Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #241
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
All Done

I have actually had the new fridge in for a couple of weeks now. The new cooling unit went in easily and works very well. Actual fridge installation was a bigger project than I had planned, but what isn't? It is quite a bit smaller in both height and width, yet bigger on the inside. So I had to build a platform for it, and cut fill strips for one side. It turned out well. I was waiting to get my aluminum panels cut for it before I posted a pic. I will snap a couple tonight.

Laterz

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #242
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Boy, Is This Ever Embarrassing

So either I can't paint (or clear, as it were), or I need lessons in photography. I waited to post pix of my new fridge install until I had the aluminum panels on, and now this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1960.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	137447

Funny how pictures reveal defects you don't notice in real life. Anyway, I couldn't get my hands on any more anodized AL, so I had to go with 5052 and some clear. Looks like I am in for some wet-sanding, or a redo. Love the new box, though! Worth the 400 bones any day.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #243
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
so Chris, what's new with the Dumpster these days? any new additions or modifications you can share?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #244
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
I wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
so Chris, what's new with the Dumpster these days? any new additions or modifications you can share?
Life sux. New job is kicking my arse up and down the street. I have had no time to do much of anything. The new fridge is about it for this year. That, and my third and final window is supposed to arrive today. After I get that hung, the only plexi left on ole' Dump will be the wing windows up front.

I did discover something interesting during my fridge installation, however. I had read in someone else's post that the wood that was painted brown on the cabinets was some garbage that really should stay painted. So I was planning to put a fresh coat on all of it. Come to find out it is all solid walnut (or whatever). So I am anxious to strip and treat all of that. It is really pretty stuff.

I am also contemplating getting rid of the bum-ugly tambour uppers. I just haven't come up with a worthy replacement idea yet.

At this point, I would just like to have the time to use Dumpster. I think we only made it out 6 times this year. Pathetic.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #245
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Window Hinge Rivets

So I received my final window in the mail late last week. Boy, what an improvement these windows make over the old, faded plexi. Anyway, this one came without the hinge. So I am going to have to recycle the old one. Anyone know off the top of their head what size rivets hold the hinge on to the window pane? I think I have a set of approximately the right size. Also, what is a good source where I won't have to order a pound?

Thanks, All.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #246
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
I have buck rivets left over from working on the patches/rock guard. How many can I send you? LMK
Old 04-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #247
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
So Much Easier to Tow You With, My Dear.

Yawn-

Me waking up from the winter slumber. I haven’t done squat on Dumpster all winter, which leaves a fairly lengthy list of things to get done before the season starts. Out of sheer laziness, I have decided to defer Dump’s body repairs another year. I have to remember what my mom used to tell me – “looks aren’t everything”. Who am I to argue with mom?

I am currently wrestling with the final window replacement that I found last fall. It came without the hinge, so now that I have finally located the correct rivets I can try my hand at bucking again. I am also in the middle of installing a heat vent in the bedroom. It never made much sense to me to have one in the front, one in the bath, and not one in the bedroom. I will post pix when I am done.

“So what is the point of your post again”? Oh yeah, sorry. I stumbled on this last week, and the deal was just too good to pass up.

Name:	IMAG0212.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	156112

I have wanted one of these since I was old enough to drive. So my bucket-list is now completed.

Keep it shiny out there!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #248
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Calling Out Aerowood, or, Another Boring Post

So I couldn’t figure out what size rivets were needed for my window hinge. What do you do when you don’t know? Ask the expert. So not only does kind, Mr. Aerowood give me the 400 digit rivet number (which I bet he didn’t even have to look up), he gave me the greatest tip-

When replacing window seals, I was always frustrated by the amount of interference the rivet backs create in getting good adhesion. Aerowood’s solution was to countersink the holes from behind. People, this is sheer genius! I am sure he has probably posted this suggestion elsewhere (and I am probably just the last one to know about it), but I think it should be in as many places as possible.

