Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Cayucos , California
New Airstream Rear Bumper

Airstream has recently released a rear bumper for the Sport 22 (p/n 688149). I am considering purchasing one specifically to be used with their Fiamma bike rack (p/n 209397). I talked to the Airstream factory today and technical support said it would work. I also called my local Airstream dealer and they called the factory and said Airstream did not recommend it (for whatever reason).

Does anyone have any additional knowledge on this?

My alternative would be to go to the Arvika Rack that mount on the tongue but I like the looks of the Airstream setup better

Thanks!
2013 Airstream Sport 22
delwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I would simply call the factory again and ask for clarification. Maybe a call to their service center afterword for a price? We met a couple who had the factory add a rear bumper to their 22 and they had a fiamma rack. Sorry I can't remember who or where.
Bruce

Sent from my SM-N900V using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 02-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
delwilli, you must have talked to a different person than the dealer did. This shows people at Airstream are not talking to one another, an all too frequent problem there (even though they're all within walking distance of one another).

I would call customer relations and tell your story to them and ask them if someone capable can check this question out and get back to you with a rational answer.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Cayucos , California
Since I posted I have talked to two people at Airstream. Karen in parts said that Airstream did not recommend the bike rack being attached to the bumper (no reason stated). Dan in customer support said that there was no problem. I then called Colonial Airstream and talked to them. They said that one of the main reasons Airstream came out with the bumper for the Sport 22 was so that the bike rack could be attached and there would be no problem in doing so. That makes sense as the rear bumper is pretty much the same compared to ones on the bigger models. I have decided to go ahead and order the bumper and bike rack and will give a update later
2013 Airstream Sport 22
Old 02-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . Wasn't that bike rack recently recalled or something ? As they say, thinking outside the box, I met a fellow a couple of years ago who had attached a 1956 Oldsmobile front bumper to the rear of his 23 footer. I thought it was VERY cool looking, sorry I can't find the picture I took.....regards, Craig
Old 02-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Cayucos , California
I think the recall had something to do with adding a sticker that said something about limited access from the rear emergency window when the rack was installed
2013 Airstream Sport 22
Old 02-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Cayucos , California
Latest update:

No problem in fitting the bumper but it is too narrow in width to accommodate the Fiamma bike rack. The rack needs a minimum of 59" and the Sport bumper is around 54"

Cancelled my order and then ordered the Arvika rack that mounts on the tongue
2013 Airstream Sport 22
Old 02-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dennis, probably the best choice since there have been questions whether the bumper is strong enough to support the rack and bikes; some bikes are pretty heavy. I presume the newer rack bolts to the body somewhere, but that means more places for water to get inside.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
I'm curious how much the bumper was and if it can be installed by a mechanically inclined owner.
tallen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Poor Karen; she's gotten the full court press. I called AS about ten days ago and they sent me to her. She said that currently (then) there was no bumper and no bikerack, but AS was in the process of preparing a bumper and bikerack kit. I called the dealer and told him; I said to Karen that since my trailer wasn't delivered yet, couldn't they just hold it for a little while and install my bumper at the factory. No, no, no, can't do that. So I called my dealer and asked him to call AS and talk them into it, since I didn't want to have to drag the trailer back to the dealer in 3 months or whatever and have it done. Dealer talked to the AS district sales guy and called back to say: There is no such thing. I told him I was very specific in my question, and Karen was very specific in her answer that this product existed. So the dealer called the district guy back, who called AS, then called my dealer, who called me. It turns out that there is a bumper (and I will have it installed) but there is no bikerack that they recommend because blah blah blah.

The cost is around $800 (give or take 20%) maybe installed--we'll see.

Since the bumper (as I understand it) has to be welded to the frame, I guess you could install it if you know how to weld. Which, if you do, could you drop by with your welding kit? I have some other stuff ...
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
I can weld, but not aluminum )-:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Airstream Forums mobile app
tallen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by delwilli View Post
I think the recall had something to do with adding a sticker that said something about limited access from the rear emergency window when the rack was installed
The recall about the bike rack, if you wish, was not a recall.

The sticker warned you that the rear window could not be opened for an emergency exit, because of a bike being in the way.

So the recall, is really more of a warning.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Lake Forest , California
Thanks delwilli. Had no idea that a bumper for the 22ft. even existed. Ordered one, got it and as soon as the boss has time, he'll install it. Never could figure out why it didn't come with one in the first place.
HrLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Lake Forest , California
We paid $375. But that was just for the chrome section. Husband wants to custom build the rest himself.
HrLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
1999 25' Safari
1978 29' Ambassador
Stuart , Florida
22 fb bumper

I am a welder and have the same idea Would the two shid plates hold the weight? Thanks
TK21 is offline   Reply With Quote