Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Replacing Microwave w/ Convection Oven

Hi - My wife and I never use the microwave but would use a convection oven or toaster oven. Has anyone tried to replace the stock microwave on the 2017 '16 Sport with either of these options? If so do you have any recommendations or tips as we look into this?

Thanks!
righttoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Something to think about:

Would you be happier with a small toaster oven and the space used by the microwave converted to storage of some sort?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
We want to replace the microwave with a convection oven
Old 07-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
One thing you'll have to take into account is heat. A convection oven produces/releases a lot more heat to its surroundings than a microwave oven does. This can pose a hazard if not properly addressed. It may require adding a fan to kee the area around the unit cool.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have a 2017 Classic, came with Micro/Convection and an oven. We are considering reversing the OP's plan and taking the combination out and putting in just a micro. One point made by JiJoeSilver is spot on. The Convection when in use gets so hot it's uncomfortable to touch the counter above it, which is a solid surface, no added fan(s) put in by AS, just significant heat build up so we hardly use it at all.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:37 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Maybe we just aren't very good at noticing things. Neither of us has noticed the microwave getting the counter above it hot. We use it mostly as a microwave so that may be the key.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I'm not sure why participants seem to drift or hijack threads so quickly and easily. Righttoroam has made a decision and asked a simple question and all he's got so far is contrary opinions about microwaves and toasterovens.

Righttoroam: I have not done as you suggest, but I also have considered the idea. When we bought our lightly-used 22' Sport the existing/oem convection MW did not work. We replaced it with a Samsung convection/MW.
We have used it almost exclusively as a MW, however the one or two times we used the convection or broiler functions it overheated and shut down. It's my opinion it is not designed for "built-in" service and needs more air circulation surrounding it.
My plan is to build a sheet-metal enclosure with a power-vent/fan to pull air from the cabin thru the surrounding ventilation-ports of the oem sheet-metal surround/frame. I plan to exhaust that warmed air via duct-hose to the adjacent refer upper vent-door. I hope this is a good solution for us because I also am slightly intimidated about the idea of converting to an ordinary oven coupled with the loss of a MW. (I like to quickly heat up a cup of coffee and also like to warm plates before serving food on them, and the MW is the best way of doing that IMO.)
Keep us posted on any solution you discover on such a conversion so we can learn from your experience.
I am confident that you'll need to install an exterior exhaust, either side-mounted and/or overhead and perhaps power-vented if you do this conversion.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I'm not sure why participants seem to drift or hijack threads so quickly and easily. Righttoroam has made a decision and asked a simple question and all he's got so far is contrary opinions about microwaves and toasterovens.

Righttoroam: I have not done as you suggest, but I also have considered the idea. When we bought our lightly-used 22' Sport the existing/oem convection MW did not work. We replaced it with a Samsung convection/MW.
We have used it almost exclusively as a MW, however the one or two times we used the convection or broiler functions it overheated and shut down. It's my opinion it is not designed for "built-in" service and needs more air circulation surrounding it.
My plan is to build a sheet-metal enclosure with a power-vent/fan to pull air from the cabin thru the surrounding ventilation-ports of the oem sheet-metal surround/frame. I plan to exhaust that warmed air via duct-hose to the adjacent refer upper vent-door. I hope this is a good solution for us because I also am slightly intimidated about the idea of converting to an ordinary oven coupled with the loss of a MW. (I like to quickly heat up a cup of coffee and also like to warm plates before serving food on them, and the MW is the best way of doing that IMO.)
Keep us posted on any solution you discover on such a conversion so we can learn from your experience.
I am confident that you'll need to install an exterior exhaust, either side-mounted and/or overhead and perhaps power-vented if you do this conversion.
Thanks for this - really helpful!

So we talked to Airstream Los Angeles and our tech said adding an RV rated convection oven in the place of the Sport 16' microwave is possible so long as it has a front exhaust. Will continue to dive deeper on this and if we go through with it will follow up with how it works.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
I have extensive experience with the Sharp and now the Contoure convection micros and have not noticed excessive heat build while cooking a roast or baking a cake and they both work excellent to toast bagels and such, oh yes the micro works as well.

