Old 11-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Adkins , Texas
1968 Sovereign

Hello,
We have the opportunity to purchase a 1968 Sovreign. We are going to look at it tomorrow. From the pictures and from what the seller says it seems to be in "average" condition with everything original. The owner has been using it on week ends. The floors have been replaced. Is there anything we need to be looking for or asking? I have read some of the forums. How can you tell if the axels are good? The guy says the wheel bearings have recently been packed. We are Airstream novices.
Thanks for any information you could pass on.

Mashleymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashleymc View Post
Hello,
We have the opportunity to purchase a 1968 Sovreign. We are going to look at it tomorrow. From the pictures and from what the seller says it seems to be in "average" condition with everything original. The owner has been using it on week ends. The floors have been replaced. Is there anything we need to be looking for or asking? I have read some of the forums. How can you tell if the axels are good? The guy says the wheel bearings have recently been packed. We are Airstream novices.
Thanks for any information you could pass on.

The following article will help you check out the axles.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Question #1

The first question you should ask is: Was the sub-floor replaced or just a new floor put over the top of a rotted floor? Look for some telltale issues like missing interior rivets on wall and ceiling panels. Look for missing or loose rivets on the exterior as well as slight wrinkles in the exterior skin panels. Both may indicate a sub-floor issue. Asking the questions as to the operability of all appliances is important too! Don't fall for the old "It worked the last time we used it!" Ask the owner/seller to show you that the refer works on both gas and electric. Also see that the stove oven and water heater work. These are all expensive to repair or replace. Ask if the trailer works on shore power and on battery power. Read the tips above by Andy from InlandRV as to the condition of the axles. See if all the running lights work. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
stand on the bumper. If the frame moves and the shell does not, it has rear end separation. This is a very common Airstream issue. It will also be a good indicator of how new that floor really is.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Adkins , Texas
Thank you for responding. I feel that those are some useful tips for us "newbies".
What is shore power?
Mashleymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
You can pretty much plan on an axle replacement at some point unles they have been done. But that is no reason to squash a deal, if the price is fair. Look undr everything for signs of floor rot or leakage. Try everything you can- any system can need repair. If the thing looks generally good and you can handle some expense for unexpected repairs go for it.
Those older Sovereigns are hard to find.

Shore power and water are the outside connections to campsite utilities.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashleymc View Post
Thank you for responding. I feel that those are some useful tips for us "newbies".
What is shore power?
Shore power is when you connect your trailer to a 120 volt A/C outlet that is rated at 30 amps or more. It gives you the ability to run all of your A/C outlets and lighting as well as electric appliances (refer/ Air conditioner, etc.) without draining your batteries. Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, 1968 sovereign, sovereign