Crappy pix below. The second one shows the rivet back perfectly flush with the surface.

Thanks Aero!

Name:	IMG_0110[1].jpg
Views:	134
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	156283

Name:	IMG_0111[1].jpg
Views:	125
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	156284

Name:	IMG_0112[1].jpg
Views:	137
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	156285

Yes. It would appear that this project was so taxing, that it required some refreshments mid-way through.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #249
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
I Love it When a Plan Comes Together, or, ABP

So I was driving down the street in my new ride the other day, and looked down at the Prodigy brake controller (came with the truck, so now I have 2), screwed to the underside of the dash. All I could think of was how lame, and inconveniently out of reach it was. Then I looked above that at a completely useless looking pocket. What would I ever put in there? Last night I figured it out.

Name:	IMG_0138[1].jpg
Views:	140
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	156881

Old 06-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #250
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
AMG’s and LED’s are Related, or, SOB!!!!!!!!!!

With the maiden voyage of the season, there are always problems. The first being MNMUMV; Mother Nature Mucked Up Maiden Voyage. It was supposed to be Memorial Day weekend, but where we were headed got over 18” of snow. Suffice it to say, Maiden Voyage occurred last weekend.

For pretty much ever, we have been energy hogs in our trailer, never much paying attention to consumption. Reason being, we were loaded up with about 225 AH of AGM goodness. We even pulled off a 6 night trip to Jellystone, which meant furnace every night. Plus, we run a fan all night for the noise. Well, the jig is up, and I can no longer endorse Trojan batteries. After less than three years, they appear to be nearly toast. Keep in mind that I have one of the better charger/converters. We were out 2 nights total. The first night we were our typical, piggish selves; TV/DVD, lights on all over the place, stereo all day long, and fan all night. Then came night 2 – Doh! We are down to a mere 11.2 volts. Suffice it to say, we really had to rough it to make it through.

So now I have to pay for all my years of energy-drunken debauchery. I either have to pony up another 4-plus Benjamins for new batts (CERTAINLY NOT TROJAN-did I mention I am peeved with Trojan?), or get off the sauce. Step 1 of the 12 step program is lights.

Most cheap LED’s have little light output, or are so cool in color they are blue; or both. The proper ones seem to run between $20-$25 a piece. Well, count up the bulbs in my trailer and I am almost to the cost of one new battery. So I pulled a Walmart, and did some shopping in China. I found some excellent LED bulbs for under $2 each. I thought I would do a little visual for those that aren’t familiar with LED’s.

First off, standard G921 incandescent bulb:

Name:	g9102.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	160292
Ok, that’s 1.476 AMPs.

Now for the cheap, 25-LED:

Name:	led2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	160293
Ok, that’s less. In fairness, a lot less. Almost 11 times less, to be exact. I have no way to measure lumens (speaking of which, no making fun of my Crap Shack multi-meter ), but I would rate light output as ‘in the ballpark’.

So how come the bulbs put out about the same amount of light, but one uses 11 times less juice? I can’t remember if it was Sir Isaac Newton or Cliff Claven who said that every action has an equal, negative reaction. But if 12 watts goes in, and only 1 watt’s worth of light comes out, those other 11 watts have to come out somehow. Well, that somehow is heat:

Name:	heat.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	160294
That is less than thirty seconds of the light being on.

Up Next: Step 2: Denial, or Buy a Generator, or.........

Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #251
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
LED Part II, or, More Bore

I know, what could be more boring than another post about LED’s? You see, it’s just that I think I did something clever; something I rarely if ever do.

So I replaced all of the standard bulbs in Dumpster with the LED’s. So all that left is the under-cabinet spot lights. I know these things suck juice, and are frequently used for reading in bed. Much like the other bulbs, LED replacements for these are really expensive. It is almost more economical to replace the whole fixture. Then I found some across the pond that were a little more reasonably priced, but would take a month to get here. Coupled with my cheap tendencies is a healthy dose of instant gratification, so that wasn’t going to work. So with necess........ frugality being the Mother of invention, I came up with an idea.

