Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2021, 11:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
MIDDLETOWN , RI
Shower drain leaking 2014 22' Sport

Anyone access/fix a leaking Sport shower drain?

I am a week into using my Sport that was been in unheated storage in San Antonio (remember last winter was super cold down here!!!) for almost a year. I did have the Sport winterized.

I noticed a small drip on to the ground under the shower, near the stabilization jack, from between overlapping floor pan sheets. I called the shop in RI that added a rear bumper for me a couple years ago, and the shop owner recommended poring water with food coloring in the shower drain. I did this last night and BINGO the dripping water is the same color as food coloring.

I looked underneath the closet and there is no dampness there.

Seems obvious the Sport wasn't winterized correctly but I have no interest in fighting with that shop.

Youtube has a clip showing full pan removal on a really old Airstream. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

Is this something I can fix myself?

Thoughts?
GaryRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Here is a diagram for my 2019 Sport. Should be the same. You can see the shower connection and trap. My initial thoughts are that the pipes are accessible by dropping the belly pan under the shower.

Hope this make sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6363EC74-DB22-4182-B541-27848E3FF9BE.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	408744   Click image for larger version

Name:	9A040BE6-C012-45EE-80E3-0E9FB0E27D80.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	408745  

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
MIDDLETOWN , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
Here is a diagram for my 2019 Sport. Should be the same. You can see the shower connection and trap. My initial thoughts are that the pipes are accessible by dropping the belly pan under the shower.

Hope this make sense.
the floor plan for mine is the same and I have seen this diagram. I have ordered a new drain trap and am going to try this myself. I posted his to the "shower/plumbing" sub forum with no response. I will post pictures of my repair efforts
Old 04-18-2023, 07:07 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Garibaldi Highlands , British Columbia
Did you do it?

I just started having the same issue a week into my trip in my 20 1822 foot sport. Did you ever end up fixing yours was a difficult.?
Squampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 07:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
So I have been dealing with a leak in the shower too! I noticed the shower wand was dripping so I put it in a rubbermaid container and after a day running around we got back to find the rubbermaid almost full. So I located a Delta mixing valve and tried to install it. The size was right but the fittings all leaked and water appeared at the base of the shower on the floor. I tried more teflon tape but still couldn’t get the fittings tight enough. It turned out that the rubber seals were not in the fittings. I got some new rubbers and out them in. I still need to pressurize the system to test it.

I suggest that you check the back of the mixing valve to see if that is where the water is coming from. Water does appear on the floor and could actually appear coming out under the shower floor. You can access this by removing the little cover near the entrance door.

Old 04-18-2023, 11:22 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
It sounds like you need a new shower cartridge. I did this last year. The dealer should be able to get if for you. Getting the old one out is tricky but the new one goes in easily.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:15 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
MIDDLETOWN , RI
Problem was just the drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squampton View Post
I just started having the same issue a week into my trip in my 20 1822 foot sport. Did you ever end up fixing yours was a difficult.?
My repair guy just removed the drain and replaced washers and o rings and the drip went away
Old 04-19-2023, 04:18 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
MIDDLETOWN , RI
shower cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squampton View Post
It sounds like you need a new shower cartridge. I did this last year. The dealer should be able to get if for you. Getting the old one out is tricky but the new one goes in easily.
Agree. Get new showerhead and flexible line from an Airstream online parts dealer. I had this problem too. Can't remember which one I used
Old 04-19-2023, 01:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
After looking up the brand of mixing valve that Airstream used, I decided to get a Delta valve. It fit and along with a new face plate and handle, it goes together like the old one.

The issue I had was that the rubber washers that reside in the twist on fittings were missing. I tried to make it work but couldn't get the fittings to seal. I added the washers and reinstalled so I just need to test with pressure and it should be good.

The Delta valve is guaranteed so I can get replacement internals forever!

We are at 3 years into this trailer now so I expect to continue replacing things like this until I get them all

Old 04-19-2023, 05:49 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Gary RI

Do you know if he went in from the bathroom under the shower or did he get in another way?