Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2021, 12:21 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Exactly.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:49 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
I think Elvis has left the building...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
Airforums can also be an unstable exponential oscillation, like sway. One nudge, like a semi passing, from a single question involving hitches or TVs will rapidly grow into 8 pages of ever longer reply’s with no further input required from the OP. At some point the thread typically careens off the road too...
and taken Deb (OP) with him.

There’s been a lot of good, well thought out information posted here. I hope it helps her and others, and that she and her party can re-enter the RV’ing world with confidence and the knowledge to avoid future incidents.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:34 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by biyak269 View Post
We tow our 27FBC with a Ford Expedition and a Hensley hitch, and are very pleased. We’ve towed it in mountains, high winds, and winter conditions with no problems. We replaced our F250 with the Exped because the ride quality of the truck was terrible, and the long turning radius made parking the trailer a real challenge. The Exped fixed all of that, delivers better mileage, and is comfortable all the time.

BTW we had a near-rollover with a 7 month old AS when an ungreased wheel bearing from the factory failed, lost brake drum, wheel, and all, and swung us across a median, twisting the trailer like a beer can, destroying it. We were using a Reese hitch, and the damn thing didn’t work at all to control sway.

That’s when we went to the Hensley and will stay with it.
Glad you feel your Expedition works towing that 27. That is a great hitch for sure. Seems the Expedition payload would be too low, however, for that set up? What does your door jamb sticker say for max payload?

As for the F250 being a rough ride; in 2017, they changed the suspension...I drove a 2016 F250 model and it was night and day rougher driving then the 2017 F250 King Ranch model we ended up purchasing.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:41 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
Use your trailer brakes. There is a button you push on the controller. The braking trailer straightens up your tv.
susans69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
when we go down long/steep hills, we always use the As brakes first, so that it does not push the TV and start a jack knife. the brake controller is by my knee in the TV and easy to access

we can feel the AS pulling the TV and it starts to slow down when we engage the brakes. it it gradually

you will get the feel of how often and for how long
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
It should be clear that an ML350 is not a tow vehicle. Tongue weight, including a weight distribution hitch which the OP doesn't mention, and an obese couple in the front seats will pretty much fill up your payload. Wheelbase is just a tad more than a Toyota Camry. An F-150 or Dodge or Chevy 1500 is a minimum tow vehicle. Even the biggest SUVs, Expedition, Yukon XL, don't fully stand up to a half ton pickup. I put the safety of my family as the number one priority. You either get a tow vehicle or you give up Towing in my opinion. And yes, I'm feeling a bit harsh this morning.
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:00 PM   #87
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MileHi View Post
It should be clear that an ML350 is not a tow vehicle. Tongue weight, including a weight distribution hitch which the OP doesn't mention, and an obese couple in the front seats will pretty much fill up your payload. Wheelbase is just a tad more than a Toyota Camry. An F-150 or Dodge or Chevy 1500 is a minimum tow vehicle. Even the biggest SUVs, Expedition, Yukon XL, don't fully stand up to a half ton pickup. I put the safety of my family as the number one priority. You either get a tow vehicle or you give up Towing in my opinion. And yes, I'm feeling a bit harsh this morning.
Are you including 3/4-ton SUVs in your harsh judgement? Like a Ford Excursion or a Suburban 2500? If so, then please explain why.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Or a 1 ton van that tows beautifully?
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:39 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I just read another thread where an owner posted the specs and limits for his Chevy Tahoe from the door jamb sticker, and they were generally higher than my GMC Sierra 1500.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:32 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I just read another thread where an owner posted the specs and limits for his Chevy Tahoe from the door jamb sticker, and they were generally higher than my GMC Sierra 1500.
That would be interesting to see, but if your Sierra is loaded, like my 2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 was, could be so. Mine only had 1039 sticker max payload! I drove towing my 25's for 3 years before I understood actual payload on the sticker...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 05-11-2021, 04:56 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
That would be interesting to see, but if your Sierra is loaded, like my 2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 was, could be so. Mine only had 1039 sticker max payload! I drove towing my 25's for 3 years before I understood actual payload on the sticker...
My GMC is the lowest trim level Denali, if that makes sense. It has lots of luxury features, but it doesn't have some of the fancy stuff like 22" wheels, motorized running boards, etc. It has a max payload rating of 1,479 lbs. The hitch is rated at 700 lbs. for weight carrying, and 1,250 lbs. for weight distribution. Axles are rated at 3,950 lbs. each. Overall I think it's pretty reasonable for a luxury truck. The Denali trucks are nice because they have almost all of the features found in the max towing package, with the main exception being they don't have the heavy duty rear axle and springs. It has everything else, including the heavy duty locking rear differential, 3.42 axle ratio, auxiliary oil and transmission coolers, etc.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 05-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
My GMC is the lowest trim level Denali, if that makes sense. It has lots of luxury features, but it doesn't have some of the fancy stuff like 22" wheels, motorized running boards, etc. It has a max payload rating of 1,479 lbs. The hitch is rated at 700 lbs. for weight carrying, and 1,250 lbs. for weight distribution. Axles are rated at 3,950 lbs. each. Overall I think it's pretty reasonable for a luxury truck. The Denali trucks are nice because they have almost all of the features found in the max towing package, with the main exception being they don't have the heavy duty rear axle and springs. It has everything else, including the heavy duty locking rear differential, 3.42 axle ratio, auxiliary oil and transmission coolers, etc.
Nice; thats pretty good payload! No towing mirrors, likely however? Few years back I remember they did not include in that package? My friend had one of those 1500 Denali also,with the "Victronix" tail gate while he owned his Lance...but just sold both and purchased a new 28' FC and a new GM2500 Denali...visiting next week here in TX from CA...will be interesting to check his mileage.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #93
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Nice; thats pretty good payload! No towing mirrors, likely however? Few years back I remember they did not include in that package? My friend had one of those 1500 Denali also,with the "Victronix" tail gate while he owned his Lance...but just sold both and purchased a new 28' FC and a new GM2500 Denali...visiting next week here in TX from CA...will be interesting to check his mileage.
Towing mirrors are optional for the Denali. I added them after purchasing the truck. I think the truck is well suited for my 23FB and the cargo that I tend to carry. I usually camp with my wife and sometimes the dog, and we don't pack too much stuff. I've got a fishing trip coming up with my two sons next month, and they're both 6'5" and around 220 lbs. It's a boondocking trip, so we'll be packing the generator. They're also in their 20s, and like to drink beer, so that means a full Yeti cooler. Add it all up, and we don't have enough payload. They'll be following in my younger son's Jeep.

My next truck will be a Denali HD truck with a Diesel engine. It would be great for trips like I just described, and it would give me some extra capacity in the event that we decide to buy a bigger Airstream in the future. I'm in no rush to buy a new truck, but it will be and HD truck when the time comes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1680.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	578.9 KB
ID:	395338  

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 05-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
I have an AT4, and it has one of the Swiss-Army tailgates on it, I really like it....

Mine came with the brake controller, the in-dash trailer app, trailer tire monitoring, but it didn't come with tow mirrors nor the rear camera socket. I'll admit to not being fond of the blind spots that tow mirrors create... I wish the standard mirror could extend out, that'd be helpful...
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Palos Verdes Estates , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Wondering if you [the OP of this thread] are still following the discussion? Lots of good information IMO.

Hope you are recovering well from this traumatic event!

Cheers,
Yes we are hanging on to every comment! Thank you!
DebTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:53 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Excellent . . . thanks for chiming in!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendmary View Post
I'm sure you have all kinds of good advice, including accelerate out of the sway...but the main piece of good advice I got was from the cop, who gave us a speeding ticket. I said but we weren't even going the speed limit. He said the fact that we flipped the trailer indicated that we were driving at too high a speed for the conditions, regardless of the posted limit.

That was my lesson and I will pass it on...SLOW DOWN!
Slow down!

Amen. You CAN tow going 80 mph, which does NOT mean you should!

You may have 100,000 miles towing without an accident. You may be safe, or just LUCKY.

Going slower gives you more time to react and less likelihood of having an emergency in the first place.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Towing mirrors are optional for the Denali. I added them after purchasing the truck. I think the truck is well suited for my 23FB and the cargo that I tend to carry. I usually camp with my wife and sometimes the dog, and we don't pack too much stuff. I've got a fishing trip coming up with my two sons next month, and they're both 6'5" and around 220 lbs. It's a boondocking trip, so we'll be packing the generator. They're also in their 20s, and like to drink beer, so that means a full Yeti cooler. Add it all up, and we don't have enough payload. They'll be following in my younger son's Jeep.

My next truck will be a Denali HD truck with a Diesel engine. It would be great for trips like I just described, and it would give me some extra capacity in the event that we decide to buy a bigger Airstream in the future. I'm in no rush to buy a new truck, but it will be and HD truck when the time comes.
I understand the dilema...when I found out I was always traveling "overloaded" with my F150 with Kayaks and generator, etc...I was all of a sudden very cautious while towing at/under posted speed limits. No signs of sagging nor indications of being overloaded, but it was always in my mind. The new F150s I was looking at back in 2017 all had 1700-1800 lb payload, but wife insisted we get a F250...she was right. The improved suspension in the 2017 model was night and day difference in ride over the 2016 I had driven and did not like. 115K miles now, and only complaint besides parking is fuel prices....again at $3.00+/gal and heading up...summer coming too!
Old 05-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
It should be clear that you have no idea what you're talking about. Another armchair engineer. Hook it up right and there's no issues. I've logged over 10 years with mine, from coast to coast multiple times. I've encountered ever type of terrain and weather from hurricanes to pouring rain. And as soon as these stupid lock downs end I will be going to the coast again. Two people with average stuff and a 30 classic loaded with water and food and maybe some extra beer. Never an issue. It will run at 80 if I were to push it, but at 65, 70 is were I typically tow at. Mountain passes or high wind areas I don't even notice other in the fuel consumption. If you need to bring a generator and fire wood and all you toys then yes it is the wrong vehicle.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
An F-150 or Dodge or Chevy 1500 is a minimum tow vehicle. Even the biggest SUVs, Expedition, Yukon XL, don't fully stand up to a half ton pickup.
I would have to say that this is outright wrong. There are many SUVs (maybe not made or sold anymore) that would make and/or are excellent tow vehicles.

Ford diesel Excursion and GM (GMC, Chevy) 3/4 ton Suburban/Yuknon XL to name a few. My GM 3/4 ton SUV has a 9600lb tow rating and 130" wheelbase, the same wheelbase as many 1/2 ton trucks and in some cases more tow capacity than many of the 1/2 tons out there...and at least the GM SUVs of that era have upgraded hubs, transmission, engine to name a few things that go beyond that of what is out there in most 1/2 tons today.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote