Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Smile Battery type to purchase, 1970 LY Overlander

Hello fellow rvers,
We're needing to buy the correct type (12V) battery for our 1970 LY Overlander and the best retailer (WALMART, CAMPING WORLD, etc.) to get it from. We'll be taking in to a masterful vintage shop we know and want to have him install in the rear, upper compartment. It came with a metal battery holder, measured
16"L x 4"H x 8 3/8"D with a 6 1/2" opening for the battery to fit in. Sounds like strange size for a battery holder. IF this is not a typical holder what can be suggested since battery apparently needs to be stabilized. As always, we appreciate all the experienced and knowledgeable rvers/techs.

Thank you in advance.

Angela & Ray
rverforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
You do not want a battery in any "upper" compartment for several reasons.

They're heavy, for one, and keeping the center of gravity low is good. Also, if you mount the battery up high somewhere, you have to have a place for the battery that will support a heavy battery and high live loads from traveling over the road. The original battery boxes are generally supported by the subfloor or the tongue of the trailer (depending on the model and year.)

Another reason to keep the battery as low as possible is that liquid flows downhill for the most part, so the lower the battery is mounted, the less there is for corrosive electrolyte to contact in the event of a mishap.

Are you describing the "drop down" battery door that fits into the lower curve of the trailer back near the bathroom? I know some '70s Overlanders have those (I've seen one, but don't remember what year the trailer was.)

As far as the vendor for the battery, I've done OK with O'Reilly's house brand of Group24 battery in my Argosy. I've heard good things about Costco's Group24 and Group27 batteries, but I have no experience with them. There are WAY more battery brands than there are battery factories, so the trick is to find out who made the battery rather than what brand is on it.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
David,

Thank you for your response. The bumper has a place for the electrical cord and the clean out for the black water. Above that is a compartment that houses the battery. Yes it is below the bathroom window, where the valves for the water are etc. This is the original spot. Are you saying we should not store it there?
rverforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Is this similar to the location of your battery? Notice the drop down door near the rear on the curb side of the trailer (this is a 72 Trade Wind)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1629 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	217050  
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by rver4life View Post
David,

Thank you for your response. The bumper has a place for the electrical cord and the clean out for the black water. Above that is a compartment that houses the battery. Yes it is below the bathroom window, where the valves for the water are etc. This is the original spot. Are you saying we should not store it there?
That original spot is fine for the battery. Your post sounded like you were going to move it up high in the trailer, that is what David was concerned about.

Get the dimensions of a group #27 or #29 battery and see if you can locate it there in the rear compartment. It would probably be a good idea to put it into a plastic battery box made for the size battery you choose. Then vent it to the outside, as the original battery was done.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote