Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #161
4 Rivet Member

I caught a little break today from the SE Texas heat due to clouds. I was able to drill out and remove the front curb side panel. It was a bigger chore than I anticipated - hidden flush rivets and lots of Vulkem to cut out. But I got it out. I had to remove the curved window also but it needs to have its glass replaced anyway and I removed the curved rib in the middle of the panel. I will fabricate a new straight one to replace it per Kip's advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1548.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	65762

I cut a replacement sheet and trial fitted it but then it started to rain. So I quickly re-attached the old sheet and window with a few Clecos. I have it under a canopy so that should keep it dry. Maybe I will get a break tomorrow so I can get the panel replaced. Then I will have to do the other side.

Name:	IMG_1549.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	65763
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #162
4 Rivet Member

Yikes! Ike!

It was a very tight fit but we were able to put the "Silver Belly" inside my warehouse. We had to remove the A/C to clear the top. We put all the cabinets, interior skins and belly pan inside the trailer.

Name:	IMG_1563.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	67264

Everyone in southeast Texas be careful.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #163
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Take care and stay safe Vernon!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #164
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
What's your elevation at Crosby, and how far from the coast are you? By the way, you should be receiving a package from me today.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #165
4 Rivet Member

Thanks guys. We are about 45 ft. elevation but we are only 15-20 miles inland (north) from the Galveston Bay system. Winds in our area are only projected to be about 80 mph but an empty Airstream might get bounched around. However I was most concerned about flying debris. I have my house and business boarded up and I feel better with my Airstream indoors.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #166
4 Rivet Member

Just a quick update. I just got power back on at my hardware store. Still no power at home. We made it through the storm okay however with minimal damage (none to the Airstream!).
Old 09-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #167
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Great News Vernon! How's the area you're in? Did your neighbors come thru unscathed as well?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:56 AM   #168
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I'm glad to hear that you and family are safe and sound. Everything is replaceable except family and friends.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #169
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Great News Vernon! How's the area you're in? Did your neighbors come thru unscathed as well?

Jim
Our subdivision looks like a war zone. There are probably around 1000 trees down in my subdivision alone. Many houses with giant old oak trees across them. The streets are almost impassible because of the debris piled up on the sides. However I only lost one tree and it missed everything. I lost a lot of my roofing and got some water in my house but we were able to catch most of it and mop up the rest. My daughter is getting married in November and during the storm we had to move her wedding dress several times to avoid the leaks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Everything is replaceable except family and friends.
Kip,

You got that right! I did not lose anyone to the storm but I am sad to say that in the middle of all this caos my mother passed away Sunday morning. She was 90 years old and had a good life and her death was a blessing as she was suffering but the timing was not good. We have had to deal with that. The biggest problem is that none of the funeral homes have any power for refrigeration and the cemetery has so many trees down that we cannot have her services until this Friday.

P. S. Kip, I received my package from you but haven't had a chance to look at it. I will PM you so I can settle up and send yours when I get back to work on my Airstream.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #170
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord View Post
Our subdivision looks like a war zone. There are probably around 1000 trees down in my subdivision alone. Many houses with giant old oak trees across them. The streets are almost impassible because of the debris piled up on the sides. However I only lost one tree and it missed everything. I lost a lot of my roofing and got some water in my house but we were able to catch most of it and mop up the rest. My daughter is getting married in November and during the storm we had to move her wedding dress several times to avoid the leaks!

Kip,

You got that right! I did not lose anyone to the storm but I am sad to say that in the middle of all this caos my mother passed away Sunday morning. She was 90 years old and had a good life and her death was a blessing as she was suffering but the timing was not good. We have had to deal with that. The biggest problem is that none of the funeral homes have any power for refrigeration and the cemetery has so many trees down that we cannot have her services until this Friday.

P. S. Kip, I received my package from you but haven't had a chance to look at it. I will PM you so I can settle up and send yours when I get back to work on my Airstream.
Vernon, my condolences on your loss and my prayers for you and your family. I'm glad to hear you came out of it all relatively unscathed. Thanks for the update, I've been tracking down all of my Galveston/Houston friends over the past few days, so far all is well.

-Marcus
Old 12-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #171
4 Rivet Member

This is not supposed to happen in SE Texas!

First we had Hurricane Ike. Now this! The Great Blizzard of 2008! We had about 3" of the stuff last night. With these global warming effects I may have to rethink my insulation.

Name:	IMG_1641.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	72511
Old 12-11-2008, 07:03 AM   #172
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
VERNON!

