Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Newer Sport Bambi Real Tow Weights ?

Has any one actually had their newer Sport weighed? My 2016 22 sport list a 3552# weight as delivered from the factory, but now I am wondering just how much the street side wheel load is ?, considering that side has most of the cabinet storage, closet, tv, sink, refrig, toilet & microwave & two burner top stove. I bring this up because my local garage/tire guy has no problem swapping out the GYM & putting on the Michelin 15" LTX 235/75 or the Good Year Cargo G26 15" but having said this he is wondering whether that street side load will be two much for the tires I have selected even with me keeping trailer max loaded weight to under 3850#. Ideally if Airstream balanced the trailer so there was exactly 1776# on each side I would not be having second thoughts about my tire choices before finding out if the actual weight specs are correct from Airstream. I just ordered a Sherline trailer tongue weight scale just to see what the tongue might weigh, wondering if there is any way I could rig up something to use it to weigh each side of the trailer
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
I've wondered the same thing. Seems like it *must* be heavier on the street side.

I've been meaning to do the Cat Scale thing to find out but haven't got around to it yet.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
I just want to get away from the GYM & with my towing requirements these two 15" tires could work. When I called Airstream last week they said they could put on the Michelin 16" on my sport but then I took a closer look & it looks like it would be to tight unless they are going to make some kind of modification to the trailer.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:55 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
I don't see a problem with the trailer as it is laid out. I also have a 2016 and took it to the local CAT Scale to have it weighed with the tow vehicle. The trailer was pretty well loaded with the stuff we take with us and it was within the max vehicle weight for both the trailer and the combined weight of the TV and trailer.
When you consider how the storage space is laid out....ie. under the bed, the dinette area and etc. Unless you really put a lot of heavy stuff in the closet I don't see a problem. Looking at the trailer loaded as we have it there is no obvious "tilt" to the way it sits and it and when being towed it pulls 'straight and true".
As for putting larger wheels and tires on the unit (as has been noted in other threads) I just don't trust the wheel clearance as being adequate......especially should you ever take it off pavement.
Obvioulsy, I've never had a tire problem with the standard tires that come on the unit and "common sense" tells me that AS must feel confident that their choice of equipment to be very adequate.....why risk reputation and lives on choosing inadequate equipment in such an important area? There seems to be a lot of "paranoia" about the tire/wheel choice AS as made. There are so many factors that come to play with tire failure. Keeping GVW, proper inflation and staying within the speed range of the tires should make them perfectly acceptable. That's my opinion yet I understand you have to "live with yours". Either way..hope you find "peace" in your choice. Good luck.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole View Post
Has any one actually had their newer Sport weighed? My 2016 22 sport list a 3552# weight as delivered from the factory, but now I am wondering just how much the street side wheel load is ?, considering that side has most of the cabinet storage, closet, tv, sink, refrig, toilet & microwave & two burner top stove. I bring this up because my local garage/tire guy has no problem swapping out the GYM & putting on the Michelin 15" LTX 235/75 or the Good Year Cargo G26 15" but having said this he is wondering whether that street side load will be two much for the tires I have selected even with me keeping trailer max loaded weight to under 3850#. Ideally if Airstream balanced the trailer so there was exactly 1776# on each side I would not be having second thoughts about my tire choices before finding out if the actual weight specs are correct from Airstream. I just ordered a Sherline trailer tongue weight scale just to see what the tongue might weigh, wondering if there is any way I could rig up something to use it to weigh each side of the trailer
I received my Sherilne scale . I weighed the tongue with the two 20LB tanks which weighed in at 73LB ,the Sherline scale was on the 400Lb mark exactly(the A/S spec's are 393LB)I then went to my local Cat scale, the trailer weighed 3140LBS attached to my tow vehicle. The sticker on the trailer says 3552LBS unloaded which would indicate a 412LB tongue weight with my propane tanks filled as indicated. The difference A/S = 393, Sherline scale = 400 & the cat scale with 412LB tongue weight transferred to my total tow vehicle weight. Still trying to figure out how to weigh each wheel side when attached to my tow vehicle.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
I received my Sherilne scale . I weighed the tongue with the two 20LB tanks which weighed in at 73LB ,the Sherline scale was on the 400Lb mark exactly(the A/S spec's are 393LB)I then went to my local Cat scale, the trailer weighed 3140LBS attached to my tow vehicle. The sticker on the trailer says 3552LBS unloaded which would indicate a 412LB tongue weight with my propane tanks filled as indicated. The difference A/S = 393, Sherline scale = 400 & the cat scale with 412LB tongue weight transferred to my total tow vehicle weight. Still trying to figure out how to weigh each wheel side when attached to my tow vehicle.
By the time I finished weighing my tow vehicle, then each axle separate, then with the tow vehicle with trailer attached on two separate scales I had a line backed up behind me with horns honking & left with out unhooking to weigh the trailer empty. I must say it was a hassle, I plan on going back with a second person to weigh the trailer unhooked .
Old 04-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Correct me if I'm wrong but most of the issues with the Marathons come on dual axle trailers and is due to tire scrub? I just haven't seem many if any testimonies about tire failure on single axle airstreams.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
... Still trying to figure out how to weigh each wheel side when attached to my tow vehicle.
Usually there is ample room on the curb side of the CAT scale to get the curb side tires off of the scale pads. Weigh the road side tires individually, then subtract from the total axle weight to obtain the curb side individual weight.

You may find that your rig may be able to get the road side wheels off of the scale pads. Usually the call station on the CAT scale is close to the road side toward the front of the vehicle....but you may be able to maneuver the road side trailer tires off of the scale pads.

I try to go to the scales when there is not a lot of 18 wheeler traffic, such as early or late on a Saturday or a Sunday. The guys actually driving the over the road trucks and making a living at it are understandably upset when they have non-revenue downtime caused by a lengthy RV weigh.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote