Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Hey Vernon, would these work for you? Not sure what your steps are supposed to look like, but I just saw this on the Forum Classifieds:

Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Classifieds - steps for sale need work - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Hope all is well, your work is looking great!

-Marcus
Thanks Marcus for the tip but I had already purchased one on Ebay. Not a great deal but well short of half of the new price and it is like new condition with all hardware and outriggers. I am going out to my friend's shop this evening to see if I can come up with materials to make the additional pieces that I need. Here are the before pictures. I will post the after when it gets done. Right now this is all I have left to do before installing the rest of my subfloor. Yeah!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	610.8 KB
ID:	62454

Name:	IMG_1446.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	533.0 KB
ID:	62455

Once I get the subfloor back in I can turn the A/C back on (the window unit the PO put in the front actually works!).
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

Update

I went to my friend's shop and found a piece of 8"x2" c-purlin. With my circular saw and jig saw I was able to cut out the two outriggers that I needed and used the left over for my threshold support. I think the solid outriggers will give the varments one less hole to crawl into.

Name:	IMG_1451.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	636.7 KB
ID:	62793

We tacked it all together and treated and POR-15 as much as I could except where we would be welding.

Name:	IMG_1452.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	668.7 KB
ID:	62794

My welder friend came over last evening and welded it in place. FYI - if you are welding in a step to the frame be sure to watch out for the wires which run through that part of the frame. I insulated mine from the welding with a piece of wood.

Name:	IMG_1453.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	846.2 KB
ID:	62795

The new step looks a lot better than the old one laying on the ground to the left!

Name:	IMG_1455.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	786.7 KB
ID:	62796

Now I can finish my subfloor. I am going this weekend on a little tubing vacation to the Guadalupe River. I sure wished my "Silver Belly" was further along so that I could take it. The pop-up will have to do for this year however.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Vernon, looks like you have the later model steps there. That's the model I am upgrading to which has the newer retainer bar across the front. Nice job on the outriggers fab but did you purchase the slotted outrigger with the stairs? Looks great!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

Thanks Todd,

I purchased the steps used on Ebay and they came with the slotted outriggers. Apparently whatever year model they came off of they only used one set of outriggers per side and no threshold support. At least there was no sign of either ever being welded on to it. My old steps had doubled outriggers on each side and I installed these the same way.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #85
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroot View Post
Don't know if you've seen it, but there is a series on DIY showing a 70s-ish Overlander restoration. It was very helpful to us and they re-air it quite a bit.
I agree, this series is really interesting, the guy does a pretty complete re-do of a "1970 Overlander International Land Yacht" as he describes it in one episode, although he never mentions the length. Looks like a 27' to me. It's a rear bath model.

The next airing is July 31, apparently.

He points out that it's the last year for wood cabinets, and shows some nice solutions for refinishing them and dealing with the old door hardware. He makes new tambour doors, covers walls and kitchen backsplash with aluminum which he glues and rivets.

Slickest décor trick is the aluminum countertop he glues in, then covers with glass that he etches the show logo into. Yep, he does all this stuff on the show.

Did a real nice red ebony boomerang laminate countertop that really worked with the yellow that he painted some of the walls.

Anyway, if you can't wait, it's on YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. if you do a search for "Airstream restoration". Each segement seem to have 4 sub-segment, and I'm not sure they're all there, but I gotta hand it to the TV personality, he does a good job, and fast.

Cheers,
Aage

ps: I have no affiliations to this show at all
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:48 AM   #86
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Vernon, I just spent the past hour getting caught up on the hunting shack. You are doing a fine job and you should be very proud of yourself. A couple of things I wanted to say...
A)Ace Hardware rocks, I do not feel anymore needs to be said on that cause if you do not understand why I say that you never will understand.
B) Folks in Texas are great.. $40 for straightening out the banana wraps....
C)Dan from ODM was hitting on an important aspect of the structure. As many know the structure is inherently weak as individual components, but together is is very strong. There was discussion of the fact that the cross-member and outrigger are lined up with a rib. Even more important is that little piece of angle iron next to the rib.

Name:	IMG_1392.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	62963
It ties the rib, skin, floor, belly pan, and frame all together. Make sure you get all that tied back together. At first I was very confused by this piece of rusty metal and I dismissed it as a home spun repair. It was not until I was putting things back together that I realized the importance of this connection point. I have not done the front half yet, but suspect that a similar thing exists at the forward ribs. The big plate up front also ties everything into one unit.
D) Have some BBQ for me. Marcus has only gone once and we just do not know how to fix it right up here in Maryland.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Oh no my friend, I've BBQ'd several times since Mother's Day, I just don't post it to the message board every time.

I might not do a brisket over the 4th, but I'll probably do some ribs and maybe some pork tenderloins. I'll post it next time I do.

Vernon's work rocks for sure. One day soon we're going to have a polish party in San Antonio with Todd.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #88
4 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words.

I am somewhere between Marcus and Todd tubing on the Guadalupe River. When I get home I will have more time to respond.

Meanwhile, here's wishing you were here -

Name:	IMG_1457.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	779.3 KB
ID:	63048
Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
I'll tell ya lately polishing hasn't been a party in this intense Texas summer heat. Vernon and Marcus have the right idea sticking close to water. I'm working sloooooowly either very early in the day or very late when the sun isn't so strong. So the polish party should probably happen when it's about 20 degrees cooler! Either way I say we bait Frank to join the polish party with some of Marcus' BBQ!

Hopefully axles are due in this week so I might be sliding a new frame back into place soon which will probably keep me busy until then. Meanwhile, Vernon, I'll be right where you are tubing on the Guadalupe in a couple weeks. Be sure and look for cool RV parks on the river while you're there!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Always a good time tubin' on the Guadalupe. How's the river level and flow rate? I was worried that the drought might be affecting the rivers.

Yup, it might be wise to wait until October or November for the Polish Party. These 100-degree days can be a little rough.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Always a good time tubin' on the Guadalupe. How's the river level and flow rate? I was worried that the drought might be affecting the river.
The flow is about 250 cft/sec. Not great but I have seen it worse. The Rainbow Trout Club has made a agreement with the River Authority to keep it at 250 cft minimum (except during drought conditions) so that the water stays cool enough for the trout to live as far down as the 3rd crossing.

Todd, we have been staying at River Road Campgrounds for the last 15-20 yrs. They have H2O and elect. No sewer at campsights but they do have a dump station. We like it because it is a good place to exit the river after a good long float.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Even more important is that little piece of angle iron next to the rib.
Attachment 62963
It ties the rib, skin, floor, belly pan, and frame all together. Make sure you get all that tied back together. At first I was very confused by this piece of rusty metal and I dismissed it as a home spun repair. It was not until I was putting things back together that I realized the importance of this connection point. I have not done the front half yet, but suspect that a similar thing exists at the forward ribs.
I noticed on at least one thread (I think it was Kip's) that these angle clips were installed. Mine did not have any originally and therefore there was no real connection between the ribs and the bottom channel. I purchased some aluminum angle and plan on installing them however. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Yes it was me that installed them. Mine originally did not have any.
Attached Images

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

Progress report

I celebrated the Fourth by putting the last coat of POR-15 on the front end of my frame. I had run out and had to order another quart from VTS. They sent me gray instead of the black I had been using but that actually made my second coating easier. Much easier to see where you hadn't been.

The belly pan sheet directly above the spare tire area was very corroded where it had been in contact with the frame.

Name:	IMG_1468.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	658.5 KB
ID:	63235

Fortunately it was longer than necessary so I was able to trim off 1-1/2" from that end and therefore slid it forward that far. It will leave some unused poprivet holes but I will plug them with rivets. I don't know if it will help future corrosion but I primed it as well.

Name:	IMG_1469.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	783.8 KB
ID:	63236

I decided to try something new with my insulation. I stapled it to the bottom of my front sheet with Monel SS staples prior to install it. It worked pretty good. I really did not have a choice as the above sheet would have prevented installation afterward.

Name:	IMG_1470.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	906.4 KB
ID:	63237

This afternoon I caught a break at my store and was able to sneak out and put the front most sheet in. (Hope that I don't get fired!) Four down and two to go!

Name:	IMG_1471.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	735.0 KB
ID:	63238

Hopefully if the weather holds out my wife and I will be able to put those last two sheets in tomorrow. We have had scattered showers for the last several days and there is no relief in sight.

On both of the remaining sheets I will need to split them and put a splice board in. I am a little concerned if there will be enough room between the subfloor and the freshwater tank to put a splice board. I'll have to do some measuring unless someone here has the answer. My bet would be that someone does.

More later.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

I need some advice.

I measured the thickness of my freshwater tank at 5-1/4" empty. I noticed when I filled in outside for testing that it tended to swell upward some from its empty thickness. With the 1" plywood that goes underneath it I only have 5-1/2" left over to the top of the frame so I do not think that I will be able to put the spice board in. I know it is not as strong but do you see any reason that I could not splice that one piece of subfloor on top of the frame? I will fasten it down with the self-drilling floor repair screws that I purchased from VTS.

I really do not have a choice. BTW, this splice would end up just in front of the wheel wells and either being under the gally cabinet or under the reefer. I am not sure which would be better.

I am open to any and everyone's opinions.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #96
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Why do you have to splice it? I just slowly and gently popped mine in. The shell can slide and move to make it easier. I found many putty knives between the "J" channel and the plywood helped guide it in. Sorry I do not have better pictures, but in these you see I got one corner set

Name:	IMG_1361.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	63263
then used a hammer to tap it into place.

Name:	IMG_1360.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	63262

Name:	IMG_1362.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	63264
It literally went pop when it dropped in to place.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:51 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member

I have been trying to keep the shell straight using braces and temporary blocks with bolts at the outriggers. Did you have any trouble getting your shell back straight?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:09 AM   #98
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
It just went pop. There was a large dent on the rear curb side corner and most of it actually popped out too when the shell was back in its proper location. I had the entire rear wagging like a dog tail as a joke to a visitor... Don't be afraid to move it around if you need, that is part of the design factor.

For what it's worth you are doing a great job...
Old 07-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

All my subfloor is in!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Why do you have to splice it? I just slowly and gently popped mine in. The shell can slide and move to make it easier. I found many putty knives between the "J" channel and the plywood helped guide it in.
You were absolutely correct! Thanks so much. I am so glad I did not have to splice those sheets. I still have to bolt them in but it is in and I can use my window A/C again! Work will be a little cooler now in the southeast Texas heat

Name:	IMG_1477.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	566.1 KB
ID:	63274
Old 07-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
That is looking so good, Vernon. You're really moving quickly now. I foresee much hunting in your near future!

Take care in the heat, so far July has been cooler than June, but it's still pretty vicious out there.

-Marcus