Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

Thanks Folks,

I first got out my circular saw and drew out my lines to cut out an area to get my sawsall in (like Kip suggested) but the rivets are so close to the front hold down plate I wasn't sure the blade had enough room to make its stroke. I then decided to try a procedure that I am not sure will work or not. I will let you know tomorrow. Since I am from the oilfield area I stole an idea from them and slant drilled. Since the front hold down plate is there to protect the outer skin I decided to slant drill a hole on each side of each rivet to sort of cut the plywood so to speak on each side. Still didn't budge! Then I discovered that the old Airstream prankster had located two elevator bolts below the c-channel and that did piss me off. About that time my lawn mower guy at my store showed up and I had to roll up my extension cords. I will get back on it tomorrow. Hopefully I can drill a hole (maybe 1-1/2") next to the c-channel so I can get my Dremel cut off wheel in there to cut the bolts off. Man, it is always something!
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Good luck with that Vernon. Sounds like some real tricky trouble. Keep us posted on how you resolve it.

If it's any consolation to you and Kip AS must have fired, and bled, that guy after 70-71 since my '75 had all the fasteners on top of the floor channel.

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
Good luck with that Vernon. Sounds like some real tricky trouble. Keep us posted on how you resolve it.

If it's any consolation to you and Kip AS must have fired, and bled, that guy after 70-71 since my '75 had all the fasteners on top of the floor channel.
Wow, who knew Todd was so evil when he seems so nice?

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Kip must have got to him. He was long gone when they were putting my airstream together!

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord
Thanks Folks,

I first got out my circular saw and drew out my lines to cut out an area to get my sawsall in (like Kip suggested) but the rivets are so close to the front hold down plate I wasn't sure the blade had enough room to make its stroke. !
I measured the blade from the front steel vertical and back to the Saws All blade shoe and made my first side to side cut in the plywood so that the Saws All blade would miss the plate
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
I measured the blade from the front steel vertical and back to the Saws All blade shoe and made my first side to side cut in the plywood so that the Saws All blade would miss the plate
That's the reason that you get paid the big bucks.

I'll do that if this doesn't work.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:04 AM   #67
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
I was thinking Dremel also. I had to use mine to cut off a bunch of the elevator bolts. One thing I found with the Dremel working in tight spaces is that the cut off wheels shatter very easily.

Good luck.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

I finally got it out!

Why didn't you guys tell me I was saving the worst for last? In addition to the steel drive rivets in the front c-channel there ended up being five (5) additional elevator bolts underneath the front channel plus the two that I had already found under the curved side c-channels! Seven hidden elevator bolts total. I ended up using a wood chisel to gain access to them.

Then the floor still would not budge! I then found that last sheet metal screw that we had overlooked. There is always one somewhere. Anyway I got it out. I slide it a little aft with the help of a ratchet strap then sawed it down the middle for easier removal. Now I will clean it up and see if there are any more surprises in store for me.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Great work, I can only imagine how hot it must be working out there today, as I sit in my air-conditioned office overlooking the Texas Hill Country...

Got any pictures?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

BTW - here is how I got the first two out. The other five were removed the same way except I cut the hole with a wood chisel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1426.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	535.9 KB
ID:	61396

Name:	IMG_1427.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	597.0 KB
ID:	61397

It did take me a half a day to get that one last sheet out. I still do not understand why they didn't run these bolts through the c-channel. That's what I am going to do.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #71
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Quote:
...... I still do not understand why they didn't run these bolts through the c-channel. That's what I am going to do.
That is a good question. That's the way they are on my '73 (thru the channel).

Great work.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 05-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

Okay, what's the trick here?

Is there a trick to getting this bottom wrap under piece out? All the rivets are removed from the rub rail line. Does this piece extend all the way up to the rows of rivets on the hold down plate? I would like to remove this piece to treat that portion of the frame but if I have to remove all those rivets it may not happen.

Name:	IMG_1428.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	1,013.0 KB
ID:	61460

I know everyone has seen their share of bare frames but they look so good once you get them cleaned up. I still have to replace my steps (welding) before coating the rest of the frame.

Name:	IMG_1429.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	650.3 KB
ID:	61461

My one week to finish my subfloor is turning into 2-3 weeks hopefully.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #73
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Quote:
......Does this piece extend all the way up to the rows of rivets on the hold down plate? ......
Yes, that's where it goes. Between the outer shell and the steel piece. Those bucked rivets directly above it go thru all 3 pieces of metal.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 05-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #74
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
this looks like it would be just the thing for dealing w/ those "blind elevator bolts".
https://www.4multimaster.com/vcc/fei...master/190651/

very spendy, though.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Is there a trick to getting this bottom wrap under piece out? All the rivets are removed from the rub rail line. Does this piece extend all the way up to the rows of rivets on the hold down plate? I would like to remove this piece to treat that portion of the frame but if I have to remove all those rivets it may not happen.
Vernon, don't worry those rivets drill out really fast: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...vet-41526.html!

Quote:
I know everyone has seen their share of bare frames but they look so good once you get them cleaned up. I still have to replace my steps (welding) before coating the rest of the frame.
Looks absolutely great. Thanks for the photos! I know how much work you've put into getting there!

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 06-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque View Post
Vernon, don't worry those rivets drill out really fast: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...t-41526.html!!
I bought one of those rivet remover tools. Works great. I probably will work on that front piece after I get the subfloor re-installed. Right now that front "hold down plate" is actually a "hold up'r".

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque View Post
Looks absolutely great. Thanks for the photos! I know how much work you've put into getting there!
Thanks for the kind words.

Speaking of subfloors I got the last three of mine cut out and edge treated. The two center pieces will be cut in half as soon as I decide where I want to make the splices. I am hoping to install the front curved piece without cutting it just like I did on the other end. It is only about 3 ft. wide so it should be easier. As soon as I can get my front steps replaced I can finish that portion of my rebuild.

Name:	IMG_1438.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	511.0 KB
ID:	61953
Old 06-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Vernon, what did you treat the edges with?

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 06-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

Minwax® High Performance Wood Hardener
Old 06-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Man you are really knocking it out. That project is coming along nicely.

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey Vernon, would these work for you? Not sure what your steps are supposed to look like, but I just saw this on the Forum Classifieds:

Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Classifieds - steps for sale need work - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Hope all is well, your work is looking great!

-Marcus