Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Can you ID these exterior "components" on my new '73 Overlander

Had my '73 Overlander just a month now and haven't seen her too much since she's still (temporarily) stored a bit south of me. Last weekend I went to visit to make final adjustments on the WD hitch and give her another look over. I found a couple things that I could not ID - even after looking through the manual. Maybe someone here can help?

Mystery Component #1
: from fwd end, streetside. transducer? transistor? the wire from the piece is shielded (though degraded) that comes from inside the (painted grey) rubber tube from cut hole in the skin

Mystery Component #2: from aft end, streetside. The wired object has two *lights* that face fwd and a coated cable from the rear that goes through the skin. The (2) screws are securing a torn piece of white fabric/canvas.

Mystery Component #3, from aft end, street side. The PO didn't know what this was for either... we initially thought it was the inlet hookup for shore water (lingo might be a bit off). But found that closer to the rear bumper. It has a knurled knob that moves freely and the plastic cap screws off.

Thanks for any light you can shed on these pieces! Ohhhh, almost forgot, thought I was so lucky after the 27" of rain from Tropical Storm Fay, finding only one tiny bit of water inside (on top of the bedroom countertop)....... then I saw this:

Only a couple inches of water in the window. DOH What are those white plugs floating around? Seals? Know what I might do to clear this up?
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Mystery #1: Sensor for outdoor temperature with indoor reading?

Mystery #2 & 3: NO IDEA!

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
#2 almost looks like the fiberoptics that one can see from the tow vehicle rear view mirror. But they're pretty far back -- normally more forward on the roadside. The fiberoptics go back to each taillight and let you know when you have a taillight out -- usually only visible at night?

Hook up to the umbilical after dark and turn on the taillights?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Could #3 be a fill for the hot water tank?

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Yes, #2 is the fibreoptics display for viewing from the side mirror. It's in the same place as my '72. Yours is missing its cover. I believe you can get a replacement from Inland RV. #3 is a mystery. I don't think it's stock.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Could #3 be a fill for the hot water tank?
Only if it's been retrofitted with such. They fill from the main water line coming into the trailer.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
what's on the inside of #3?

can you see where it goes?

as for the window, where did the fish go?
it's a common problem with posts about a few resolutions.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
#2 is probably the light to let you know when the window is full. #3 might be how you empty it. #1 could possibly be the temperature probe so you'll know to empty the window before it freezes.

Sorry
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton View Post
#2 is probably the light to let you know when the window is full. #3 might be how you empty it. #1 could possibly be the temperature probe so you'll know to empty the window before it freezes.

Sorry
Oh good - you confirmed my thoughts except, being in FL, I thought #1 would alert me to it's boiling, so that I could put the lobster in the window water to cook.

I'll do as Richinny suggests and see if I can tell where (any of) the components go.... next visit!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Mystery item #3 is a city water inlet. If there is not one down low on the left frame just in front of the bumper, the PO most likely moved it. I am moving mine to a similar location.

Mystery item #1 is the temperature sensor for the thermometer. Mine is mounted further under than that.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Oh good - you confirmed my thoughts except, being in FL, I thought #1 would alert me to it's boiling, so that I could put the lobster in the window water to cook.

I'll do as Richinny suggests and see if I can tell where (any of) the components go.... next visit!
# 1 is a remote tenperature sensor, that Airstream used years ago. That item has not been available for years.

# 2 . Is a tail light monitor. We have the covers.

# 3. Is a leaky double pane wing window. The white things keep the two panes apart. Skip those.

The window can be drained, if two holes are very carefully drilled into the metal window sash. If you miss, you spent almost $350.00 in a flash. If you were here, those 2 holes can be drill in about 30 seconds. Use a 1/8 inch or #30 drill bit.

The key is know where to drill them.

The drill must be held at about a 60 degree angle, upwards, so that the drill bit comes out between the two panes. One hole near each side of the bottom works. After the holes are drill, insert a stiff wire up thru the holes, and pierce the gray insulation.

When the insulation is pierced on both sides, the water will start to drain.

Don't be in a hurray. Let the water take it's time.

Finally, leave the window alone. DO NOT attempt to seal the drilled holes. Let them stay open, as it will not hurt a thing, but will allow any additional water to drain.

Good luck, or should I maybe say, good skill.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Andy

How about a sectional drawing of the window and an indication of where to drill.

He needs to know how far down into the frame the glass goes so he can approximate his starting point.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Mystery item #3 is a city water inlet. If there is not one down low on the left frame just in front of the bumper, the PO most likely moved it. I am moving mine to a similar location.

Mystery item #1 is the temperature sensor for the thermometer. Mine is mounted further under than that.

Aaron
There is one on the left frame by the bumper. And the PO told me to use that one (by the bumper) .... the PO didn't know what Mystery #3 was... he assumed the PPO must have put it in???

Thanks for the detail's Andy. I/she is somewhat handy with a drill. Finally--- something that I should be able to do!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Sorry about the # 3, which is not a window.

# 3 has been a mystery to many people.

It's nothing more than a "lens" if you wish, that has a polarity light behind it.

If you see it glow, the city power polarity is reversed, meaning don't touch the ground and the shell, at the same time, because if you do, you will get an electrical shock.

When you do not see a reddish glow, assuming that the trailer is plugged into city power, then a reverse polarity condition does not exist.

I don't have any cut aways of wing windows.

Andy
Noooooo, I found the polarity light. This is threaded and definately resembles where a hose (or like) should be secured. What's a wing window?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
On the positive side...If you leave it like it is, you'll never be out of water!
Quote:
Ohhhh, almost forgot, thought I was so lucky after the 27" of rain from Tropical Storm Fay, finding only one tiny bit of water inside (on top of the bedroom countertop)....... then I saw this:

Only a couple inches of water in the window. DOH What are those white plugs floating around? Seals? Know what I might do to clear this up?
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The white plugs are the plastic pieces that keep the glass panes separate. If you don't want to risk breaking the glass, you can always get a couple of static cling goldfish for the window...
Old 09-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
#3 Outdoor shower?

Do you have a rear bath? seems to be opposite of the shower. Maybe outdoor shower hookup?
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray5 View Post
Do you have a rear bath? seems to be opposite of the shower. Maybe outdoor shower hookup?

Boy, that would be Sweet! It's actually on wall where the toilet resides though.... suppose that could turn out to be a real crappy shower
Old 09-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have one just like it and it is a water inlet on mine. The original is gone.Yours could be for a tank flush system or maybe to fill the fresh water tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1771.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	66833  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #20
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Boy, that would be Sweet! It's actually on wall where the toilet resides though.... suppose that could turn out to be a real crappy shower
Yuk! Yuk!, ahh, no, Yuk! Can you see the pipes on the inside of the camper? It looks like it should be just above and forward of the terlet.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote