Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
Sport 2018 22fb

Hi, i am new here and i hope i don’t bother anybody with my questions. I moved from berlin, Germany to florida 2 years ago and i love the United States. My dream was always to see more than florida. This is why i ordered and airstream 22fb in December. AS said delivery will be in April. When i ordered the sport the salesperson said the sport comes with the fantastic fan but without rain sensor and the llight switch for the ceiling light had no dimming function. The new manual says different. The manual says the lights are dimmable and the fantastic fan has a rain sensor. My question is: did AS made improvements on the 2018 model or is the AS manual incorrect? I hope my English was good enough to follow. Thanks for replying. Dirk
dirksauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Good question and fine English. I don’t know but I would contact the sales person and tell him about the conflicting information and have him find the correct answer for you. This is his responsibility!

Happy travels, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Suggestion - have the dealer install a Fantastic Fan Vent hood. It is a cover that allows the vent lid to open, but covers the area to keep the rain out. If you get a dark one, it will screen some of the morning light so you can sleep a bit longer.

Congratulations on the new coach and the plan to see a bit of our country. Hope to see your smile down the road some day. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:58 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
Thanks Pat and Dan for the quick answers. I contacted my salesman and will keep you posted. The sport22fb didn’t have the rain sensor and the dimmer in December 2017
Old 03-06-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The 22 Sport does not have rain sensor or power lid, though there is a kit from Atwood that will provide those functions. The LED lighting does not have a dimming switch from the factory, though each LED can be turned on and off individually.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:35 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
Thanks so much, but why is it described in the official sport 22fb manual jan.18???
Old 03-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
I contacted airstream and see what they say. A high quality company should stand behind their products but if they describe something in their official manual that doesn’t exist wouldn’t be a cool thing. Let’s see what they say
Old 03-06-2018, 08:09 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
Airstream apologizes for the wrong manual, but what really bothers me is when you make a big investment in a a brand new sport you expect what you ordered and especially the fantastic fan with a rain sensor was a major point for me. So my airstream adventure starts with a big issue. I even traded my macan turbo in to get the right TV. I am really not happy, cant believe that AS makes mistakes like this
Old 03-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Based on reviews here you may not even want the rain sensor anyway, especially in a humid environment like the southeast of the US...as it often detects moisture as rain and turns off/closes. Adding a vent cover is a better solution anyhow, as then you can use the vent when it is raining if you so desire.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
Thanks to all of you. AS contacted me immediately and is trying to fix things. I think they are a great company. I keep you posted
Old 03-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Too bad you dumped the Macan for a truck, but that's a discussion that takes wine to cover properly. We have a video of a midsize VW towing a coach similar to ours through the Avenue of the Giants in the Redwoods off 101.

We were bummed that our coach did not have bi-directional fans to allow venting when the door and windows are closed. On a visit to the factory a lady explained, that she installed a new bi-directional switch to modify her fan so it had that capability. The older coaches used that switch as a standard feature. The RV life is that way. As long as you take care to not kill your warranty, you can change things to your satisfaction. Learning the skills to repair and upgrade your coach makes the experience much better as well.

Best wishes to enjoy your adventure and generate lots of smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirksauer View Post
Airstream apologizes for the wrong manual, but what really bothers me is when you make a big investment in a a brand new sport you expect what you ordered and especially the fantastic fan with a rain sensor was a major point for me. So my airstream adventure starts with a big issue. I even traded my macan turbo in to get the right TV. I am really not happy, cant believe that AS makes mistakes like this
Welcome, Dirksauer! (Welcome to Airstream...and WELCOME to the U.S.!)

And your English is magnificent, especially when compared to my German!

As for the errors/omissions in the Airstream Manuals... YES, as an aircraft technician I am very disturbed and unhappy with the Airstream Manuals. The Parts Manual, the Service Manual, and the Owner's Manual are ALL...replete with errors and omissions. It appears that older manuals were re-printed for newer models, without correct editing. Airstream has also changed appliance suppliers and models without updating manuals.

One of the things I've always noticed about Germans is their appreciation of technical accuracy and quality. I hope you can be "forgiving" with regard to Airstream. While Airstreams are so much better than most other brands of RV/Travel-Trailer.... they are also driven to increased production and seem to overlook many details which can be frustrating for someone seeking technical accuracy. I hope you can enjoy it for what it is.

Kind regards,
George
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
Thanks pat and george for your kind words. I am so grateful to be a oart of our great country.
When i first looked at the other brands on rv Shows is was interested in buying because the price was so much lower. But the first time i have seen the airstream it blew ne away. ( the salesprice as well) Especially the new globetrotter. But you get what you paid for. So i said to myself airstream or nothing thanks again for all the nice comments. Dirk
Old 03-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

North port , Florida
I meant part of our great country