It is very difficult to find these units on your own. They are small (.7cf) on purpose, so there is an air gap around them after install. I just bought a Contoure from AS, if you are upgrading from just plain micro you may have to get the front shroud from AS also.

Good luck!
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by righttoroam View Post
Thanks for this - really helpful!

So we talked to Airstream Los Angeles and our tech said adding an RV rated convection oven in the place of the Sport 16' microwave is possible so long as it has a front exhaust. Will continue to dive deeper on this and if we go through with it will follow up with how it works.
The problem I think you will experience is the heat vented to the cabin will be uncomfortable and will overwork your AC.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
I have extensive experience with the Sharp and now the Contoure convection micros and have not noticed excessive heat build while cooking a roast or baking a cake and they both work excellent to toast bagels and such, oh yes the micro works as well.

It is very difficult to find these units on your own. They are small (.7cf) on purpose, so there is an air gap around them after install. I just bought a Contoure from AS, if you are upgrading from just plain micro you may have to get the front shroud from AS also.

Good luck!
Reviving an old thread here but do you remember when you installed the Couture how it was tethered to the cabinet. We’re you able to just reuse the stock attachments from the original microwave? Thanks for the info.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Reviving an old thread here but do you remember when you installed the Couture how it was tethered to the cabinet. We’re you able to just reuse the stock attachments from the original microwave? Thanks for the info.
The “stock attachments” are a joke. The MW/Convection simply sat on an unsupported, cantilevered shelf with the only thing preventing it from falling into the aisle was the sheet-metal surround designed to hide the gaps of installation.

When I replaced the failed MW in our ‘08 AS I shored-up the shelf with a 2x4 cut to size. I added a 1x1 strip of wood around the “feet” of the oven to prevent it from sliding around on the shelf.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
have you seen the breville smart oven?
https://www.breville.com/ca/en/produ...ns/bov900.html

its the size of a uwave.
13 smart cooking functions with air fry and dehydrate.
The Smart Oven Air for the cook who desires a counter top oven that can roast for large gatherings, air fry crispy French fries & family favorites and dehydrate a wide range of healthy foods.

The super convection setting reduces cooking time by up to 30% with great crispness.
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 11:48 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Watsonville , California
We have an '08 ocean breeze with a Tappan microwave. The Micro stopped heating. Any suggestions?
Would like to replace it with a Convection Micro.
Pete Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 11:57 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
aldinga beach , south australia
we ripped ours out and threw it..then flushed out hole with acaicia wood for a storage nook

99% of all cooking is outside on slide out cooktop and grill..

we avoid anything that needs to be cooked by microwaves and or city power..including ACClick image for larger version

Name:	20220306_165240.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	432129
baggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Here’s an update to my previous comments which were critical of the mw/convection installation we made to our Bambi…

This week my wife made Au Gratin Potatoes in it…and it did FANTASTIC!
(This is an attempt at humor)

We have discovered that our previous problems with overheating/shut-dn of the Convection-mode of our Samsung MW/Convection-Oven….were solved by the SIMPLE EXPEDIENT of ….. running the overhead FANTASTIC FAN simultaneously… which sucked cooling-air into/around the Samsung via the backside of the refrigerator-cabinet. Yep, it baked that Augratin dish perfectly without any difficulty whatsoever and no overheating…because the fantastic fan sucked air into/around/surrounding the MW/Oven and into the cabin…. We could feel the air rushing into the aisle via the ventilated sheet-metal frame of the MW. (The inside of the pantry into-which the MW is mounted has access to the reefer-vent-backside…allowing sufficient ventilation for the oven.).

Sooo…. The microwave function never had any issues…the only issue we had was the Samsung would self-shut-down due to insufficient air-circulation and heat-build-up because of that lack of circulation. Operating the overhead Fantastic Fan while using the convection-oven feature resolves the issue. Yaaaayyy…

PS: of course this requires the windows/doors to be closed for this method to work. We discovered it because we had the AC running so those doors/windows were closed. Previously, I had planned to install a boat bilge-blower-fan to accomplish this same circulation…. no need now.