Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
'70 Overlander land yacht

Does anyone know why there is a gas line next to the toilet?

Or what may have been under the kitchen sink?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	127973   Click image for larger version

Name:	045.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	127974  

Name:	Red knobs under kitchen sink.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	127975  
rverforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
hello and...

welcome to the forums. I have no idea about the gas line in toilet, but under the sink would be the furnace and or the water heater maybe? MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
I'm hoping it was the furnace and not the water heater...plz, plz, plz be the furnace. I can always us a small space heater, but not handy so I'd have to pay someone to get hot water!! Thank you for your reply and I'm so glad to be a part of this forum!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
The red knobs are likely for draining your lines (i.e. winterizing) -- ours is a year later and we have the same two (one for hot and one for cold, you open them up when blowing out your lines). If you reach a little further down, there should be another one to drain your fresh water tank as well.

The second picture appears to be your furnace, or what is left of it anyway -- I'm assuming this is under the galley as well?

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The second picture is definitely where the furnace was located. The marking on the holes in the skin are exactly what a furnace would make. It should be located in the kitchen area.

The water heater on a 70 Overlander was located in the bath area on the streetside. You should have an outside door with a vented area covering the water heater.

I suspect that the gas line that is in the bathroom was for a catalytic heater that was used to warm the area.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Wow you guys are GREAT! Thank you so very much. I need to order the manuals and service manual. I guess the removal of the furnace is ok, because I think that the Duo Therm that looks like an air conditioner is also a heater? I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

So where are the water tanks?

Have you guys seen a painted 70's Overlander Land Yacht? Is this factory?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	70 Overlander Land Yacht.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	127985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Overlander Land Yacht 1970.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	127986  

Name:	Refridgerator cabinet.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	127987  
Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Refrigerator cabinet

I found the dip stick in this cabinet above the refrigerator. Is this to put in some sort of additive to the refrigerator?

Also there are speakers in the wall, what do they hook up to?

I need 11 door locks and 7 window handles and one window lock, where is oh and I don't want the tandoor cabinet covers, what other options do I have?

I have so many questions, thanks so much for your help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Refridgerator cabinet.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	127990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	127991  

Name:	072.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	127992   Click image for larger version

Name:	078.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	127993  

Old 04-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
I need 11 of the cabinet latches and only two window latches, but I need 7 of the window handles that you hold onto to open the window. Where is the best place to get these? I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wardrobe broken latches.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	127994   Click image for larger version

Name:	078.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	127995  

Name:	067.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	127996  
Old 04-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
x

XXXX , XXXX
I found the dip stick in this cabinet above the refrigerator. Is this to put in some sort of additive to the refrigerator?

Can you post a picture of this "dipstick".
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rverforlife View Post
Is this factory?
The floodlights on the forward roof are an interesting after-market addition.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
rverforlife,

If you camera has the ability to shoot in what's called "macro mode", you will will get much better close-ups if you use that feature for them.

If there is a button on your camera with a little flower on it, that's probably the one to try.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rverforlife View Post
So where are the water tanks? Have you guys seen a painted 70's Overlander Land Yacht? Is this factory?
The fresh water tank is under the floor just forward of the axles. The black tank is under the bathroom floor. The toilet drops straight down into it. Your Airstream does not have a gray tank, unless one was retrofitted.

No, the white paint is NOT factory. Airstream did produce white Airstreams called Argosy's starting in 1972 but they were entirely white.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #14
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
1970 Was a Good Year

Welcome, and nice trailer. I might be a little partial to the ’70 myself.

Most all of your questions have already been answered. But a couple of observations:

-The new window handle reproductions are plastic, if I am not mistaken.

-The wiring for the original 8-track player to run your speakers is in the lift-up cabinet in the very front (in between the speakers).

-The furnace absolutely occupied the space under your galley (as previously mentioned). Assuming you’re A/C unit has a heat strip, yes it can keep you warm under 1 condition: that you have AC power. So no boondocking in the cold.

-Your fridge doesn’t have a dipstick. The ammonia absorbsion cooling unit is completely sealed. Perhaps what you found is the original flint igniter, or something for roasting marshmallows?

-There are plenty of replacement options for the tambor, most of which are expensive if you want similar material (accordion-style). Search the forum for ideas on what others have done. Simple removal is an option, depending upon what you plan on storing up there.

-I might have a pair of window locks. I will look around.

Attached is a picture of what things look like under your galley. Your fresh water tank ends (from side-to-side) in the bottom of the cutout that you see through the floor. Also, if you look under the trailer, it is very obvious exactly where the tank sits.

