old 12-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #272
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Oh Yeah

New 316 Stainless Water Deck Fill Pop Up Free Shipping | eBay

That is very close to the one I got. I should also mention that you will also need a vent. That is incorporated in your current fill. I didn't see any on Ebay, but vent might not be the right word. I will look back at my photos to see if it is captured. If not, I will try and add.

Dump

Old 12-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #273
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Tulum , Mexico
Quote:
Greetings Albert,

I got it off Ebay for around $30 shipped. Do a search for "stainless water deck fill". That should produce many results. Just my 2¢- get one of the keyless ones. One less thing to keep track of.

Cheers!

Shoot, I did a big eBay search and no luck, nothing as cool as yours!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #274
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Check the link

I linked to one on Ebay in my second post. #272. Just like mine.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #275
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Tulum , Mexico
Hmmm? that water inlet looks NOTHING like the one you posted. Yours had a mouth to it, this one is a twist key thingy. Not at all the same... Im confused?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #276
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Tulum , Mexico
Quote:
New 316 Stainless Water Deck Fill Pop Up Free Shipping | eBay

That is very close to the one I got. I should also mention that you will also need a vent. That is incorporated in your current fill. I didn't see any on Ebay, but vent might not be the right word. I will look back at my photos to see if it is captured. If not, I will try and add.

Dump
Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it! I am trying to search everywhere for this darn thing, no luck yet, but I wont be defeated!
Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #277
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Just to Be Sure

Search for Ebay item # 400304687321, just to be certain we are looking at the same one. One little difference I notice is that "water" is painted blue on that one.

Name:	!B)SYI8wB2k~$(KGrHqF,!h8Ev1+zwsMbBMM144WfkQ~~_12.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	202024

Other than that, it is the same as mine. The knob to turn it out is spring loaded, and pops out once you press it. Perhaps this looks different due to the circular patch I used?

Name:	DSCN1587.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	202025

Old 12-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #278
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Tulum , Mexico
Oh shoot, this is the wrong thread for what I was referring to. I was looking at a thread that had a different water fill. Is yours for a bucket fill or a hose fill?
Old 12-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #279
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Tulum , Mexico
so can you show or tell me what it looks like once it is opened? Is it a bucket fill or a hose connection??
Thanks!

Quote:
Search for Ebay item # 400304687321, just to be certain we are looking at the same one. One little difference I notice is that "water" is painted blue on that one.

Attachment 202024

Other than that, it is the same as mine. The knob to turn it out is spring loaded, and pops out once you press it. Perhaps this looks different due to the circular patch I used?

Attachment 202025
Old 03-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #280
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brooklet , Georgia
I am about to pull the trigger on a 77 airstream argosy 28' model. Not sure if we are allowed to speak of argosy's here? I am new to this and have only done home remodels so far and basic upkeep on an old fifth wheel we used to own. This will be a complete gut and renovation. My question is about all of the axle talk. Ya'll guys use some lingo about axles that i dont understand as of yet. Can someone give me the basics of what to look at on this one i am about to purchase on the axle portions only? Unloaded axles etc? Not sure what that means?
Duckgirl321
Duckgirl321 is offline   Reply With Quote