Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1965-1969 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Manson , Washington
Difference between a '68 & '69

I'm looking into purchasing an airstream. I'm looking at two right now, but don't know the difference other than the year and length.

Is there a major difference from a '68 to a '69???

1969 29 foot Airstream Overlander Land yacht

1968 31 Ft. Sovereign Twin
(International Land Yacht)

I did my research before posting, but couldn't get a clear answer.

I've posted once before and everyone was great!

Thanks in advance.
jcdevivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The biggest difference between the '68s & '69s will be the windows. A '68 has the clean straight lines of Corning Glass and the '69 does not - it has the "new" rounded corners and window frames. There is a possibility that the '69 you are looking at is really a late model '68 that was titled in '69 so it could have the Corning windows too.

My guess is that the "29' Overlander'" is not an Overlander - it's a Ambassador. Overlanders were 27' long - not 29' The "O" in the VIN number means it was built in Ohio, not Overlander as has been misrepresented over the years on various websites.

Also, in '68 the Sovreigns were actually labeled as 30-feet although some years they were actually the same length & would be called 31-feet...it was all marketing.

Also. the International (vs Land Yacht) will have a few more "upgrades" in fit & finish. Nothing super monumental, but at the time they were selling points.

Check these two links out for more side-by-side comparisons:

'68 Sovereign
'69 Ambassador

Good luck with whichever one you decide on!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
69 was a major body style change. added front window wing windows and a generally more modern body shape. That MAY be about the time they were widened to 8 ft also.

Back in 72 when I bought my 69 ambassador (29) I was determined to buy the newer looking trailer.
Now I look for the older ones.
I have heard that the 68 was kind of a transitional year between the 2 body styles
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Manson , Washington
Thank you both. That clears up a lot! Going over both of your points and doing some research that makes it obvious. So much fun learning. I have to say I like the '69 tail end much more than the '68, although I like the windows on the '68 more with the exception of the wider windows on the '69.

Thank you!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdevivero View Post
Thank you both. That clears up a lot! Going over both of your points and doing some research that makes it obvious. So much fun learning. I have to say I like the '69 tail end much more than the '68, although I like the windows on the '68 more with the exception of the wider windows on the '69.

Thank you!
Just to confuse you more, the 69 will have a protruding door handle and square corners on the front and rear windows and lower part of the wing windows. If the window corners are rounded it is a 70 or newer and will have an inset door latch. The water tank was also moved to between the axles in 70.
I guess they were still in transition in 69 also
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
I just bought a '68 Overlander 26' International Land Yacht. I found the Airstream Website information very helpful:

Airstream, Inc :: Specifications

You can go the model year and make to get a list of specifications, upgrades in the international, etc.

As others have stated, there may be some overlap.

Also, the model specific threads on AirForums are a good read.

The windows in the '66-'68 are cool looking. The mechanism to open them is a bit quirky. It has springsteel latch clips on the crank-outs and clips on the windows as well to close the last inch and seal them to the gasket. The glass fits into an aluminum bar on the top and there is a crank arm attached to this bar and the crank-out lever. These parts are expensive (or impossible/not currently available) to replace. Another owner was looking for the spring steel clips that crank-in-and-out and they are currently not available. You want to be certain that these parts are there, in good condition and reasonably functional. if not, negotiate price accordingly. (I did not know these things when I bought mine).

If original, the windows should be re-set in the top bar to avoid them dropping out on the ground and breaking. Check to be certain that the windows are all original Corning bent glass and not replaced with plastic. I just ordered two curved glass windows at >$150 each (from Inland RV). Flat windows can be replaced with standard flat glass. The Stainless trim around the windows on the '68 is also relatively expensive to replace (but VTS has it).

I have the complete '68 manual if you have specific questions I could scan and post pages for you or e-mail to you if that helps. Maybe a reproduction is available online?
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The 69 Overlander would be the first year for the 27' - up from 26' in 1968. The 69 is also 6 inches wider. It still has the real wood interior and you avoid those pesky Phillips window latches.

Are you aware of this site:

Vintage Airstream Photo Archives
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
See this thread for photos of the window hardware I am mentioning. Hope it is in good shape and that all of the clips are intact!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...are-41156.html
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Manson , Washington
InsideOut, I think the windows are what sold me!

RickDavis, I didn't know about the doors.

Bunkroom, the expensive window parts are details that are important to a newbie. I would have overlooked that simple detail.

Ganglin, thanks for the link. I've saved all the links on my phone to go back an review.

Thank you all!

I posted another thread about the Overlander (Ambassador) I was looking into buying with details and have decided not to buy it with their advice. The guy wanted 6,500 for a gutted out Ambassador. It was nicely remodeled, but he only left the toilet and fridge. According to their advise the value dramatically went down and for a newbie like me I should purchase something closer to being done and ready to camp out of.

Thanks guys for all your knowledgable help!
Old 09-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
tracking a 1968 International 24 foot Airstream

I know this isn't the place for this post but I couldn't locate the appropriate forum. From research and using the almost cryptic decoder, the 67 and 68 models had a 8 digit serial or VIN number. My purpose in all this is to try locating the trailer as it belonged to a family member. Here's the number: 12475575
Is that enough to start a search?
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
VIN number Question

The first thing is that the very first digit (1) is really an I for International trim package. The next two digits are 24 that ID is for a 24 foot model which equals a Tradewind. I am not really sure what the 75 is about? If the fourth and fifth digits are actually a 7 (for bed ID) such as full or twins and an S then the S means the trailer was built in the Santa Fe Springs,Ca Plant. If it were built in Ohio then there would be a J (for Jackson Center plant) in the Vin numbers. The last three digits are the factory sequential serial number of your trailer. I hope this helps you out. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968 sovereign