Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Water level - does it include the water heater's 6 gallons

That's the question. When you fill up with fresh water, is a portion of that going into the water heater or is that drawn in when the heater is turned on. There's been so many times that we fill up and not long after, the gauge shows we're a lot lower than we should be. I know it could be the gauge itself (or the sensor), but wondered if it might have to do with the heater.
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
That's the question. When you fill up with fresh water, is a portion of that going into the water heater or is that drawn in when the heater is turned on. There's been so many times that we fill up and not long after, the gauge shows we're a lot lower than we should be. I know it could be the gauge itself (or the sensor), but wondered if it might have to do with the heater.
When you fill up the fresh water tank nothing flows to the water heater or anywhere else unless you have the water pump turned on.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I am not sure how Airstream counts fresh water capacity. My experience with other travel trailer mfg's is that they count the 6 gallon water heater in the capacity specification. For example if the trailer has a 20 gal fresh water tank the trailer mfg will say that the trailer has a 26 gal fresh water capacity. If the water heater is empty it will take 6 gal from the fresh water tank to fill it before you have hot water. With the water heater full and the fresh water tank full, you still only have a 20 gal usable capacity.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Thanks for the replies. When you do a systems check and get a water reading though, does it also account for what's in the water heater (with or without the pump on)?
Old 09-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, let's say that your trailer's water system is empty. You fill your fresh water tank. Your gauge [if it still works ] should read full. Your water heater is still empty. Turn on your water pump and your water heater is still empty, so do not turn the water heater on. Open all water faucets [one at a time] to remove the air from the system. With a hot water valve open, water will then go into your water heater. Now that your system has purged the air out, and your water heater is full, now refill/top-off your fresh water tank and you will have as much water as possible. Airstream gives you the fresh water tank size and the water heater holds an extra 6 gallons. Never turn on your water heater when it is empty.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, let's say that your trailer's water system is empty. You fill your fresh water tank. Your gauge [if it still works ] should read full. Your water heater is still empty. Turn on your water pump and your water heater is still empty, so do not turn the water heater on. Open all water faucets [one at a time] to remove the air from the system. With a hot water valve open, water will then go into your water heater. Now that your system has purged the air out, and your water heater is full, now refill/top-off your fresh water tank and you will have as much water as possible. Airstream gives you the fresh water tank size and the water heater holds an extra 6 gallons. Never turn on your water heater when it is empty.
Boom!!! Now that's information my friend!! Thanks
Old 11-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
4RivetWannabe

2007 16' Bambi
2018 26' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
As a follow-up to the question and answers, how does the water heater tank work when connected to a city inlet hose, and no fresh water is in the fresh water tank?
rportillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The plumbing system has two potential inputs: either from the fresh water tank via the water pump, or from the city water supply. So the water hear can be filled by either source, but the process for purging air from the system is the same either say, as described above.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Unless you drain the WH it will stay full or at least almost full. Emptying the fresh water tank leaves the WH with water in it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
The water capacities listed in the documentation does NOT include the water in the HW tank. Once the HW tank is filled, I consider it "lost" in the system. If you go boondocking and fill up your FW tank you will be able to draw on all of that water. When the FW tank is empty, you are out of water even though you still have 6 gallons in your HW tank.

When you open a HW faucet something has to push the water out. Your water pump will do this with the water in the FW tank but once it is gone you won't get anything out of the faucet. Same as when you are hooked up to city water. Open the faucet and the city water pressure will push the water through the coach.

Every spring when I de-winterize I hook up to city water to flush out the system, to fill the HW tank and to remove all the air in the lines. The HW tank is filled and remains so until I winterize in the fall.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Ok maybe you can help me. I cannot seem to get the air out of the lines. The water heater has never been used (2016 22 FB Bambi) so I am trying to learn the plumbing. Sanitized the system but cannot get beyond spurting u s ING the water pump. Have talked with factory techs. They say bad pump or air leak. No water leaks. What am I missing?
LuLuAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdnutt View Post
Ok maybe you can help me. I cannot seem to get the air out of the lines. The water heater has never been used (2016 22 FB Bambi) so I am trying to learn the plumbing. Sanitized the system but cannot get beyond spurting u s ING the water pump. Have talked with factory techs. They say bad pump or air leak. No water leaks. What am I missing?
Hook up to city water, open all faucets and turn on the pump, disconnect the city water, close all taps. Pump should be primed.

Bob
Old 08-05-2016, 10:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would say you have air entering the system on the suction side of the pump.
Make sure the FW tank is not empty. City water will not prime your pump.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:16 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
If there is a leak on the inlet side of the pump it well suck air instead of leak water. So like TG Twinkie said above use city water and test your system if it works correctly then find your suction leak that feeds the pump. It well be between the pump and the fresh water tank.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
I hooked up as advised, no more spurting, (eventually).I turned on water pump after no mote spurting. I turned off each tap. Dumped grey water as it was almost full. Water, albeit a trickle, continues to come out & pump continues to run. Fresh water tank full. Where should I look?
Old 08-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The water pump contains a pressure switch and a check valve. When the pressure comes up the pump cuts off. You have a water leak in the system or an air leak before the pump or a bad pump and check valve. There is also a check valve near the water inlet in the trailer that holds the pressure from the pump. That check valve could be leaking back through the water inlet. One way to check if it is the check valve near the inlet is to put a sealed cap on the inlet and try again. I would hook the trailer up to city water and be sure the WH is filled and the system is purged of air. Then disconnect the hose and put the cap on the inlet. The try the pump to see if it holds pressure.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Where is the water coming out?
Check the low point drains.
The pump will continue to run if the pressure switch is not satisfied.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
No water leaking that I can tell. Just fired up water heater & that is working.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Pump shut off also...so I guess it is ok.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Hopefully you filled the water heater before you started it. Are you getting hot water?