Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > Safari slide out models - all years
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Just a note to this thread.

I went on a factory tour about a month ago (May 2009) and was told all slide out have been discontinued. No explanation.

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #42

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
They just weren't big sellers. Overall the slide after it's initial introduction was a pretty good product. Lots of folks want an Airstream for an Airstream's sake, not the fact of it having a slide. I think they thought the availability of a slide would gather additional owners. When you add the slide cost on top of the premium you pay for an Airstream, it probably wasn't a great motivator for folks to come over to the Airstream side. We went to the slide for the extra interior space it offered. This was done after we had already owned a Safari.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
We are trading our 98 34' Excella Classic for a 2000 34' Limited sofa slide out which was on consignment at the local Airstream Dealer. The orginal owner who ordered it new is getting out of Airstreaming. We really liked the additional lounge space and that there was no dinnette. There are 2 bar stools which works great for me and my wife. If we have guest we usually eat outside and if the weather is bad we use trays inside. I have read with interest the comments, mostly postive, on the forums regarding slides. We are also having the carpet replaced throughout with Pergo and removing the bathroom wall/pocket door to create a much larger bath/dressing area. I found it very interesting that that many said towing was actually beter. I have a Hensley which is fantasic with my current unit so I am hoping that the new unit will tow very well also with the Hensley.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #44
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Congrats on your S/O! We love ours too. She is heavy but tows like a dream.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstar View Post
Just a note to this thread.

I went on a factory tour about a month ago (May 2009) and was told all slide out have been discontinued. No explanation.

Corky
so do we have a "collector's item" now?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #46
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hmm. Maybe so..

Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
so do we have a "collector's item" now?
Yes, your Airstream is now worth more than you paid for it! Actually, I think our mechanical support network for slideouts is becoming more dependant on Airforums...
Old 06-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
I will be looking at this thread for guidance as I adjust to my "new" SO. I have appreciated the advice and support from the forums from the beginning of my search in 05 for my first Airstream.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #49
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier View Post
I will be looking at this thread for guidance as I adjust to my "new" SO. I have appreciated the advice and support from the forums from the beginning of my search in 05 for my first Airstream.

Your Cummins will do a nice job towing your Airstream. Thats a big trailer matched with that truck you should be pretty confident on trips.

Vinnie

Old 09-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
Manual Operation of SO

There is nothing in my Airstream manual on how to manually put the slide in or out. Can someone offer a short tutorial. I have no idea what I would do if it failed
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
Cumming , Georgia
I read in our manual that there is a crank that you can reach inside a compartment. Our's is an '86 fifth wheel, so I don't know if that helps you or not. I'm sure someone else here will know.
Djmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #52
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
[QUOTE=lsmith;1047351]There is nothing in my Airstream manual on how to manually put the slide in or out. Can someone offer a short tutorial. I have no idea what I would do if it failed.

If you look under the trailer there is a compartment thats hinged on one side and screws that keep it from flapping down. This compartment houses the slide motor and the two shafts on either side that work the rack and pinion. If the slide fails and wont go back in you would lower that metal flap to get to the motor. There is a lever on the motor. You have to disengage the motor drive simply by moving the lever. Only one direction is possible. Then you would take a cresent wrench and near the motor you will find a big nut that will manually allow you to turn the shafts. Keep turning until the slide is all the way in and seated. Not a fun job but possible. I havent had any problems with the motor or operation of the slide. Mine did require some adjustment but it wasnt too bad.

Take care.

