Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1965-1969 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bakersfield , California
Plumbing and water tank replacement

Good morning friends. I am renovating a 1969 Land Yacht Sovereign, rear bath 31 foot. I removed the subfloor and now I can see the entire chassis. I also removed black tank as well. I have googled how to hook up the fresh water tank for this year but I have found zero information. The water fill is in the front on the roadside. From here, how do I hook up freshwater tanks and what do I need to accomplish this? I do see a metal tank of some sort covered in foam that is located in the middle of the trailer that then connects to several metal boxes that finally meets up with the black water tank. I have looked for pictures but to no avail--frustrated. Does anyone have pictures of how to hook up a freshwater tank at the end of the trailer, and what I need to do this? Is it by hose and does the spigot from the fill water go right into the tank, which means that this years model had a freshwater tank that sat on the floor? I am confused, doing this without much help. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help
RNgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The fresh water tank outlet should be connected via a flexible hose to the inlet of the water pump.
The discharge of the water pump should connect to the cold water piping which runs throughout the coach. The cold water piping connects to the water heater (by your description the foam covered metal box), the bath sink and shower and toilet. It also connects to the galley sink. The fresh water fill is accomplished by using the fill pipe at the front. Much like you would put fuel in your TV. The city water connection ties into the cold water piping at a convenient point. The hot water piping connects to the water heater, the galley and bath sinks as well as the shower.
You DO NOT fill the fresh water tank using the city water connection.
Not sure what these metal boxes you describe are.
I will try to post a drawing later.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Plumbing Drawing (fresh water)

I can't post a photobucket sketch here. Send me your email address and I will send you the sketch.

dougbowman88@hotmail.com
Old 04-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Turbotville , Pennsylvania
I have a 1969 Overlander and the official handy-dandy 1969 Airstream Owners Manual (which covers all models). The fresh water tank should be located above the floor, under the sofa - very convenient to the front roadside water fill. There are also two valve next to the tank, one is a drain, and the other is a cross-over valve. Opening the crossover valve allows the tank to be filled from the city water inlet located low on the roadside rear. Let me know if you want a picture or the schematic out of the manual.

Good luck!
JRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Bakersfield , California
Hi, thank you for the response. I have no manual for my AS. Well, just got it and it is in need of some help!!! I do not know what those medal boxes are for that run down the right side of the trailer that merges with the black water tank. Can you please send info? I don't know what I'm doing, does it show? lol
thanks,

Annette
RNgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hi Annette. You found the forum and you’re trying to rebuild a 1969 Land Yacht. Awesome. You’re in the right place, hang in there. Help will be posting soon. Good Luck! Keep reading and poke around on the Land Yacht thread. Surly someone else has had the same question about your model.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Can you post a pic of the metal boxes?
Old 04-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #8
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Furnace ductwork to heat blacktank??

Need pix... for answer
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Turbotville , Pennsylvania
I agree with Aluminuminum about the furnace ductwork for the metal boxes and will try to figure out how to send some stuff from the manual. I scanned it into my computer, but it's 29 MB and there are probably rules about posting copyrighted stuff.
JRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
The 69 sovereign international had a fresh water tank that sat under the front couch on top of the floor. The fresh water fill hooks via a flexible coupler directly to the tank. The water pump hooks to the fresh water tank and a water line runs down the right side of the trailer on top of the floor behind all the cabinets. This line then hooks to your hot water tank inlet then toilet then Tees to the water pressure regulator for the city water hookup the drain valve and the rear bathroom sink. Then on to the shower and finally last back up the other side of the trailer to the galley sink. The plumbing is clearly laid out in the manual.
bellastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
The manual is available free in the airstream archives
Old 05-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
here is a picture of the water pipe layout in the 31 foot 69
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream plumbing.PNG
Views:	467
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	310476  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Rockton , Illinois
RNgirl

Welcome to the zoo! I also have a 1969 Sovereign 31 footer. We can learn together lol. If you have any questions, hit me up. The rear bath in mine is toast too. It's like a puzzle.
Take your time and take lots of pictures.
We're all here for the same reasons. " live, die and forget "

jbknowso
jbknowso is offline   Reply With Quote