Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we have had many leaks since day1

under bathroom sink- from crimped fitting

elbow behind shower wand. - plastic elbow cracked and has been getting all panels wet
now we need AS the replace soaked panels
leaks from the grey tank
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post

elbow behind shower wand. - plastic elbow cracked and has been getting all panels wet
leaks from the grey tank

I'd glad Airstream is doing well with sales, but they have to slow this down and at least do a full QC check on their trailers as they come off the line! Growing pains shouldn't be felt at the brunt of the customers.

If it were me I would be checking water fittings as they install them. I found a kinked fitting at the fresh water tank fill inlet which the dealer filled for my testing at the lot and there was subsequent water all over beneath our kitchen sink because of that one single fill. Thankfully I have seen no water under there since that.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #23
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:

leaks from the grey tank
Hi waninae39,*

We're very sorry to learn about the leaks you have had. Please do not hesitate to reach out so that we can escalate to our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 10-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
as needs better support lines

i called a few times today

option 1 1 2

each time i am left on hold for many minutes
then i am punted to VM

i ask for a call back, i never get a call back
Old 10-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
so sorry
dirksauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #26
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
i called a few times today

option 1 1 2

each time i am left on hold for many minutes
then i am punted to VM

i ask for a call back, i never get a call back
Hi Waninae39,

Please send us a private message with your information so that we can send it directly to our Customer Service and Technical Support team. Thank you.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #27
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msherw View Post
Good to see Airstream Inc is viewing these posts. Follow their advice. I had a bad water heater issue and finally went rogue. Bought the Dino board after 4 OEM failures. AS paid for the repair.

AS Inc wants your investment to be good. Talk to them.
Relorts of bad water heater boards seem to be far too common, yet the solution is amazingly simple. Order the water heaters minus the problematic boards at a reduced price, order the very reliable dinosaur boards one hundred at a time at a good price and fit them in the factory.
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #28
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msherw View Post
I, like you, am not impressed with dealerships. But Airstream Inc wants to 'make it right'. Go direct to them. Call or email Customer Support. Be sure you have your VIN and any dealer paperwork for service at the ready.

You say they want to make things right by belatedly correcting at great expense and inconvenience to the customer, basic construction and equipment faults that should never have made it out of the factory gates.
Jus this one thread details multiple water heater and body and internal water leakage AND repeated failures to follow up or resolve customers' requests fir help and remediation.
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Don’t they have a bad lemon law regarding RVs. With so many things wrong on a brand new unit I would be wanting and demanding a new one . At this price point. I warrantee is wonderful. But this early in the game not so good. Best of luck hope they replace your unit. I can imagine how frustrating it must be. Knowing how excited one is in their first Airstream purchase.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #30
Silver Twinkie

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Massachusetts
Disappointed

I have had some service work done at North Trail myself and they are better by far than RV 1 in the Orlando area where I bought mine. I won’t bore anyone with details but the word nightmare would be used in describing the RV 1 Superstore experience.

Neither are what I would expect from such a quality-built RV dealer. In both case's I had to bring it back a second time because bad service work. It doesn't seem there is much factory training provided to either of these dealers. So sorry of the problems with your new AS. I had supersizing issues with my new 2016 FC 23 FB as well but not as bad as your story. Very disappointing I'm sure. It's good that I like the camper as much as I do but I'd be hesitant to buy a new one as it seems AS QC has been asleep at the wheel.
runningbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #31

Pearce , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Relorts of bad water heater boards seem to be far too common, yet the solution is amazingly simple. Order the water heaters minus the problematic boards at a reduced price, order the very reliable dinosaur boards one hundred at a time at a good price and fit them in the factory.
With all this talk of water heater problems and just the weight of carrying a tank of water around.....why doesn't Airstream install tankless propane water heaters in the trailers?
pianomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
$$

A decent tankless water heater costs about 3 times what a 6-gallon Atwood conventional water heater costs.
That said, the first upgrade we made was to eliminate the 50 pounds of heater and water and install a PrecisionTemp 500 series tankless. DW loves her long hot hotel showers. Priceless...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #33
Jwf
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2018 33' Classic
Ashburn , VA
A few issues too

My wife and I bought a new 2017 FB Serenity. AC was bad from day one but we bought in October and couldn't tell. Or first clue was when the heat pump was doing more to cool the trailer than warm it. Then we saw all the posts about Dometic and bad units coming from the factory.

Then we had hardware latches that broke or stripped out of the wood a missing rivet a squeaky floor and a broken latch on the dining table leg. It was a pain to have to take it back to Airstream of VA but their tech was top notch and took care of everything and even going above and beyond in some cases.

I guess in this case it was the dealer and not AS where the quality showed.
Jwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Orlando , Florida
Glad AS wants to help

I know it’s not AS direct fault that the water heater failed, AS gets them I’m sure directly from manufacture. Many manufacturers and distributors are purchasing and having their products built and or assembled in China. The savings are substantial but unfortunately the quality is not there yet. Since Dometic, Coleman, Magic Chef and many other companies continue to switched to Chinese manufactured parts and appliances quality has gone down and recalls and malfunctions have gone up significantly. What it cost to buy the seemingly identical part from China is pennies on the dollar. Let me give you one example, an oil filter is sold to retailers for about 25¢ but sold for $7-$9 I love AS and I know they have a parent company and stock holders to answer to but a $100,000 Airstream in my opinion should have the best technology and quality and be as reliable and trustworthy as a Lexus
CampingJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Nobody makes a camper that doesn't leak somewhere. If you've got one that doesn't leak now then its just a matter of time. Part of the maintenance on RVs.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
IMHO, if I was the AS CEO, i would have a short list of 2-3 main suppliers for each major item. i would hold the OEM feet to the fire to ensure they maintain or increase quality and lower prices over time ( all the major auto makers do this)

for example, if there was a bad batch of water heaters, i would stop using that OEM and use the other two.

if the market was big enough, i would work with other trailer firms to get std of major parts. that way , switching to another oem supplier does not require a redesign

that would be a win-win-win
Old 10-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #37
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningbear View Post
I have had some service work done at North Trail myself and they are better by far than RV 1 in the Orlando area where I bought mine. I won’t bore anyone with details but the word nightmare would be used in describing the RV 1 Superstore experience.

Neither are what I would expect from such a quality-built RV dealer. In both case's I had to bring it back a second time because bad service work. It doesn't seem there is much factory training provided to either of these dealers. So sorry of the problems with your new AS. I had supersizing issues with my new 2016 FC 23 FB as well but not as bad as your story. Very disappointing I'm sure. It's good that I like the camper as much as I do but I'd be hesitant to buy a new one as it seems AS QC has been asleep at the wheel.
Hi runningbear,*

We're very sorry to learn about the experience you had at the dealership. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us for assistance.

Thank you.*
Old 05-03-2020, 05:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
We picked our New 2019 Sport 22FB on Wednesday and towed it home and parked it. We chose the 2019 because it is narrower to better suit our Ridgeline Tow Vehicle.

Today we went in to check things out and found water running down the wall beneath the emergency exit window next to the bed. Upon further inspection it seems that the weather stripping is nearly gone at the bottom of the window. The window is also not fitting well resulting in a lot of pressure on the red handles to the frame causing deformation of the frame.

The lower screen might be interfering with the window preventing contact with the frame as well. It was hanging off the window when I opened it and nearly feel off.

The inner window trim is not well attached revealing a large space between the trim and the inner trailer wall (~1/2" to 3/4" gap) with insulation sticking out.

We haven't tested any of the water systems yet, I really hope those connections don't leak!

We were not very happy to see the water coming in at this window and our excitement of our first Airstream has definitely been tarnished.

Now our concern has shifted to possible mold issues! I am going to put the dehumidifier in the trailer and leave it running to help slow down this possibility.

The AS dealership that we bought the trailer from is about 400 kms (250 miles) away from us so going to see them will have to wait a bit until we can take the time off to drive up there.

This seems like a rather obvious QC miss or perhaps a Friday afternoon trailer build!

This looks like a mess. You can see light coming through on one of the photos. What's with the insulation sticking out in the big gaps? The staining on the wall indicates a long term problem and the plastic mattress wrapper had this same discolouration. The mattress seems dry and otherwise fine.

Water is sitting in the lower blind extrusion!
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirksauer View Post
so sorry

Send an email to Randy McNeeley, Manager if Owner Relations. Approaching the end of my 2year warranty (2018 Classic 33) and more days in repair than camping, I asked for an extension of my warranty. Randy immediately added another year to my original warranty. Worth a shot.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
dirksauer, our trailer came with a 3 year warranty. We are 6 days into ownership so maybe we need to send it back and get another one!

If they patch this up, I am sure that it will be a source of leaks while we own it and we don't need that. With all the rain we get here, we will have to deal with a wet mattress and bed coverings and mold.

The window frame is tweaked and will need to be replaced like new.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote