Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Cogan Station , Pennsylvania
Back again for help!

Hello everyone!.....Quick story.

Awhile (1.5 years) back I purchased a 69 sovereign with the intention to do a partial restoration. The idea was to live in the old girl while building my house here in PA. Well between starting a business and working on the 400 acre property, the AS project fell to the side. Being that I have a place to live, I decided to work on an old house on the property. During the past few days, I have been looking at the house and the AS and cant help but ask myself,"what is the better investment?". I have come to the conclusion that the AS is the better investment. You have to see the poor condition of the house to fully understand.

Anyway, to bring whomever is interested up to speed, I did a lot of preliminary work to the AS. I re-wired all of the necessary components to tow the AS as well as replacing the hension(sp?) axles and brakes. Put new rims and tires on the AS. After a complete inspection by a local RV dealer in NH, I towed the old girl 9 hours down to PA. SHE TOWED LIKE A DREAM!!! My 04 2500hd had no trouble with good speeds and steep hills. I was very happy with the whole trip.

So to get right down to the point of all of this, I have decided(with the help of friends and family) to do a complete and total restoration on the AS. I have tools, space and a good chunk of cash to get started. I am going to restart the project by finishing the interior gutting process and just start from scratch. I am not necessarily interested in restoring the AS to its original factory state. I was hoping to put the bedroom in the back and install a centrally located bathroom. This brings the main question:

How can I get my hands on floorplans for other AS trailers that may accomodate my needs and desires? Is it even possible to install a centrally located bathroom when starting from scratch?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much,

Ira Adelson

**Just cause I'm drive'in through life doesn't mean everyone else is a passenger.

4 Blogs for you to view
https://www.badelson.blogspot.com
badelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Restoration Route

Hey Ira,

Anything in the way of bathroom relocation is acheivable if you have the desire and financials.

We are beginning a frame off rebuild of our 1976 31' center bath next month. We are detail drawing the interior layout, and photo documenting things at this point. We will start the tear down shortly after. I can send you a copy of the floorplan layout dimensions if it will help you. It will be near the end of June.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Cogan Station , Pennsylvania
Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I am very interested in your floor plans, especially the bathroom. The bedroom, kitchen and living areas will be a challenge, but I feel strongly that I can create a functional and aesthetically pleasing trailer. The darn wheel wells are the reason I began to worry about centrally locating the bathroom. However, I noticed on the Inland RV site that they have a shower pan for a '74 that looks as if it was intended to be installed over the wheel well.

I will post some pics soon of the old girl pre and post gutting. I have floor rot to deal with in the back. 1st things first I guess.

Thanks again!

**Just cause I'm drive'in through life doesn't mean everyone else is a passenger.

4 Blogs for you to view
https://www.badelson.blogspot.com
badelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1969 sovereign