Name:	undergalley.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	875.3 KB
ID:	128105

Keep the questions coming. There are at least a couple of people with the same trailer who have been around the block.

Best,
Dumpster

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Hi Dumpster,

I am so appreciative for all of you. Thank you so very much for all the replys, I've seen 146 people have reviewed this site, so I know more people are benefiting from my questions.

I will take a picture of the dip stick so that all can see what it is I am talking about.

The flood lights are ugly I know, it's been pointed out several times, if I take those down there will some uglyer holes right? The cabinet in the front of the coach looks new (where the 8 track was). I see some wires hanging out were the cable inlet is and the 12 Volt plug in. Perhaps those wires hook up to a stereo system? I'll take pics of that too.

Two windows in the front the middle one and a one of the side ones are plexi and the middle one is not really attached, it's rained now 3 times, but clear skies are here again for a week so I'll try to order and replace those very soon.

Okay so how can I tell if I need a new axle (or axles). As you might have noticed I am so very unfamiliar, but I am taking this as my new hobby to learn all about the airstream and even will learn how to make some of my own repairs (if possible). I am a petite woman and physical strength is not one of my assets, neither is knowledge of drills, saws, hammers, etc. but I'm broke and want to learn how to do things myself for a change. Phew...don't know where that came from except I am so happy to learn!!!

So thank you (especially for the pic of under the galley!!!) and all others for sharing your wisdom.

Let me kinow about the window locks, I'd love to buy them from you!

Oh, yes I will learn also how to use my camera better.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Audio video shelf

Here is a shelf I guess for TV or whatever, since the cable outlet is here and a 12 plug and some other wires hanging out.

What is the best way to look at the black water tank? Remove the underbelly or the toilet?

Thanks again. Oh and there is an antenna on the roof, are antenna's used anymore?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	053.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	128111  
Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 AM   #17
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Assuming nothing has been changed, the two wires hanging out above the credenza are connected to that antenna on your roof. Rumor has it that antenna will pick up HD just fine. FWIW-I have two pieces of speaker wire in my attic picking up HD just fine, so I don't know why that antenna wouldn't. If your Overlander is a double (non twin beds in the rear), there should be another TV station with 12V DC and antenna leads in back above the counter.

There is no easy way to inspect the black tank in its entirety. Pulling the toilet will only expose the closet flange. Dropping the belly pan will only reveal the galvanized steel box that the blank tank sits in. To fully inspect you would need to pull the toilet and then unscrew the closet flange. Next, you need to try and disconnect the vent pipe (probably have to be cut). It can be seen through the rear compartment coming up through the floor in about the middle of the trunk area. Next you do need to drop the belly pan. After that, you need to drop the whole mess (tank and galvanized pan it sits in) by removing the two angle iron supports that run port to starboard. But beware! Nosing around in the back of an Airstream can lead to very disappointing discoveries!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f305...k-54909-9.html

In lieu of doing all of that, I would just fill it up to see if it leaks. Please keep in mind that if it does leak, you could be dealing with a real foul mess. Lord only knows how good the PO was about properly cleaning it after each use. Finding a fairly deserted RV dump station might be the best place to conduct this test. At the very least, I would take it to the dump station, hook up the stinky slinky, and rinse it as best you can. That same vent tube in the rear compartment that you need to disconnect to get the black tank out should have a cleanout in it. Simply unscrew the cap and snake a hose down there a little way and crank the pressure. At least this way you will have a semi chunk-free tank to test for leaks. Here is a picture of the vent pipe and cleanout. I leave a hose connected to mine (with a check valve) to make my dump station visits as short and pleasant at possible.

Cheers.

Name:	cleanout.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	128176

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #18
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
Assuming nothing has been changed, the two wires hanging out above the credenza are connected to that antenna on your roof. Rumor has it that antenna will pick up HD just fine.
The original antenna does work well with HD, as we use it for ours, although we have removed the credenza that you still have, we still use the existing antenna, and just routed it to the back.

Where the credenza used to be (with an "updated plug")...the coax actually runs through the conduit to the floor:

It then goes behind the upper cabinet to the back bedroom:

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Thank you for the visual, it really helps a lot. So the two wires hanging out get attached to the back of the tv? Will it say Antenna?

You routed the Coax and the Antenna wires to the back of your coach, is that why there is a splitter, because one is the Anntenna wire and one is the Coax cable? I've never attempted to do anything like this, but I'm willing to try!!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
replaced my tambour by removing it and nailing/glueing it to 1/2" plywood and installed it with hinges. Retained the original appearance and works well.
howco is offline   Reply With Quote