So I went to work on one of the bulbs with a cutoff wheel on my Dremel. I carefully scored the glass all the way around, just above the copper base. When the vacuum in the bulb popped, it did leave one rather jagged edge. This proved be helpful later on in lining things back up.

Name:	Cut.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	160675

Next, I simply removed the filament, and soldered in another one of the standard LED bulbs.

Name:	Led on.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	160676

When done, I just glued the blub back together. I was reaching for the high-temp epoxy when I realized heat would no longer be an issue. So I just used super glue.

This is about a 10 minute project per bulb, if’n yur cheap, like me. Sorry for the lousy last picture.

Name:	light.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	160677

Laterz

Old 06-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #252
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Horribly Impractical But Cool, or, I Had Nothing Better To Do

As if I don't have a list a mile long of necessary repairs\modifications. What came over me, I have no idea. But on our last camping trip, I decided that I hated the interior skin on our door. It looked like someone turned a Tazmanian Devil loose inside, and he was looking to get out. The skin was just beat to He\\. Plus, when propped open, the green color just didn't look right up against the rest of the polished trailer.

Name:	olddoor.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	161425

Decision to re-skin: Affirmative.

Actually, it took longer to polish the aluminum than it did to actually replace the skin. And I have a long way to go on the polishing. But total time for the skin change was about 1.5 hours. I drilled out the rivets and pulled the old skins. I was thinking I would replace the insulation, but what was there looked brand new. I placed the old skins on the AL sheet, drilled a couple of holes for Cleco's, and just used the old skin as a cutting guide. Worked like a charm. I will say that either electric shears aren't the right tool for this job, or Harbor Freight isn't the place to buy shears. The cut edge that was left was pretty grim, and I spent more time with the file than I did cutting.

Also, all I had on hand was what I think is 5052 aluminum. Too bad I didn't have some Alclad laying around. This stuff actually polishes up pretty good, but it is work. Lot's of work. I caked up 4 pads getting to this point.

Name:	Newdoor.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	161424

Now that it is all said and done, I am very glad I committed the roughly 4 hours. Now I can leave my door open and feel no shame.

Laterz

Old 06-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #253
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
Now I can leave my door open and feel no shame.

Laterz
... or check your appearance before leaving the trailer.

It looks great, I've got the same project on my to-do list.

Grant

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #254
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Cutting Dumpster's Altitude Teeth, or, Top O The World, Ma!

Just reporting after our Bi-Annual trip to Jellystone National Park. Sadly, we didn't see Boo Boo or his larger, dumber friend. We did see 100's of baby Bison Burgers, however. So cute, and tasty.

We haven't pulled over the Beartooth pass in over 5 years, after which the DW said "Never again!". Well, we needed to get back in a hurry for her, so again was July 4th. Here is Dump at the highest point of the pass, just shy of 11,000 ft.

Name:	IMG_0227[1].jpg
Views:	151
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	162489

Dumpster didn't accomplish much other than staying attached. My poor truck is the real unsung hero, climbing thousands of feet in very short order without neary a grunt or a grumble. We should also mention my fantastic driving skills at keeping it between the lines, which on the Wyoming side are about 2 inches wider than the trailer . Actually, I took my half right out of the middle, as there wasn't much traffic.

Hope all are having a tremendous camping season!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #255
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Herculean Glass My A$$, or, I Am Window Hunting Again

This window (yes, the big one)

Name:	window.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	166013
shattered into about a billion pieces after being hit with a pebble about a quarter the size of a pencil eraser; basically thrown by hand (not hurricane winds). Am I confusing my Greek gods, or wasn’t Hercules supposed to be tough? To add the cherry on top of the giant turd sundae, it happened about 600 miles from home. But as it turns out, duct tape, AL tape and garbage bags are a ‘must have’ in the Ole tool kit.

I have calmed down since, but had decided the night of that curved windows are pointless, and that fulfilling my dream of a ’61 Overlander was right around the corner. Maybe in the next decade. So I am back to window shopping. I was plexi-glass free for all of about 4 months.

I'm just lucky, I guess

Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #256
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Ah. That's too bad about the window. I had one of those from a '69 Sov. The guy I gave it to needed it because of the same type of pebble incident. Unfortunately, it broke when he was installing it. Now that is lucky two times.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #257
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Still Plexi-Free, or, A Poly Band-Aid

Knowing a window wasn't going to magically appear before our next outing, I knew I had to do something. Dumpster already has one serious black eye, we can't go out with two. I headed to Lowe's, fully intending to purchase Lexan. After being revived by a quick zap from an AED (sticker shock), I walked out with some stuff that is between Lexan and standard Polycarbonate. I was going to do Lexan, because I was considering it as a semi-perminant repair. But the price on the sheet I needed was about 75% of what I have found new (used) windows for. Plus, despite being 250 times stronger than glass, it doesn't appear to be much less prone to scratching than Poly. Whatever this stuff is called, a 48"x24" sheet ran me $25.

I should have detailed this process, primarily for my own likely future need. But I was too lazy to get out the camera. Basically I drilled out all of the rivets. The frame is in two pieces, held together on the top by the hinge, and the bottom by nothing. Inside the aluminum channel at both top and bottom are little steel rods that get riveted through on the bottom, and provide rigidity at the seems. The top one was fine, but the bottom was heavily rusted, and took hours of soaking in penetrant and lots of smacking to break free. I cut the plastic sheet on the table saw with a very slow feed rate, then cut out the radius corners with a sabre saw with a fine metal blade. I reused the old seal, as it was in great shape. I just lucked out having the proper rivets to put it all back together. I think it turned out just fine.

Name:	lexan.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	166144

In the future, I think I will go ahead and do this repair on broken windows regardless of whether I have a replacement, so I will always have spares.

Pros: Very light weight, inexpensive, easy to cut and thermomold, and far stronger than glass.

Cons: Leaves window with very little side-to-side rigidity, will scratch very easily.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #258
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
The Issue Has Been Tabled, or, Wobble No More?

Since the furry rodent, Punxsutawney Phil will be giving us his take on how much longer winter will last, my attention suddenly moved over to Dumpster momentarily the other day. What needs doing before spring?

It is funny what things bug me, and thus garners my time on the trailer. What immediately popped into my head was (no, not the side damage) the wobbly table. I thought I had it licked with the marine, locking leg. It is fine for adults. We all grew up getting smacked in the head if we rested our elbows on the table. The kids? Not so much. Let’s just say there is a lot of spilled milk. I also dislike converting said table into a bed every night, and converting said bed to the breakfast table every morning. So I have been snooping around the marine websites again, and came across this little engineering beauty…

Name:	table low.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	177406 Click image for larger version

Name:	table high.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	177405

It is a 3-stage, gas charged pedestal. It’s range is 12 5/8” up to 28”. It is really burly, being a 4” post at the bottom, and approximately 12” base and table mount. If this doesn’t do the trick, I don’t know what will.

These are really expensive, around 300 bones. They are available in anodized aluminum or black. Thinking I can clean up a lot of spilled milk for $300, I decided against it. Then I lucked out and picked one up off Ebay for a song. And I can’t sing. Sadly, it is black. But I can also look the other way pretty easily for $300. Or buy a $5 can of spray paint.

Anyway, very anxious to get it installed and see if the wobble is no more.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #259
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I'd be interested in a reveiw after you get it
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #260
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Will Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I'd be interested in a reveiw after you get it
I will give a full report once it is installed. It might be a few weeks out, as I have a height issue to deal with. I am either going to have to shorten it, or get out the router and the circle jig to remove the laminate flooring below where it will sit.

Right off, I am impressed with its quality. It is heavy-duty, and built to tight tolerances. The TIG welds that I can see look good.