Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > Safari slide out models - all years
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Bigfork , Montana
Slideout 2005 Safari

Need help with slideout. Several days ago I inadvertantly hit the paddle latch when the slide out was but half in and that seemed to deactivate the motor for the actual slider. Following instructions in the owner manual I lowered the hinged cover outside and then turned the hexagonal driveshaft to bring the slider in all the way. After the slider was completely in I tried to operate it with the motor, but no luck. I tried pounding on the paddles (Paddle latch motor works fine) to make sure they were fully seated, but still no luck. Airstream says there's a 12V panel and I'm inclinded to think I've blown a fuse, but I can not locate the fuse for the slider no matter where I look. If it was one on the fuse box located by the bed, all seem to check out with a meter.
So where is the fuse for the slideout? But maybe that's not my problem and it's something else??
I'm just grasping at straws, trying to get some input. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Never had any problems before with slideout.
Oh, I've located the black control module which is located beneath the arm of the sofa, whihc is located beneath the front window of the Safari. Maybe there's a fuse buried with all the wires that run to the woofer for the stero, but if so I simply can't find it. Any ideas????
Should I bite the bullet and just take it to an RV repair?
Thanks!!
Bert
Bert Gildart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Bigfork , Montana
OK, the good people at Airstream walked me through a series of diagnostic procedures, allowing me to take my limited electronic and mechanical skills further than I thought possible. Still, that didn't resolve my problem so I made an appointment with a local RV service center. Under the circumstances that's probably the most expeditious thing I can do.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Bert,
I was hoping someone here could provide you the assistance! I'm really surprised you didn't get responses.

I think you did the right thing contacting Airsteam directly. I look forward to hearing the solution. Odd that the techs at JC couldn't get it going for you.

Good luck!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Bigfork , Montana
Slideout

Thanks, Dan! My appointment is for this Friday, so any thoughts on getting my slideout working can still be attempted until that time.
Bert
Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Bert,

This is probably a dumb question but when you manually closed the slide by wrenching on the shaft, you had to disengage the motor with that lever.. is it possible the lever wasnt put back into the engaged position and might just be free wheelin now??

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Bigfork , Montana
slideout lever

No question is a dumb one, and I quickly discovered this morning that I had not pushed the lever back down. But, alas, that still didn't resolve the problem.
Thanks anyway!
Bert
Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Bert,

My trailer has manual locks so I only have the power switch to the slide. The wiring schematic is very simple for mine. The fuse must be somewhere in the main 12volt panel? Do you have the manuals for the trailer? There is usually a wiring diagram in all that.

Good luck.

Vin

Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Bigfork , Montana
Saints be praised I discovered the problem with my slideout. Inside the recess where the paddle latches are seated when not securing the slideout, there's a tiny pin that must make contact with some type of small plate. If that doens't happen then the circuit is not compelete and the slideout won't move. Contact is usually made when the locks are drawn in, which in turn pushes the pin toward the above mentioned plate.
There's a better way of describing these contacts which Jim at Airstream explained the other day. However, my knowledge of such devices is limited so it took several days of swirling in the circuitry of my mental wiring before everything jived. Bottom line, all is functioning once again and I'm a happy man.
Thanks Vin for your input.
Bert
Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Bert,

We just got back from a rally this weekend and a friend of ours has the same problem with his. The contacts for those locks.

Seems to be a weak point.

Glad you got it identified..

Vin

Tags
safari, slide out