Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 06:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Syracuse , New York
1970 O'lander Body Repair Questions...

All,

I am gutting my 1970 Overlander, and as I gut the trailer you get subtle indicators of its previous life. I have two spots I would like to get opinions on.

1. Something evidently fell on the roof hard enough that it dented the skin and the rib. You would only notice it if had a birds eye view of the trailer. I wanted to get folks opinion on the need to repair the rib or let it be…
2. The passenger front was evidently smacked up at some point. From the inside you can see the skin is dented in, however from the outside you can’t. After going in and out of the trailer a few times and questioning what I was seeing, I realized they PO skinned over the dented panel with a new one. The repair looks it was professionally done. Should I remove the dented skin and fix the rib or let it be?
3. I am not sure why yet, but the lower panel on the drivers side was trimmed up far enough to expose the riggers and then patched over. The job was done very well. I didn’t realize it until I was removing the rivets in preparation for the body lift. Thoughts on this?
4. Also the dent on the exterior rear…how much of that do you think I’ll be able to massage out?

Thanks
Nate
fullahotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Syracuse , New York
I am not sure why i can't attach the pics...but here is a link of the google pic gallery....Pics of the areas in question are at the bottom...

https://goo.gl/photos/fVFyChiKYiKgJYdK8
Old 06-06-2016, 07:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
If it was mine I would make a block that goes around the rib that is bent and using a jack and a 2x4 I would jack the bent rib up. I don't quite understand why that rib is displaced from the one on other side by a couple of inches, I would address that also. The Rib is soft so re-forming it shouldn't be a issue. I would also remove the panel that is doubled up, but that's just me so it is your call.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Syracuse , New York
Aerowood,

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. I also don't fully understand why that rib is not continuous from one side to the other. I'll look closer at it next time i am working on the trailer, but I didn't see any indication that suggest it wasn't "factory".

First Question:
Here is another question. On the ribs, there are two indentations about a foot apart from "12 o'clock position". I thought about running a beam(s) in those locations as it appears to be a bit stronger, although it appears everyone else runs a single beam right down the center. Curious as to your thoughts...

2nd Question:
When panels have been replaced, how do you know if it is replaced with the same type of metal as the 1970's vintage that you can highly polish. As I understand it, the older blend of aluminum polishes much easier than the newer ALCLAD? Are new panels made of the new material or the period correct material?

Thanks,
Nate
Old 06-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
1) Those "indentations' are where Airstream originally ran the wiring loom.
2) Tour trailer is skinned with 2024-T3 Alclad on all of the non compound curve skin. The End Caps are different and most likely 6061-T?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote