Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Henderson , Nevada
TV upgrade

We've got a 2007 19' Bambi, with originally installed non digital Sony TV.

It hadn't been too much of an issue as we don't use the TV much anyways and when we do it is in a campground with cable.

Last week while camping at WDW, I noticed that we could only get about 5-10 of the available channels even after reprogramming/re channelization. Some channels were video only, no audio.

So I guess it's time to upgrade the TV. The floor plans for new 19' Flying Clouds are identical to our Bambi and the images/brochures show the same TV mounting point above the refrigerator, so AS must have updated the TV but kept the same location.

Question 1: any older Bambi owners updated the old Sony TV but kept the same mount/location successfully? What model and size TV did you use?

Question 2: can any new 19' Flying Cloud owners list the model and size of the TVs in their units? Brochures advertise a 22" LED HDTV. I'd like to see if I can get something that matches a factory install.

Thanks
rmax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't think a new television will solve the problem.
We have similar issues with a 2013 Classic with Samsung TV's.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The TV mounts are pretty universal and there are adapters available, if needed. You might want to look at the Jensen TV's as they are made for RV's and are 110/12 volt so you can use while boondocking.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Sorry but I do not have a Bambi but I did change out my original Sony which was non digital for a Visio. I have had zero problems with it in the 5 years I have had it. I got one the same overall size and it was a simple mount and forget experience. I get very good reception on it and, depending on where I am, get HD quality picture from the antenna.

I looked into the Jensen but it was considerably more expensive. I have a converter in my 25FB and so when I want to watch the TV I simply plug it into the provided outlet next to the TV. I don't watch much TV at all so it is not a big deal to have the 12 volt capability out of the box.

I picked mine up from COSTCO at a decent price.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
TV upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I don't think a new television will solve the problem.
We have similar issues with a 2013 Classic with Samsung TV's.

I'm in agreement here. There are a couple of things to check 1st...

Is the switch turned on to provide DC power to the amp in the antenna?

Get your ladder out to get access to the coax connection on the antenna head. Inspect the cable. Does the exposed sections appear cracked or badly weathered? Remove the connector from the head. Was it secure? Does it look corroded? If you have a volt meter or test light, verify there is 12V at the end of the coax with the switch on, don't short the center lead to the outer ring. Some installers put a rubber boot over the connector to keep out rain. I like dielectric grease.

Useful digital TV signals generally don't propagate as far as the analog signals they replaced so reception issues are common as one adds distance from the transmitters. The nature of digital transmission is you either get excellent reception or nothing useful. There's no in between.

Most TV antennas are directional; they work best when aimed towards the transmitter. Here's the Catch-22: For a channel scan to be successful, the antenna needs to be pointed first. In unfamiliar territory it is hard to know the correct direction to aim without an app on a smartphone or other means to determine where the transmitters are. Many campgrounds give you a map of the campsites at check-in that lists the local channels, but I've not yet seen one that has an arrow on the map pointing towards the transmitters. Your fellow campers may have done most of the work for you so by looking at where theirs are pointed, you should take their lead and start there. There are pointing meters on the market that can assist by showing signal strength as the antenna is rotated, point the antenna where the signal appears strongest, then run the scan. This can sometimes be trial and error. If you're in luck, all the desired channels will be in a cluster in one direction from you. Sometimes they might be at right angles from your location so in those cases you may have to settle for watching only some or repositioning the antenna as you change channels. It all depends on how close and strong the transmitters are and any physical obstructions such as hills or big trees that may degrade your reception.

On your Sony and many other brands, there is a menu option that displays signal strength for a given channel. By using it you can fine tune the antenna's direction for the best position if your video pixelates or freezes. Sometimes satisfactory reception is not possible short of relocating to higher ground.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The OP has a non-digital TV. They will not receive any digital signal without a converter box, hence his desire to upgrade. Had to do the same.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
The OP has a non-digital TV. They will not receive any digital signal without a converter box, hence his desire to upgrade. Had to do the same.

I assumed the op was using a converter box as the channel scan was mentioned. A TV with a builtin digital tuner can simplify things with fewer connections, but the bottom line is receiving digital TV in rural areas is not as easy as it was with analog transmissions.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Henderson , Nevada
Thanks for all the tips.

We can't use the TV on this Bambi unless we're plugged into shore power, so a DC option isn't all that important. When we're at places that don't have utilities, it is usually a place where we wouldn't want to be watching TV anyways.

The TV is definitely a non-digital tuner type. I remember the RV store we purchased it from advising us to get one of the subsidized digital converters shortly after we picked up the Bambi. Since TV wasn't a high priority, I never bothered.

Now we are experiencing poor channel selection when at campgrounds that provide full hookups. The channel scan I mentioned was the built-in function of the TV itself. Whenever we get to a new campground, I use the channel scan function to tune to the local cable provider. That used to be enough to get all listed channels at a particular park, but we noticed last week at WDW that of the 40-50 channels (including the 5 or so WDW info-channels) we only picked up a handful and non of the info-channels. I figured that it was due to the age and specs of the older non-digital tuner TV.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
There are a number of LED 12vdc TV's out there. Some come with an attached power supply that converts 120vac to 12vdc. I bought a 24" LED VIZIO with integral DVD player from Walmart for less than $150. I cut off the convertor and attached a cigar lighter plug which works perfectly in the 12vdc socket nearby so I don't need to run the generator when boondocking. This has been working great for several year now. This unit looks exactly like the Jenson that RV suppliers get $350 for.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If you are interested, I have an extra converter NIB that you can have for the postage.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
Flat panel TVs and monitors generally adhere to a standard called VESA, which specifies the threading of the bolts used to mount the monitor and the spacing of the mount holes. TV's in the 22" range most likely would be MIS-D which has four holes in a square pattern either 75mm or 100mm apart. Below is a picture of the back of the dinette TV from our 2014 FC 25.

There is a plate that mounts to the back of the TV via the 100mm VESA mount points. The pegs on the back of the plate then fit into slots in the mount attached to the wall. If your TV is on swivel arms, it may mount directly to the arms without an adapter plate.

This is a Samsung UN29F4000AF 29" diagonal, so it is a bit larger than the one you are replacing...check the spacing of the holes on yours to see which size your mount is designed for. You should be able to find a TV with mount points to match. Your mount may also support more than one size...note in the picture the mount plate on mine has holes for 75x75mm and 200x100mm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020004.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	209878  
kcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:12 AM   #12
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
I changed my 75th Bambi to a Samsung 32" LED that uses a minimum of power and actually weighs LESS than the original 19" Sony LCD. It is a 2011 model Samsung in their "Touch of Color" design which used a molded crystal plastic bezel; the newer ones are made MUCH cheaper and aren't nearly as sturdy for RV use; the newer smaller Samsungs literally snap together.

The new TV fits the space perfectly and with a tightening and adjustment of the supposed "non-adjustable" mount, it doesn't move. I mounted small handles on the back of the TV to use as tie-downs as I use small straps to hold it snug against the wall; I don't have pictures of that. It works; doesn't wobble or move whatsoever. My straps are probably overkill but the original TV broke loose on the mount before the trailer was ever sold beating the hell out of the wood behind it; Airstream replaced the wood under warranty and installed the newer style mount. I re-mounted the mount straight and installed the Samsung 32". No problems at all.

One neat thing is that the mount swings out FAR. I can actually swing the TV out the door! I should get a pic of that...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-05-19_04-02-08_926.jpg
Views:	1595
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	210676   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-19_04-04-42_377.jpg
Views:	1653
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	210677  

Name:	2013-05-19_04-02-27_486.jpg
Views:	1549
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	210678   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-19_04-04-03_934.jpg
Views:	1676
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	210679  

ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Henderson , Nevada
TV upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
If you are interested, I have an extra converter NIB that you can have for the postage.

Al

If the converter is still available I'll take you up on your offer! I think fitting a new TV in the same spot as the original will have to wait until the fall.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Sure, I'm not using it. Bad news is it runs from AC, not 12 volts. I didn't think about that. If you are still interested, send me your address.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #15
Camano Islander

2007 19' Bambi
1965 17' Caravel
Camano Island , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Sure, I'm not using it. Bad news is it runs from AC, not 12 volts. I didn't think about that. If you are still interested, send me your address.

Al
Hello,

I am also hoping to upgrade my 2007 Bambi TV. I saw your post and wondered if you had a solution for the mount arm, the mount screw holes are too far down to mount the TV cause it won't fit in the space above the fridge. Any suggestions
CamanoIsland is offline   Reply With Quote