Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Sport Upgrades

Hi All! So we just bought a 2017 '16 Sport and are super excited to take it out. As we get started, are there any must have mod's you would recommend / We've gotten 3 solar panels, rock guards and rear bumper but anything aftermarket that has been a lifesaver to include or just a nice touch-up to this great trailer?

Thanks!

Michael
righttoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Summit , New Jersey
There is a lady on the forum who makes very nice replacement window treatments. The color scheme on the 16 is a blank canvas. We added some nice color on the windows and then accessorized around them.
cirrusdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusdriver View Post
There is a lady on the forum who makes very nice replacement window treatments. The color scheme on the 16 is a blank canvas. We added some nice color on the windows and then accessorized around them.
Thanks - Do you remember her name? I'll look for her
Old 07-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There's a raft of accessory items that probably don't count as mods.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Care to recommend any you think are must-haves?
Old 07-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
San Diego and Julian , California
Hi Michael,
Congratulations on your new Bambi. We have a 16'er, too, and love it. In your upgrade list you did not mention a power jack. Hopefully you got one because they are pretty nice to have.
I cannot think of any other hard ware you might need, except you may want to switch out the Interstate battery at some time. We are a few weeks from our first anniversary in our Bambi and are installing a lithium battery before we head back out on the road.
The little closet is set up for hanging clothes on the hanger bar. It is a pretty inefficient way of storing clothes. If you install 4 or 5 wire closet racks in that space, you end up with storing your clothes in shelves. The three of us can store about 10-12 days worth of clothes in our shelves.
All you need for touch-ups is making the interior homey. Buy some real plates, good flatware and unbreakable glassware. A couple of coffee mugs and a tea pot is nice. Your new mattress is pretty comfy, but consider a 3-4 inch topper of your choice.
Other ways to make your interior comfortable is to think about color scheme in the decor. Since your walls by the sink are gray, decide on some complimentary colors to work with the gray. Buy, or make, some pillows, linen, towels in the style and color you chose. Lastly, get some pictures to hang on the walls using Command strips.
Enjoy the process.

Sandy
Old 07-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by righttoroam View Post
Care to recommend any you think are must-haves?
Hi

Heading off into accessories (as opposed to mods):

The most basic is a sanitary flush pipe / tube (stinky slinky). Many dealers toss these in. Next up is a fresh water rated hose plus a second hose. These plus some rubber gloves let you flush the tanks.

Filling up the tanks involves some pellets (one per tank fill) to reduce the stink. You also want "RV" toilet paper. A quick bit of instruction for all involved about what *not* to put down the drain is also a really good idea.

Wheel chocks are needed all the time. Leveling blocks are optional (until you get to that not level camp site ...).

A lug wrench that fits the wheel bolts on your trailer tires is a darn good thing to have. I carry a torque wrench and a breaker bar as well. A tire pressure gauge is a mush have. A 12V air pump that will get to whatever pressure your tires need. (Some will not make it past 50 lb ...) is very useful.

To me a cheap mat at the bottom of the steps is a "must have". You track a lot of gunk into the trailer even with one. It also comes in handy to kneel on changing tires. A broom and a mop like device are worth having. Paper towels and Purell should be easy to get to for cleanup after any of the many messy jobs you will get into.

A 30A to 15A adapter is handy. A circuit tester that will show open neutral is a "must have" to me. I'd put a surge protector on the list as well. A multimeter and some other basic tools (screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, wire strippers ...) probably should come along with you. Never leave home without a roll of duct tape

Kitchen stuff is a whole topic all on it's own. There are hundreds of great threads here that will lead you through all of that.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
Accessories that I have been wondering about concerns winterizing. The manual says to diconnect both sides of the fresh water pump to drain it and then use a hose to pump antifreeze through the lines. There's an accessory offered to simplify this but it does not look like there's enough room ahead of the pump to install the accessory. Does anyone else have this bypass hose on their Sport?
A 6 gallon air compressor would come in handy too.
Airabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Temp Minder https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...soijMX33jlAB4w
This will help you monitor your interior humidity. It's very accurate and instantly senses such things as boiling water/cooking and showering etc., We can know when to run the Fantastic Fan to exhaust humid air or run the AC, etc.

And AcuRite 00986A2 Refrigerator/Freezer Wireless Digital Thermometer

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QJVU78...a-273908654109
This monitors the freezer and refrigerator temps via a Bluetooth receiver (included) and works up to 100' away...(such as when sitting at home and it's out in the workshop, etc). But we keep the monitor on top of the refer and can easily see the interior temps of the freezer/refer anytime. It also has a warning-level which can be set to alert you to temps you don't like....AND it keeps a record of the highest and lowest temps observed since last "reset". One of the BEST items we've bought.
(While it suggests the use of AA lithium batteries...we've only used common alkaline and replaced them every year and has worked perfectly.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
These are great tips! Thanks so much!
Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
We just switched out the plastic fridge vents on the outside with stainless steel. This has stopped the leaks we had with these when it would rain. It was about 600 with parts and labor.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Adirondacks , New York
^ all the above advice ^

Keeping the floor clean is a constant chore - especially in the wet bath- a must have for us is a teak bath floor - lets all the dirt fall through - out of sight out of mind. we actually remove the floor to shower.

https://www.teakworks4u.com/collecti...nt=35032518606
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bath.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	289029  
BambiCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Andersen has a very easy to use leveler

The Andersen "Rapid jack" makes side to side leveling of the Bambi a breeze. Just back onto it until it is level, and chock it up. Andersen offers two that can work: The Andersen Leveler, and the Andersen Rapid Jack. They are similar, but the Leveler is made for leveling single and double axle trailers (often used in pairs), while the Rapid Jack goes higher and is made for jacking up a wheel on a double axle trailer. If you have a Bambi (single axle), either works, but the Rapid Jack has more potential height, so we went with that one. Be sure to chock the wheel properly when you have it leveled, as the trailer will want to roll down the jack.

https://andersenhitches.com/Products...apid-jack.aspx
larry9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiCamp View Post
^ all the above advice ^

Keeping the floor clean is a constant chore - especially in the wet bath- a must have for us is a teak bath floor - lets all the dirt fall through - out of sight out of mind. we actually remove the floor to shower.

Love that look and the suggestion - thanks!
Old 07-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
^ all the above advice ^

We just bought this, too! Excited to put it in our Airstream! Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:22 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Adirondacks , New York
recent additions.... folding broom dust pan at door .....folding cup holder and usb port suction cup fan at bedroom .... folk art wall pocket at bedroom ..... wire shelves at closet .... step stool for dog (tool box for linen storage) under bed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	290200   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	290201  

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	290202   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic4.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	290203  

Name:	pic5.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	290204  
BambiCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #17
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
Quote:
^ all the above advice ^

Ah, THIS is the thread where I saw about the teak floor mat. I bought one when I saw this thread, even before I had the Airstream because the website had dire warnings about delivery time (it actually arrived very quickly). THIS is the single most valuable idea I got from these forums about how to make my Airstream livable... I would be so much less happy without the teak mat to take out when I shower and the put back in after the shower to have a Dry Floor!
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I find that the bathroom floor stays very clean from the 3 of us showering daily and all the soap and water that runs across it. As far as keeping it dry goes I always make sure the front of the trailer is just slightly lower. That way the shower always completely drains.
We have a nine year old boy who doesn't always have the greatest aim. Fiberglass is much easier to keep sanitary then porous teak.
Shiny16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
West Bend , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAndVin View Post
Hi Michael,
Congratulations on your new Bambi. We have a 16'er, too, and love it. In your upgrade list you did not mention a power jack. Hopefully you got one because they are pretty nice to have.
I cannot think of any other hard ware you might need, except you may want to switch out the Interstate battery at some time. We are a few weeks from our first anniversary in our Bambi and are installing a lithium battery before we head back out on the road.
The little closet is set up for hanging clothes on the hanger bar. It is a pretty inefficient way of storing clothes. If you install 4 or 5 wire closet racks in that space, you end up with storing your clothes in shelves. The three of us can store about 10-12 days worth of clothes in our shelves.
All you need for touch-ups is making the interior homey. Buy some real plates, good flatware and unbreakable glassware. A couple of coffee mugs and a tea pot is nice. Your new mattress is pretty comfy, but consider a 3-4 inch topper of your choice.
Other ways to make your interior comfortable is to think about color scheme in the decor. Since your walls by the sink are gray, decide on some complimentary colors to work with the gray. Buy, or make, some pillows, linen, towels in the style and color you chose. Lastly, get some pictures to hang on the walls using Command strips.
Enjoy the process.

Sandy
Sandy, I'm wondering what type/brand of "wire racks" you use? I bought hanging fabric compartments (I think most people typically use them for storing shoes) but much of what I store in them, (clothes and towels, chips and boxed foods) falls out in transit.
Lonekingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
San Diego and Julian , California
Hello Lonekingfish,

I do not remember the brand of wire shelf racks we used for the closet, but we bought them at Lowe's. You will need two depths. A 12" for the bottom shelf leading away from the water heater box, and deeper sets for the remaining shelves.

Name:	IMG_2387.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	296422Buy shelves with a lip so your clothes do not slide off the shelf while towing. The lip keeps the stack of clothes, or whatever, in place.
You will buy the shelves in a long piece and will have to cut it down to fit the width of your closet. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	296419

Then buy lots of plastic "j" brackets to hold up the shelves. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2385.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	296420

Name:	IMG_2386.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	296421

After you select your drill bit to make the screw holes for the brackets, be sure to measure the thickness of the closet wall. Reduce that measurement amount a little and place a piece of masking tape on your drill bit at that depth. Your tape serves as a guide so you do not run the risk of running your drill clear through to the other side of the wall.

Name:	IMG_2388.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	296424Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2390.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	296425

Name:	IMG_2391.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	296426

The last thing to do is install a couple wire baskets down low. Waalaa you are done.