Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Decatur , Alabama
Winterizing my '06

I know this is a tired old question and I know the basics of using antifreeze in the water system, keeping the batteries hot but what about drains? Anything I might miss?
sarmstrong@allsportinc.com

Nightwind15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Nightwind,
I tend to forget the hand held spray nozles in the kitchen sink and the one that is attached to the toilet.

Also put about 1-2 cups in bathroom, kitchen, and shower traps. And leave the same amount in the toilet bowl to keep the flapper seal lubricated.

I also open the low point drains while charghing the system with antifreeze to make sure there is no plain H2O in the lines leading down to the low point drains.

PS - Wait a minute...You all get cold enough in Decatur, AL to have to winterize???
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Decatur , Alabama
When I moved to Decatur, AL they told me the average mean temperature was 72 degrees. What they failed to tell me was it ranged from _10 to 105. The old saying in Alabama concerning the weather is,l "IF you do not like the weather, just wait two days and it will change." Now about the low point drains, are they clearly marked under the Bambi?
Nightwind15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Nightwind,
The low point drains on our '06 Classic are behind the curb side wheels and stick out of the pan that covers our fresh water tank. They are left handed threaded radiator style drain plugs.

Your owner's manual should provide the location of the low point drains on your coach.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
Nightwind,
I tend to forget the hand held spray nozles in the kitchen sink and the one that is attached to the toilet.

Also put about 1-2 cups in bathroom, kitchen, and shower traps. And leave the same amount in the toilet bowl to keep the flapper seal lubricated.

I also open the low point drains while charghing the system with antifreeze to make sure there is no plain H2O in the lines leading down to the low point drains.

PS - Wait a minute...You all get cold enough in Decatur, AL to have to winterize???

I learned to my chagrin about the toilet hand spray last winter!

We just bought the trailer in the Fall and I winterized it soon after we bought it. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a toilet hand spray hose - the previous owner had tucked it away in behind the toilet.

Sure enough when we took the trailer out in Feb. to head south, as soon as I put water in the trailer, water was leaking out of the toilet all over the floor!

Soon discovered the spray hose and the problem - cracked plastic nozzle.

Lesson learned! An easy fix, although as I recall, the replacement was only available as a kit and I think it cost me around $40!

Even though I know everything that needs to be done to winterize,, it is so easy to forget something, (like the waterfilter in the Moen sink faucet), so I have made myself a checklist for the future.

One thing I just added to my list was that after you have bypassed and drained the HW tank, when you have pumped the antifreeze into the rest of the plumbing system, it doesn't hurt to crack the valves into the HW tank open for a second just to be sure no water is left in the short lines between the valves and the tank.

Not my idea, someone here on the forum recently cracked a fitting in one of those short hoses for this reason. Another easy thing to do, but also easily forgetten (by me anyway!) without a check list!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 bambi