Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Post New Airstream

2005 19' Bambi being delivered to my house next week hopefully.Gotta sign the papers and that is it.I will be done.
Wondering what type of mods should i do to make things easier on myself when using and cleaning things such as the water,black and grey tanks.washing the roof keeping it protected from the elements when i am not using the Airstream during the summer.Etc,Etc,Etc.Any help is greatly appreciated.
Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Forst of all, congratulations!
You won't need much, other than a good hose some mild car wash soap, and regular house cleaning supplies. Maybe some mild cleaner for the plastic tubs in the bathroom.
I'd get a soft bristle car wash brush, and a decent 6-step ladder to get to the roof. Also, a chamois is very nice to dry the aluminum with. It cleans the outside of the windows so well, that you won't even need Windex on them. It is also nice to wipe down interior surfaces with a minimum of soap or solvents. Just rinse it well when you are done and air dry it.
Keep in mind, the RV accessory industry is chock full of more or less useful stuff, but in reality most of the accessories are just gimmicks. Save your money for gas in your tow vehicle.......
Old 07-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I sure would like to build a pole barn or large garage to park my trailer in. Keeping it under a shed sure helps the clearcoat last longer.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Mods

Thanks for the info.
Is there anything else to help me with.This is our very first Travel Trailer.I have never even been in an Airstream either.I just seen how great they looked and for what you get,The longgevity of these things are unbelievable.I will be seeing one up close for the first time when they deliver it to my house.It is really exciting.I feel like a kid on christmas day.I would really love all the help with anything and everything anybody can tell me.What about a generator?I have a pretty good one at the house we use every time the power goes out for periods at a time.(Dadgum Hurricanes.)It is 5550 watts briggs and stratton,but that thing can wake up the neighborhood.What type of generator should i get?Honda,Yamaha or any other kind?What about one that runs off propane?Do i need one to run the A/C unit?Ihave been searching if you all have been wondering but there is so much information i cant keep up with what i read and where i am at.Thanks for help.
Devoman
Old 07-29-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
I have a pretty good one at the house we use every time the power goes out for periods at a time.(Dadgum Hurricanes.)It is 5550 watts briggs and stratton,but that thing can wake up the neighborhood.What type of generator should i get?Honda,Yamaha or any other kind?What about one that runs off propane?Do i need one to run the A/C unit?Ihave been searching if you all have been wondering but there is so much information i cant keep up with what i read and where i am at.Thanks for help.
Devoman
I use a Honda EU2000i at times when boondocking. It is very quiet, and uses very little fuel. Other brands are quiet as well, I believe Yamaha makes a generator similar to the EU2000, but it can run the A/C. Mine can't. You will need at least 3000W to start and run the A/C system. When camping, quiet is very good, loud is not.
I'd go out and get campground reservations where there are hookups for the first few trips, so yu can learn the systems. Full hookups include water, electric, and sewer. Like having your own luxury resort room with you.
Study the user manual and perform a search on "newbie" or "generator" and you will find a million entries to answer your questions.
Best wishes!!
Old 07-29-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Menard's offers a scaffold on wheels like the one at Home Depot called Gorilla Ladders Model SC-4. The company that supplies to Menard's has a better design and price. This is a great tool for painting rooms in the house as well as getting high on the trailer to wash and wax. The person on the scaffold can easily be moved by someone on the ground, even on carpet. Great tool!
I'll try to post the brand name so that maybe you can find a website or local distributor.

Again, I only post the Home Depot version because their website has a picture to give you a general idea. That model is more expensive and the design isn't as safe (IMHO) as the one we purchased.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:55 AM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Keep em coming

Uwe,I think you are very correct about going out and getting some practice and figuring out how everything works.I live just down the road from a state park so it is perfect.Thanks.

I guess one of these folding up ladders that can do 20 different positions is a must have in case something were to happen on top.
This is great information from you all.Keep em coming.Thanks