Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #1

1972 27' Overlander
Pleasant Grove , UT
1972 27' Overlander Overhaul

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is safe and well during these times!

I've been following these forums for about 18 months - about the amount of time that I've had my Airstream Overlander 27'. I purchased it and wanted to dive into right away, but got distracted by other house renovation projects. I'm finally starting to build a plan to tackle on the weekends in the coming months and wanted to kick off a thread to track my progress. Pre-work pictures are below.

A bit of background:I purchased the Overlander stripped down, but have all of the parts for templates as we (my husband and I) rebuild. The previous owner (or owner before that) also put new axles on and at the time said there was no rear end separation or if there was, it has been fixed. If you look at the pictures, you can see there is new wood in the back. We've also tried to check by doing the bumper test and looking at it, but have limited visibility without taking the bottom apart. The interior also hasn't been stripped down past the panels.

Initial plan:
- Do a final check for rear-end separation, at the back and also closer to the axles... even if it means lifting it and getting under it.
- Take down/preserve the panels (for cleaning and repainting) and re-do insulation and wiring for a solar set up. It feels like now is the time to do this if there ever was a time.

Does anyone have any advice for a first-timer and any "wish I would've known..." tips you could share?

Thank you,
Becky

btasked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I'd suggest dropping any access panels/tanks in the belly pan and get an idea if there are any frame issues to deal with. If part of the sub-floor has been replaced you want to make sure any frame issues were dealt with then. If only for your own piece of mind.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote