Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1965-1969 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
1969 Sovereign Chopped, Modified, Custom

Okay what I have here is a 31foot sovereign international that was converted into a motorhome in the 1980's. Has a 500 cubic inch Cadillac motor and th400 auto. Picked this up(2010) on the cheap( in my local area this is a steal) $1600 it's cost me plus$500 in moving costs so far.

Improperly set up, and years of dreaming has turned into me buying a 1982 280td airstream excella motorhome instead. The cheapest most cost effective solution is to convert back to a tow behind. The metal got heavily damaged after the last tow unfortunately. I'm thinking a " Bambi" sized unit is my goal.( so goal 3 is smallest possible)

So here is the discussion:

I want input on the shell. I'm pretty handy as a carpenter. So this project is simple asides for the time aspect which is like hens teeth for myself. Inside I have only 2 goals! A queen sized bed (approx 60" wide by full width of trailer& 95% likely to be in the rear. In the front I would like a 42" booth for eating, family relaxing. This most likely would be fixed dinette. I want this trailer to be for the adults private sleeping area.

This = 11' inside dimensions with door. most likely This would be 100% crammed and unrealistic so 12feet inside,thickness of walls,Plus body/ hitch Equals a 16footer??

I figure the smaller = more value on resale. ( anything I do I try to protect the Benjamin's value (my labour can be free lol and how cares about inflation) and small units are pretty nice looking! Also need to keep under 2000lbs for towing.

So the rear is going to be a cut and paste, door is getting cut and paste the front will have to be completely fabbed. I'm not utilizing windows in the front, not going to get the sheet metal English wheeled for compound curves.

Any ideas on panel sizes? Panel designs? Even the shape of the outside shell? I love excessive sometimes,so 20 or 30 panels wouldn't scare me if it was an awesome design,and structural frame is easy also I have a welder and experience building.My goal is a dinette so typicle rounded to squarish is mostly the goal.

See if this thread can attract any artists, or creative minds to add to ideas with a clean slate.
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign