Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Question about hot water switch ‘20 Bambi 22fb

I was told that I could actually leave the hot water switch on in the bathroom while I’m camping. Is this right? My hot water is heated by gas only.
Shane74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:34 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Seattle , Washington
Just responding from our experience. Perhaps you can keep the hot water heater on full time, but we don’t find it necessary. Our tank heats up very quickly and holds its heat for a long time. We turn it on 30 minutes before use and turn it off after use.
ChrisnPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:15 AM   #3
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisnPatty View Post
Just responding from our experience. Perhaps you can keep the hot water heater on full time, but we don’t find it necessary. Our tank heats up very quickly and holds its heat for a long time. We turn it on 30 minutes before use and turn it off after use.
I have to ditto this as we turn ours on appx 15-30 minutes before use then turn it off. Don't find the need to keep it on full-time.
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
You certainly can. I usually leave it on but try to turn it off at night. I don't like the sound that I hear around 4 AM in the morning. I get up, turn on the coffee, furnace and water heater, climb back in bed and wait for things to warm up.

We do actually turn off the heater when we are done using the hot water. It might save a teeny bit of propane.

What I think might be of more importance is to turn off your water pump when leaving. I am talking about when boondocking here. If you happen to spring a leak when you are gone the pump will run until the tank is empty. Where that water goes has everything to do with where the leak is. Actually you are supposed to turn off the water at the faucet when you are hooked up for the same reasons. This, I seldom do because I am pretty lazy and have a questionable memory.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
I've never tried leaving it on continuously. If you do, I assume that eventually it will turn off the burner?

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever witnessed it 'cycle off' on its own - it seems to just run and run and run. But surely here's a thermostat that will eventually tell the gas valve to shut off.
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Doughpat,
Yes, there is a thermostat and also a high pressure relief that will go “fwooosh!” if the thermostat fails. If they both fail, bye bye Bambi!
The water heater is a good system to get familiar with, maybe even read the manual. The wife still reminds me how she had to go without HW for a DAY! because I didn’t know a steady red panel light indicated a malfunction.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:30 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Why leave the water heater on all the time? When camping, you usually have an idea that you are going to be washing dishes or taking a shower a few minutes before you actually do. Keeping it on all the time uses propane and can be noisy.

In our trailer first guy up turns on the water heater so we all have nice hot water to get ready for the day. After breakfast it is turned off and left off until we need it again, usually dinner time (we often do simple sandwiches on paper plates for lunch, so no dishwashing necessary). Once the evening clean up is done, we shut it down for the night.

We learned the hard way, we've trailered for 40 years and had one trailer that had a pilot light that needed to be lit outside before you could use the water heater. Bother that, and also any wind at all blew the pilot light out and there was a lag before the propane stopped hissing. So, we'd light it just a few minutes before we needed it and make sure it was off and quiet before we'd leave.

When you just use it to heat the water you need, you'll have more fuel for cooking and heating!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote