Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Seeking segment protector part number

Fellow Bambi owners:

I have a 2015 Sport 16 for which I am in search of segment protectors. It seems some have installed a "short" segment protector (picture 1) which I DO NOT want. I wish to have the "tall" or what I term, normal, segment protector (picture 2).

I have combed through threads on the forum and cannot find one that stipulates part numbers for the different segment protectors--that way I am sure which one my dealer is ordering.

Can anyone assist with your experience as to the part number for the "tall"/normal segment protectors as in the second photo?

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Incorrect segment protector height.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	406503  
Attached Images

MCM78LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
You can buy the taller Rock Guard (Segment Protector) from Airstream Jackson Center.

I bought a pair when we owned the 23 foot in the event we needed to replace those already installed. We were at ASJC having warranty work and thought it a good idea to get a spare set. After 8 years... they were still new with the white plastic wrap protecting the stainless steel. Hardware in separate bags.

Most of the single axles I see are like yours. Or absent.

After 8 years, the only rock debris made contact with the lower 15 inches. Those that were higher would be tossed from vehicles going the opposite direction on a two lane highway.

If you do get the taller panels are 23.5 inches center to center with the threaded bolt that comes out to attach the nut to the panel to secure. The hinges would be along the rivet line and drilled already. If your system is not 23.5 inches center to center... this is not going to be easy.

A middle bracket threaded bolt is 28.5 inches above the TOP of the strip riveted to the aluminum skin.

You no doubt measured before considering the taller panels. If not... get out the tape measure.

I sold my duplicate pair for $500 or so after selling the 23 foot. It had all of the screws and hardware that came from ASJC.

If you are worried about errant stones... add mud flaps to your tow vehicle. You may not find a buyer for the shorter panels, but I have seen many single axles with NO Rock Guards. Advertise them on the Airforums... and tell the dealer you want the carton.

It does not look any better or worse with either.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I agree with Ray that rock damage is pretty much centered on the lower beltline to maybe 6" above. However I put some large sturdy mudflaps on my truck so maybe that helps. Been pulling my trailer about 40k including to Alaska and back. Though a larger protector might protect against rocks tossed up by opposing traffic.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Seeking part number

Thanks both for your input and fast responses. I am only seeking the right part number--haven't placed the order yet, and already run with a set of Rock Tamers.

Anyone out there that can help with a part number for the taller segment protectors pictured in the second photo?

Many thanks!
Old 10-18-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
PennTexan

2021 20' Basecamp
Centerville , Texas
Not sure if these are the tall ones, but you can call Airstream and ask:
Road side: 966277
Curb side: 966276
Or call Highskyrv parts which has these for sale online.

Good luck!
Poconotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Search the Internet...

Airstream Rock Guards
Airstream Rock Guards and Hardware
Airstream Trailers Parts up to 75% Off

I do not need a Rock Guard. You do.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #7
PennTexan

2021 20' Basecamp
Centerville , Texas
The part number for the complete assembly of both segment protectors is:
109325-100. The 966xxx part numbers I listed above for each segment appear in the parts diagram for the 2017 Bambi sport. Hope this was helpful.
Poconotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:29 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Airstream Rock Guards
Airstream Rock Guards and Hardware
Airstream Trailers Parts up to 75% Off

I do not need a Rock Guard. You do.
Ray, for the small trailer there is conflicting info online when I do search, hence the initial question. Both tall and short panels have been sold, and 16 foot owners have believed, even on this forum, to have purchased tall ones only to pick up their trailer disappointed. So, it's a thing.

I thought these forums were to be a resource for one another, which is why I reached out when I couldn't locate definitive info.

If you don't have a part number to share, don't respond and assume those of us posting are just lazy.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:31 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poconotexan View Post
The part number for the complete assembly of both segment protectors is:
109325-100. The 966xxx part numbers I listed above for each segment appear in the parts diagram for the 2017 Bambi sport. Hope this was helpful.
Super helpful! At least that confirms what is the part number for the 16' Caravels.

Appreciate you taking the time to share. Stay safe out there!
Old 11-07-2021, 09:33 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Correct segment protector part number - at last

Bambi friends, my segment saga continued....

For install during a fall check-up, my local AS renovation and maintenance place called AS customer service in Jackson Center for the correct part number for my VIN, and ordered that part. About 60 days before my check-up, the segment protectors matching that part number were shipped out. When I arrived in mid-October we found out they were the SMALL ONES! After additional shipping charges and some grace from the supplier, the desired taller ones arrived, and were installed successfully. I am now thrilled to have the additional taller protection, but my wallet isn't so thrilled.

As Poconotexan shared, the correct part number for the TALL segment protectors is 109325-100 (NOT -102). I hope this information will be helpful to another 16 or 19 AS'er who wants to add the tall segment protectors and avoid a surprise. Pic showing my 16' AS with her new "chaps" below...

Click image for larger version

Name:	New chaps2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	407662

Safe travels to all!