I've been looking for status on your progress. Hope all is going well.

We didn't get nearly as much as you did-- 0.2 inches, and it only stuck on raised surfaces like outdoor decks, staircases, car roofs and hoods, and of course... Airstreams!

February 2nd is around the corner my friend...
Old 12-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #173
4 Rivet Member

I am hoping to pick up my belly pan material tomorrow. I am planning to work that in between hunting trips.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:53 AM   #174
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yes, I'm dying to see the progress on your trailer!

Also, I received your PM about the belly pan, thanks for the heads up. The way I cut mine out, there is plenty of side material to rivet to, and I can still use the existing frame members for securing it as well.

Good luck with yours!

-Marcus
Old 01-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #175
4 Rivet Member

Update

Due to matters beyond my control (mainly rainy weather) I have made very little progress on my project. It now appears the I may have to go to the Texas Vintage Airstream Ralley as a spectator instead of a participant but either way I will be there.

Meanwhile, I have managed to pittle with some segments of the project.

1. I obtained material to replace my belly pan. I am using .040 3003-H14 that I was able to find locally ($60/sht 4' x 12'). I am waiting on the ground to dry before crawling underneath and tackle that.

2. I have replaced the weatherstripping on all but two of my windows and the door but I have them cleaned up and ready to install weatherstripping on them very soon.

3. I removed my tail light assemblies and have obtained LED replacements for them as well as all of my clearance lights.

I found a tail/brake light replacement that is almost a perfect fit. It comes as a pedestal light but I will be tossing that part.

Name:	Tail lights.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	73488

The only modification required was the cut out about a 1/2" section of the lip which was raised up for the old light socket. This took about 2 minutes with my Dremel tool. The screw holes lined up exactly.

Name:	Tail light can.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	73489

The back up light that I purchased was slightly larger than the opening in the housing. This required increasing the ID of the opening with a drum sanding attachment on my Dremel and I also decreased the OD of the light with the same tool. A little bit here and a little bit there. Since these lights do not fit the original can I guess that I will use Vulkem and some other adhesive to hold them in.

A friend cleaned up the housings with a his bead blaster. I still have a little bit of blue paint to get off but they cleaned up nicely. (I stole that idea from Kip )

Here is the near finished product.

Name:	Tail light assembly.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	73490

I got the reflectors off my shelf at my hardware store ($1.74/pr. retail).

Hopefully our weather will start to improve and I will have to have more to show in the near future. For now I will have to do what I can, when I can.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #176
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Those look real familiar. Wind is blowing hard today (gusts to 80) and it's been cold. Not much going on on the GT.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #177
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Wind is blowing hard today (gusts to 80) and it's been cold. Not much going on on the GT.
Our weather actually made a turn for the better today. Sunshine and 60 degrees. However, I am leaving to go to South Texas deer hunting in the morning and it is predicted to be raining by the time I return Sunday.

I am not sure if I have my priorities right but I'm going anyway.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #178
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
This trailer was originally supposed to be your hunt camp, right? I think ol' SilverBelly will forgive you...
Old 01-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #179
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
This trailer was originally supposed to be your hunt camp, right? I think ol' SilverBelly will forgive you...
I keep putting off my completion date but hopefully I will be hunting out of it by next season. Not finished you know but liveable.

I removed my front door so that I could work on it on a table. I cleaned it, installed the weatherstrip and rebuilt door lock assembly, and insulated it. Then I put it all back together and re-installed it.

Name:	Door 1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	74144Click image for larger version

Name:	Door 3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	74143Click image for larger version

Name:	Door 4.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	74145

Everything went well but with the new D style weatherstripping it was very difficult to get the door to latch. I had to put quite a bit of pressure to compress the weatherstrip to allow it to latch. Is this normal?

I ordered a 3X Rivet Gun which should be delivered Tuesday. After practicing with the air hammer that I had I was more than a little nervous about riveting on my AS. Maybe I will have more control with the rivet gun than I had with the hammer. Or I may have to change the name of my trailer to "The Smiley Faces" .
Old 01-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #180

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord View Post
...I ordered a 3X Rivet Gun which should be delivered Tuesday. After practicing with the air hammer that I had I was more than a little nervous about riveting on my AS. Maybe I will have more control with the rivet gun than I had with the hammer. Or I may have to change the name of my trailer to "The Smiley Faces" .
Make sure you get an airflow control valve. Even with the fine control that a true rivet gun gives you, you will want to be able to turn the air down quite a bit when you are setting soft rivets. The valve will screw into the 1/4" fitting on the gun.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote