Old 09-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #1

1967 30' Sovereign
1999 31' Land Yacht
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Giving it away, sort of

I'm thinking about just "sort of" giving my 30' 67 away. It's not really about the money, but I do want to locate somebody who knows vintage and is willing to take care of it. As for money, I would like to see whoever takes it to make a nice donation to a non-profit of my choice (namely, Albuquerque Health Care for the Homeless). I realize that the amount would vary, depending on personal finances. As much as affordable, I guess. The non-profit needs as much support as they can get at this point.

The story is that, after my wife's passing, I just couldn't travel with it any more. Too many memories tied up with it. The doggie and I now travel in an AI.

It will include pretty much the full set of things that go with it, including hitch.

Is anybody interested?

Lynn
Old 09-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
That is a fine offer and gesture. Being close to the point of limited travel myself and with 2 older Airstreams already I am not interested in taking you up on the offer. But someone should.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Lynn, quite admirable and I can understand your position. Hopefully itíll go to a caring couple who can appreciate it and build as many memories. Take care
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Cumming , Georgia
hey Lynn,

We would be interested. We have 5 kids and have outgrown our 72 14 foot SOB travel trailer. Looking to get an airsteam and haven't found the right one. Would love to talk with you further!
orangekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Lynn,
My wife and I already have a wonderful 1990 airstream, one that we and our young kids spent countless weekends in traveling the midwest campgrounds. Now my oldest son, Nathan, loves camping and airstreams more than me and because he and his wife just gave us our first grandchild, we thought it would be wonderful to give Nate the gift of his dreams.(besides his baby girl of course). Read your post and if your other offer doesn't work out, I would love to talk more.
thanks much,
wp
If
Old 09-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #6

1967 30' Sovereign
1999 31' Land Yacht
Orangekayak is going to take the Airstream, and I much appreciate it! It needs a good home, and I can no longer provide it.

THank you again.
Lynn
Old 09-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Lynn, what an incredible gift you have given this family; not just the airstream, but the gift of the memories that will be priceless. You have a good heart and I wish you new adventures and good memories to be made.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #8

1967 30' Sovereign
1999 31' Land Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Crazy View Post
Lynn, what an incredible gift you have given this family; not just the airstream, but the gift of the memories that will be priceless. You have a good heart and I wish you new adventures and good memories to be made.
CC
I hope they enjoy it. WE put a lot into it over the years of our ownership. Here's a document I found from just a month or so before Maria died. I was thinking about selling it at that time.

Our beloved vintage Airstream trailer, which we owned since the 1990s. It's a 1967 30 foot with twin beds and rear bath. The original weight of the RV is 4650 pounds dry; we have been towing it for the last 20 years in the mountain west with our Ford F150, small V8 motor.

Here's a list of new or newer or rebuilt or replaced stuff (in no particular order):

New vintage awning
New aluminum 30 pound propane tanks with lock
New aluminum wheels with locking nuts
Tires replaced with new Michelins
Centramatics wheel balancers are all four wheels
New spare tire on new steel wheel
New and uprated axles with new hubs and complete brake assemblies
Outside polished to fine finish
Original air conditioner replaced with new Carrier RV unit
Original refrigerator replaced with new Dometic RV unit
Rare original RV antenna with working inside directional crank; works as well as digital!
Water heater replaced and then rebuilt with new control unit and electric back-up
Flooring replaced with tile linoleum; extra tiles included in case of accidents!
Furnace rebuilt with new motor and upgraded sail switch
Water pump replaced
Faucet replaced in kitchen
Faucet replaced in bath tub
Water pump replaced, including new sediment filter
Converter replaced
All interior lights switched to LEDs
Porch light fixture replaced and outfitted with LED
Original copper plumbing replaced with Pex and residential risers
Kitchen sink faucet replaced with new
Bathtub-shower faucet replaced with new
Fresh water tank replaced with new
Black tank valve replaced with new
Oven rebuilt with new temperature controls

With the Airstream, we're also including these:

Weight distributing hitch and separate sway control (full set up for 2" receiver on your vehicle)
Portable 50 watt solar panel with installed controller unit
Blue boy portable tank
Sewer hose with proper fittings
Pair of vintage stabilizer jacks and vintage front jack base
We're even throwing in the stick vacuum we use in the Airstream!