Vinnie

Old 12-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #53
Single Slice

2004 28' Safari S/O
Livingston , Louisiana
Slide out trouble. My 28' SO worked great a month ago, now will not slide out. It appears there is no current going to the motor because pushing the in/out rocker switch results in nothing. Locking arms work fine. Am thinking: bad rocker switch, bad control board, or bad motor and/or wiring to motor (work of mice??) This is going to be my process. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks
david686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
I would have a look in the slide compartment under the trailer first. To see if the wiring is ok. Then follow your order of things to do.
Good Luck.
Eric 28
Old 12-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

Are the limit switches for the locks being made? I believe there are limits on both latched and unlatched for the locks. The latches interlock the in and out of the slide.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #56
Single Slice

2004 28' Safari S/O
Livingston , Louisiana
Found the problem, and it was me. I let one of the batteries get low on water, then it got low on voltage and the converter kept charging it until it 'boiled' off all the water in it. Voltage going to the SO motor was 3.5v. Not enough to make it run but for some reason it was enough to run the locking arms. Happy to say, found the battery problem before taking anything apart.
david686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
wasting time reading researching will be perhaps in the AS market in 2014 - the slide out options on a used unit seems attractive to me....I figured for most of the newer 25+ foot AS's a 3/4 ton is nice to have so I guess the added weight will not be a big deal....the concerns about failure of the slideout seem troubling but perhaps not often based on responses in this thread....and on other forums with SOB's seems like in general slide outs seems to fair pretty well as far as not having major issues...

Of course moving parts, seals, etc...more things to fail....but seems with proper use and maintenance this extra space can be enjoyed, albeit with higher price tag and weight....Ill keep it in mind....thanks for all the in detail info you all....this site is unreal full of good information!
PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
1987 32' Excella
Burlingame , California
We're on our second AS. I found a great deal on an 03 Safari 28SO. We upgraded from a 87 Excella 32 footer. I'll never go back to a non-SO camper. What I lost in length I gained in width at the front cabin area.

The SO has been trouble free except recently I found an issue when popping the slide out. When I operate the switch on the "out position" I hold the switch and the slides moves about an inch before it stops. I then have to hit the switch again and again until the slide is fully out. Retracting is normal. I checked the operation of the switch and it's fine. I read in the manual that resistance will limit the movement. So I went and greased the tracks and that worked fine for a few times and now it's back to slow turtle mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
fman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #59

Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman88 View Post
We're on our second AS. I found a great deal on an 03 Safari 28SO. We upgraded from a 87 Excella 32 footer. I'll never go back to a non-SO camper. What I lost in length I gained in width at the front cabin area.

The SO has been trouble free except recently I found an issue when popping the slide out. When I operate the switch on the "out position" I hold the switch and the slides moves about an inch before it stops. I then have to hit the switch again and again until the slide is fully out. Retracting is normal. I checked the operation of the switch and it's fine. I read in the manual that resistance will limit the movement. So I went and greased the tracks and that worked fine for a few times and now it's back to slow turtle mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I'm assuming that the stabilizer jacks are down before you extend the slide? If so also be careful as to how much pressure you have on the stabilizers. I usually drop them down until I detect a slight lift to the frame. Then I reverse them up until I see that the pressure come off the frame and it comes back down. What I'm attempting to do is make sure the trailer frame is not torqued by any specific stabilizer.

My stabilizer jacks are electrically powered so it is easy to torque the frame if you are not careful.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman88 View Post

We've experienced the same issue from time to time ever since purchasing our unit in 2004. We both add a bit of pressure on the S/O as we extend it and everything goes smoothly. Jack is correct about leveling properly and not putting torque on the frame when lowering the stabilizers allowing them to just touch the ground.
Other issues with a S/O we've found;
1. The unit will not close unless the locking arms are completely withdrawn so make certain you keep the locking arm switch depressed until there is no noise or hit it again should the unit not retract.
2. Make certain the mechanism is lubricated from time to time upon servicing your AS.
3. Use Armorall or similar on the weatherstripping to preserve the material.
4. When locking just touch the interior skin without over torquing the arms. The slide will not move even if you don't lock it (per my dealer) and the locking arms are an added safety precaution. You can over troque the locking arms causing one or both to not release when unlocking.
5. Should your slide extend/retract in an uneven manner you've most likely broken a one of two tempered bolts on the S/O. Don't panic but go outside and help the side not retracting evenly by helping push it while your partner operates the slide from the inside then have the unit serviced.
We love our Classic S/O!
Happy Trails!