Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Colin Hyde Restorations 1970 Overlander

Like many of us, I just received my Spring 2019 edition of Airstream Life. There is a great article on page 39 about a total renovation of a 1970 Overlander by Colin Hyde Restorations in New York state. I wanted to direct Overlander enthusiast's attention to it.

There are very few of us who know more about vintage Airstreams than this company. I am definitely not in that league. The company built this Overlander to the owner's desires. I think it is fantastic! It is well worth your effort to get a copy. Maybe you can find it on Airstream Life's web page, or just order a copy of the magazine with your subscription. I've subscribed since 05 and enjoy it a lot and learned a lot reading it.

I liked the opening paragraph where they mention how important the structure of the trailer is and how they ensured it was all addressed. Very important for a 50 year old Airstream in my view. If you are going to restore or renovate, start from the axles up.

It was clever how they removed the overhead lockers and replaced the storage with cabinets under the gaucho and beds. This certainly opens up the trailer. The bath design was not detailed, but it was very interesting how the company used two closet doors that open and meet in the center to create a very private bathroom door. I think this explains the smaller pedestal vanity I see in the photos, possibly for the swing of the doors. My trailer has a pocket door which ain't all bad.

The interior decorating is so light, warm and inviting. It is a very special Overlander indeed! Get inspired!

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

See my 1969 Globetrotter 21' Renovation Project:
In Knowledge Base

See my 1966 Trade Wind 24' Reno Project:
In Knowledge Base

See my 1975 Overlander 27' Improvement Journal:
In Knowledge Base

See our 1976 Sovereign 31' Renovation Project:
In Knowledge Base
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote