Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

A/C Coils

I assume the PO put in the window A/C in because the roof air had pooped out. I purchased a new one to replace it but after taking out the lower unit of the roof air and looking at the coils it is no wonder that it quit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	63513

Don't you just love that pink insulation???
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #122
4 Rivet Member

Amateur's question

I removed the rest of my interior skin except for the two end caps which will be next. I discovered at least some of my leaks. I am assuming that these holes (<5/32") in the roof are where the previous A/C unit was screwed or riveted down. The PO had simply caulked most of them with silicone, although at least one (see arrow) doesn't show any signs of ever having any. The silicone on several of the others only cover part of the holes.

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	63555

Now the stupid question - I guess the best way to seal these would be to insert solid or Olympic rivets coated in Vulkem in each hole. Am I correct?
Old 07-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #123
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
I'd go with bucked rivets if at all possible. Somebody left you a real mess. I hate silicone. A real pain.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord View Post

Now the stupid question - I guess the best way to seal these would be to insert solid or Olympic rivets coated in Vulkem in each hole. Am I correct?
Not a stupid question, The best way to plug those noles is with MS20470A5-3 solid shank rivets. Shoot them in, and if it makes you feel better put a Hershey Kiss if sealent on the inside but it shouldn't leak shot in dry

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #125
4 Rivet Member

Follow up rivet question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
The best way to plug those noles is with MS20470A5-3 solid shank rivets. Shoot them in, and if it makes you feel better put a Hershey Kiss of sealent on the inside but it shouldn't leak - shot in dry

Kip
Thanks Jim and Kip,

I already have some MS20470A5-4 solid shank rivets. I realize I will only be going through one thickness of skin but is there any reason I couldn't use them?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Thanks Jim and Kip,

I already have some MS20470A5-4 solid shank rivets. I realize I will only be going through one thickness of skin but is there any reason I couldn't use them?
Just cut off a little shorter with a pair of dykes. They are real soft
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #127
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Just cut off a little shorter with a pair of dykes. They are real soft
I didn't think about that. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #128
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Rivet cutter

I bought one of these, I had to fill a minimum order and thought it might come in handy. It has. You can buy a pound of long rivets and cut them. It is much cheaper than buying them in smaller quantities. In fact I once bought a 1/4 pound of rivets from McMaster Carr and they were still in the Hanson Rivet bag and cost about the same as the pound did directly from Hanson.

http://www.usatco.com/ search for rivet cutter , part number 04-17
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #129
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
I bought one of these, I had to fill a minimum order and thought it might come in handy. It has. You can buy a pound of long rivets and cut them. It is much cheaper than buying them in smaller quantities. In fact I once bought a 1/4 pound of rivets from McMaster Carr and they were still in the Hanson Rivet bag and cost about the same as the pound did directly from Hanson.

http://www.usatco.com/ search for rivet cutter , part number 04-17
Thanks for the information. I only have about 30 to cut so I probably won't purchase one but you gave me an idea. I tried the machine screw cut-off holes in my electrical crimping pliers and the 10-32 holes fit the rivets nice and cut them pretty true.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #130
4 Rivet Member

Guess what this is -

Guess what this is?

Name:	IMG_1491.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	934.8 KB
ID:	63795

That is the last piece of that d&%$ pink stuff in my Airstream!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #131
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
It was indeed a nice feeling to get rid of the last of the pink stuff when I was working on my 1973. Have you decided what you are going to use for a replacement? I definitely favor the use of reflective foil insulation. Come to think of it I did see that you have decided to use reflective foil under your floor. If you have not already read about using it in your walls here is a place to start:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...cks-30196.html

I would also be happy to answer questions on the topic if I can.

Malcolm
Old 07-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #132
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium View Post
Have you decided what you are going to use for a replacement? I definitely favor the use of reflective foil insulation. Come to think of it I did see that you have decided to use reflective foil under your floor. If you have not already read about using it in your walls here is a place to start:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...cks-30196.html

I would also be happy to answer questions on the topic if I can.

Malcolm
That's exactly my plans. I have read yours and Jim's threads many times and tried to absorb Zeps Insulation effectiveness tests. I think that I will try the PL300 foamboard adhesive as I can buy that wholesale for about a buck and a half a tube. I am not sure which foam board that I will use for my strips. I ordered a box of 2'x4'x5/8" fiberglass ceiling panels (for drop in ceilings) that will be here tomorrow. The description states that it is fire resistant, flexible, and absorbs noise. If I decide not to use it I can return it or use it to replace some broken panels in my store.

I also found a inexpensive tool for cutting the insulation. It is a set of Black & Decker Power Scissors. They are rechargable and it really cuts right through the bubble foil insulation.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #133
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Quote:
I removed the rest of my interior skin except for the two end caps which will be next.
Hi, Vernon,

Are you going to put the end caps back in? Do you know if they are structurally necessary or cosmetic?

I am thinking about replace at least the aft one with aluminum panels, maybe the fore, also, but I can't decide, the enclosed shelf space is sort of an Airstream treasure. The aft one is ok, maybe a little boring.

OTOH, I've seen some impressive painting options that might improve the aft fiberglass. I've got to get under there and clean out the insulation.

Your work is looking great. You are making very good progress.

I'm moving a bit more slowly on my renovation project. I'll get some more pictures up on my blog soon to update the slow and unsteady progress. Right now, I'm getting ready for a week of camping in the semi-tent that my Trade Wind has been this summer. At least it's an air conditioned tent, and this time it will have hot and cold running water and a toilet. Baby steps.

Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #134
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne View Post
Hi, Vernon,

Are you going to put the end caps back in? Do you know if they are structurally necessary or cosmetic?

I am thinking about replace at least the aft one with aluminum panels, maybe the fore, also, but I can't decide, the enclosed shelf space is sort of an Airstream treasure. The aft one is ok, maybe a little boring.

OTOH, I've seen some impressive painting options that might improve the aft fiberglass. I've got to get under there and clean out the insulation.

Your work is looking great. You are making very good progress.

I'm moving a bit more slowly on my renovation project. I'll get some more pictures up on my blog soon to update the slow and unsteady progress. Right now, I'm getting ready for a week of camping in the semi-tent that my Trade Wind has been this summer. At least it's an air conditioned tent, and this time it will have hot and cold running water and a toilet. Baby steps.

Anne
Hi Anne, I know that Frank (Overlander62) replaced his interior endcap with aluminum segments. I'm not sure how much detail he went into, but a link to his blog is below, and I'm sure he'd answer your questions in a PM if you like:

Anna Lumanum

Also, I believe Zeppelenium has done this, or is doing this, as well.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #135
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
my fiberglass end cap is under the aluminum. The end cap is a structural element of the trailer. I do not recommend removing it and not putting it back in. Zepp is a full blown genius and he made a new one that was bucked together and serves the same purpose. The fiberglass is ugly, that is why the invented zoletone.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the clarification Frank-- didn't mean to mislead anyone.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #137
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne View Post
Hi, Vernon,

Are you going to put the end caps back in?

Anne
Yes I will put them back in. They are structurally sound - no cracks or breaks (so far). Plus they fit! I have already repaired the recessed shelf system that is part of them. It was kind of flimsy. I showed them to a body shop friend today and he said I would be fine to use a DA sander on the aft fiberglass cap with 220G sandpaper and prime it. Then I could paint it with a semi-gloss wall paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post

The fiberglass is ugly, that is why the invented zoletone.
It is definitely ugly! But sometimes "you gotta dance with dim what brung you." The front cap is not so bad as it does have a texture to it.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
That's exactly my plans. I have read yours and Jim's threads many times and tried to absorb Zeps Insulation effectiveness tests. I think that I will try the PL300 foamboard adhesive as I can buy that wholesale for about a buck and a half a tube. I am not sure which foam board that I will use for my strips. I ordered a box of 2'x4'x5/8" fiberglass ceiling panels (for drop in ceilings) that will be here tomorrow. The description states that it is fire resistant, flexible, and absorbs noise. If I decide not to use it I can return it or use it to replace some broken panels in my store.

I also found a inexpensive tool for cutting the insulation. It is a set of Black & Decker Power Scissors. They are rechargable and it really cuts right through the bubble foil insulation.
That could be an interesting choice for the strips. Please keep us posted on that one. The PL300 sounds like a great choice. The Insulfoam (eps foam I think) material I used for the strips was also available in 2'x4' sheets at Lowes which I found to be pretty handy. The first sheets that I bought were 4'x8'. I sliced mine into strips on my table saw and it was definitely easier to cut up the 2'x4' sheets. For the 4'x8' sheets I had to have help on the outfeed side but I could handle the 2'x4' sheets by myself. Power scissors would be great but the good news is that the foil cuts pretty easily with regular manual scissors too.

I think that if I could only pass on one tip about installing foil the one that probably is the most usefull is to mark your sheets for cutting by laying a sheet of foil over the part of the wall you are working on and pressing the foil up against the body ribs with your fingers. The foil takes a great mark by indentation. I wish that I had discovered that trick a lot sooner in my install. I was carefully measuring and cutting at first.

Malcolm
Old 07-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #139
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Some thoughts about end caps and paint...

On my 1973 31' International I pretty much came to the conclusion that the end caps actually both inside and outside have a somewhat limited structural value. I am not saying that they have none but my observation is based largely on the limited amount of body framing that is in those areas. My plastic end caps were not attached at all that many places either.

Relative to painting the end caps I used a shellac based primer (Zinser BIN) and then a couple of coats of a good quality interior satin gloss paint. For some reason it did not even occur to me to sand them down first. I read about that part later and thought that maybe I should have. On the other hand I have tried the finger nail scratch test here and there and find that the paint seems to be sticking pretty well. Time will tell I guess. I chose a soft grey color. I think that maybe a semi-gloss rather than the satin gloss might have been better but that is a matter of personal preference. If you really would like to have more texture on your end caps I would think that you could add some texture additive to your paint. I do not have a particular product in mind but I believe that you can get acrylic plaser type products that are intended for that purpose. There are textured paint rollers that you try too.

Malcolm
Old 07-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #140
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
I think that if I could only pass on one tip about installing foil the one that probably is the most usefull is to mark your sheets for cutting by laying a sheet of foil over the part of the wall you are working on and pressing the foil up against the body ribs with your fingers. The foil takes a great mark by indentation. I wish that I had discovered that trick a lot sooner in my install. I was carefully measuring and cutting at first.

Malcolm
That is a very good tip. I think that I had read that on your thread. Make sense. Thanks.

Quote:
On my 1973 31' International I pretty much came to the conclusion that the end caps actually both inside and outside have a somewhat limited structural value. I am not saying that they have none but my observation is based largely on the limited amount of body framing that is in those areas. My plastic end caps were not attached at all that many places either.

Malcolm
I was thinking about that yesterday. Mine was attached at the most rear bow and then only one rivet on each side at the next rib. It was also attached around the rear window but for the most part it was just hanging there.

Quote:
Relative to painting the end caps I used a shellac based primer (Zinser BIN) and then a couple of coats of a good quality interior satin gloss paint. For some reason it did not even occur to me to sand them down first. I read about that part later and thought that maybe I should have.

Malcolm
I plan on priming with the original Kilz which is also a replacement for pigmented shellacs. Zinser BIN is also an excellent product. You could probably toss a coin on that one. My end caps are pretty shiney so I think I should get a little better adhesion by scuffing it up a little.

Quote:
If you really would like to have more texture on your end caps I would think that you could add some texture additive to your paint.
Malcolm
That might be interesting. I had not thought about it. I sell a couple of those products that I might experiment with.

BTW - I haven't been told exactly what colors that I am going to use. I am sure she will let me know.