Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Flat panel TV recommendations?

Hi Streamers!

We just signed the papers for a 2001 Safari 25 SS. It's used, of course, and comes with a traditional television mount attached to the wall behind the dinette and in front of the sofa. We want to change it out to a flat panel unit (19" with integrated DVD player) but think we should mount it above the dinette against the refridgerator separator - that seems to be were all the new ones are being mounted.

I'm looking for recommentations in this regard. Is this the best place to mount these new fangled flat panels? Is there enough space so that people sitting at the dinette don't bang their heads against the TV? Or should we stick with the original location?

Comments appreciated!
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Granted, the layouts of our trailers are different, but mine is located mid way between the bed and the dinette so we can simply swivel it around to watch it from either location. I've also toyed with idea of moving the mount forward approximately 18 inches toward the door so the screen can also be visible from outside the trailer.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have puzzled over mounting a flat panel in my Tradewind and no location satisfied us completely. So I decided to just use it as is. For us 20" seemed to be the max we wanted.

I just bought a 15" Akai flat panel TV/ DVD through ecost for $209. It also has a 12v adapter. In researching flat panels I found a lot of them work on 12v stepped down from 110 anyway. Another thing I was told was that a LCD is preferable to a plasma as a plasma screen may have problems at higher elevations.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Thanks for your thoughts. Well, assuming we have the option to move the TV from the factory postion to the refigerator wall, I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I'll be talking to the dealer tomorrow and find out if there are any complications involved in moving it. All I know is that in all the newer trailers with similar designs the flat panel TV's are all against the refrigerator wall over the dinette.

I was thinking a 19" would be ideal, but a 17" might be OK too. A built in DVD is a must so that could limit our choice. For us the 12V option isn't that important since we rarely dry camp.

I'll let you know what I find out...

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Old 10-21-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
LCD TVs larger than 19" are also possible. Have a look at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...dtv-32843.html . The 23" TV we have and show in that thread has an integrated DVD. It is a Sharp, but I do not know if it is still made. TV models change almost as fast as computers.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Mounting on the fridge seperator wall is not hard. it requires a little planning.
I took the AS suplied bracket with my 19" LCD TV and modified it to hold my 23" LCD TV. The AS supplied plate has studs in it. I punched them out. Drilled many more holes for support screws. Bolted a swing arm to the plate and screwed the plate to the wall. It survived the accident.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Gary
When moving that mount and placeing it on the fridge bulkhead ,keep in mind that those bulkheads are not very thick, watch the length of those screws ,you dont want to go thru and into the side of the fridge it might turn in to a disaster.Just some food for thought ,I contemplated the same thing till I measured my bulkhead and found it is only 1/2 thick and all the brackets I can find (aftermarket) have 2" long mounting screws.
Good Luck
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We have our Sony 23 inch TV mounted on the wall next to the frig. The only problem is the TV volume has to be turned up very high so that it can be heard from the sofa. I'm exploring ideas for additonal speakers especially behind the sofa. I would sure like some idea's.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Do you have a sound system installed? if so there may be wires behind the wall to connect it to the stereo.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
Gary
When moving that mount and placeing it on the fridge bulkhead ,keep in mind that those bulkheads are not very thick, watch the length of those screws ,you dont want to go thru and into the side of the fridge it might turn in to a disaster.Just some food for thought ,I contemplated the same thing till I measured my bulkhead and found it is only 1/2 thick and all the brackets I can find (aftermarket) have 2" long mounting screws.
Good Luck
Roger
Thanks for the tip, Roger. As a matter of a fact our dealer pointed this out. They have to remove the fridge and reinforce the wall with plywood before they can mount the TV. It also involves moving the thermostat and reworking the TV cable and electrical wiring. Good thing I got the dealer to include all this in the deal!

We found a 23" Toshiba with built-in DVD that should just fit provided there's room to insert/extract the DVD (which is tight to the wall).

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Old 11-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I was attracted to this thread to see what people are recommending regarding high-definition TV since regular analog TV will stop broadcasting in 2009. It won't matter for those that always stop in RV parks with cable/satellite connections at each space but those of us that boon-dock will have to replace our TV's with HD models, buy what ever adapter that is not yet on the market (the Feds have mandated that they be available) or only use them for playing DVD's.

I did take a look around the large box stores and the new HD flat screen models don't seem to be as small or as thin as our 15 inch Sharp which would limit the head room for the dinette if we use the factory location in our 25ft CCD. What have people found?

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #12
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
I also looked into mounting a TV arm on the wall next to the frig. To be safe and sturdy, the mounting would have had to be through-bolted, preferably with a back plate, given the standard 1/2 inch AS wall. This would have involved pulling out the frig to get the job done, so I didn't do it. Instead, I found a vertical mount TV arm and bolted it to the credenza. An advantage to the credenza mount is that we like the TV at eye level rather than craning our necks to view a TV high on the wall.

We do bump around in the boondocks a lot so we got a Jensen 12 volt heavy duty TV from a marine mail order house.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:19 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Ok, so it turns out the 23" Toshiba with the built-in DVD player won't fit on the fridge wall. Well, actually it will fit, but the DVD slot is on the right hand side, too close to the wall to easily get the DVD in and you can't see the controls.

We found a cheap 19" Insignia at Best Buy/Future Shop with a build in DVD player on the left side, as well as a 22" Ventura at Sams Club, but virtually everyone we've talked to, including some salesmen, have steered us away from the no-name brands.

Since I can't locate a 19"-23" name brand LCD TV with a DVD build in on the left side where I need it, my only option may be to buy one without a built-in DVD. The advantages are that there's plenty of LCD TV's to choose from, and they're generally a lot thinner so won't interfere with anyone sitting at the dinette.

But since we want to be able to play DVD's (we mostly frequent provincial parks with no cable and very few over-the-air stations available) I'm looking for recommendations for the smallest functional DVD player I can find. I presume I'm going to be relegated to one of those mini-players with the 7" screens.

I'd much prefer to have an integrated unit, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Old 11-18-2007, 07:31 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman
I was attracted to this thread to see what people are recommending regarding high-definition TV since regular analog TV will stop broadcasting in 2009. It won't matter for those that always stop in RV parks with cable/satellite connections at each space but those of us that boon-dock will have to replace our TV's with HD models, buy what ever adapter that is not yet on the market (the Feds have mandated that they be available) or only use them for playing DVD's.

I did take a look around the large box stores and the new HD flat screen models don't seem to be as small or as thin as our 15 inch Sharp which would limit the head room for the dinette if we use the factory location in our 25ft CCD. What have people found?
Hi Motoman:

If you buy a new HD TV with a ATSC tuner you should be all set to receive over-the-air HD broadcasts in the future. Otherwise you'll need a separate converter box as you indicated. For space reasons I would think it would be better to buy one with the ATSC tuner built in.

As for the thickness of the TV's I've seen a few in the 19-23 inch range that are quite thin (Samsung comes to mind), but the ones with the build-in DVD are all much thicker - in the 4 - 5 inch range.

One way to reduce the overall thickness is to use a fixed wall mount - all the articulated mounts are much thicker. For what it's worth, our RV dealer's head tech didn't recommend the articulated mounts for larger TV's since, unless they are fastened really solidly and strapped down properly when travelling, they can swing free and get damaged.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Old 11-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
I'm looking for recommendations for the smallest functional DVD player I can find. I presume I'm going to be relegated to one of those mini-players with the 7" screens.
You do not necessarily have to buy a DVD player with a little screen. For example, I found with a minimal Google search a 1/2 DIN car 12V DVD player ( HALF DIN DVD/ CD/ MP3/ Player ). We used for several years a small (not as small as 1/2 DIN) Blaupunkt 12V DVD player and it was great. It came with a "brick" power supply to run off 120V if necessary, but we just had it wired into the Airstream's 12V system.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Thanks Tim, that's a neat idea. I might be able to velcro it to the back of the TV if I can figure out a way to get power to it.

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Old 11-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
Ok, so it turns out the 23" Toshiba with the built-in DVD player won't fit on the fridge wall. Well, actually it will fit, but the DVD slot is on the right hand side, too close to the wall to easily get the DVD in and you can't see the controls.

We found a cheap 19" Insignia at Best Buy/Future Shop with a build in DVD player on the left side, as well as a 22" Ventura at Sams Club, but virtually everyone we've talked to, including some salesmen, have steered us away from the no-name brands.

Since I can't locate a 19"-23" name brand LCD TV with a DVD build in on the left side where I need it, my only option may be to buy one without a built-in DVD. The advantages are that there's plenty of LCD TV's to choose from, and they're generally a lot thinner so won't interfere with anyone sitting at the dinette.

But since we want to be able to play DVD's (we mostly frequent provincial parks with no cable and very few over-the-air stations available) I'm looking for recommendations for the smallest functional DVD player I can find. I presume I'm going to be relegated to one of those mini-players with the 7" screens.

I'd much prefer to have an integrated unit, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
Have you thought about a flip down screen? They go under the cabinet and have a small screen. Usually with speakers. People put them in their home kitchens alot. Best Buy and other places have them online to look at.
Alaska1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Flat screen mount

I would not recommend buying an intergrated unit because if the DVD player malfunctions you have ruined you unit, according to the advice I was given.
We just had the local Airstream dealer mount ours on the cabinet behind the dinnette and it has an arm that pulls out and turns so you can view it from the dinnette or back to the living area. We are happy with it.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I too would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a really small DVD player??
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
I too would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a really small DVD player??
I thought I just did give a recommendation above, but probably should have clarified what 1/2 DIN means. The standard little rectangular car radio (like those in most new Airstreams) is a full DIN size, so 1/2 DIN is only one-half as thick. Googling "half din dvd" turned up, for example, the following:
1. Pyle PLDVD115 Half Din DVD/CD/MP3 Player - Compare Prices, customer and user reviews, Features, Accessories, Specifications
2. Audiovox Avdhd : Mp3 Dvd / Dash Receivers / Car Audio
3. Buy.com - BOSS AUDIO DVD4000B Half-DIN Mobile DVD Player - DVD4000B

Dimensions for a 1/2 DIN piece of equipment are 1" high x 7 " wide (the face) by 4 3/4" to 6 1/4" deep. It is hard to find something smaller.