What our Airstream needs now is new curtains (the old ones are totally faded) and possibly some cushion covers. Other than that, it's ready to roll!

Clear New Mexico title.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
Hi Lynn, what a generous offer on your Airstream. I hope the new owners appreciate and love it as much as you and your late wife did. My condolences on your loss. Sounds like you 2 had many years of travel and memories together. I came across a '77 24 ft Argosy about 6 years ago for a good price and bought it without my wife's permission. Needless to say, she was not very happy. However, after a few months, she forgave me and loves the Argosy and has redone the curtains and re upholstered all the fabric and made it her own. I'm sure your late wife added her own touches too. Take care and stay safe.
with 3.5L EcoBoost
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
I'm as impressed as everyone else, and also hope you are finding some peace. If something doesn't work out for Orangekayak, I'd love to talk to you about taking it. A vintage trailer like that is pretty much what I have always wanted for our family as well.
Big Ol Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Dallas , tx
Very kind of you. I'm sure their family will create many memories. My wife and I have a new 2020 Caravel 20FB, but have toured with a 1931 Ford across the US with the Model A Ford Club of America. Having a vintage piece that you travel with is always a gift not only to yourself, but a learning experience to so many others that see it. We always enjoy talking about our 1931 Ford at gas stations, restaurants and scenic stops along the way. Seeing a young child's eyes pop when we let them sit in the seat and honk the Ahhhoga Horn helps us feel like we are keeping the interest in history alive.
I hope to some day get a vintage Airstream or Spartan to have some of those similar experiences that we have through maintaining our vintage Ford, enjoying it as a machine that was used for travel and sharing it with others.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Stanardsville , Virginia
Great idea and you restored my faith in human kindness! Hope you find the right young family to take it over and enjoy it for many tears. Your wife is smiling in heaven!
madpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #13

1967 30' Sovereign
1999 31' Land Yacht
The trailer is now in the hands of the couple and their kids from Georgia! I hope they get as much enjoyment out of it as Maria and I did over the years of our ownership.

Lynn
Old 09-26-2020, 02:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Well done!

Old 09-26-2020, 03:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
There are no words for your generosity other then thank you and may God bless you
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #16

1967 30' Sovereign
1999 31' Land Yacht
I just hope they enjoy it!! It's an old machine at this point, so I was not about to guarantee anything. Just go have fun and hope for the best!!

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
There are no words for your generosity other then thank you and may God bless you
Old 09-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The new owners now have a very nice trailer. The last time I saw it was in Angle Fire and it was looking very good. Did you deliver the MH to it's new home yet?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Wow Lynn what a generous move. May the new family make as many good memories as your family did.

Alright, Orangekayak, time to update your profile to add the Argosy and your newest one. And now you won't have to give away any of those kids. Sleeping space for all of you. What a blessing!

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Eubank,

We both joined Airforums back in 2004 and over those 16 years have seen many acts of kindness here, but this one is greatest one to date. Some Airstreams are just blessed with great owners that allow the trailer to truly last a lifetime. What's the old saying, "We never really own anything in life, just it's keeper for a short period of time". May the new owners take care of the blessing that has been passed onto them well enough for a few more generations to enjoy the trailer for 50 more years.

Your wife would be proud of her husband.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:53 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
Nice offer but from a purely financial perspective you would be better off either donating it yourself to the charity of your choice or selling it and donating the proceeds in your name. That way you get the tax deduction on your Schedule A for the donated cash or value. Why not maximize your tax savings in the process?
IdahoTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote